The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 05:33 PM

Default Pricing a 1951 Martin D-28 with non-original neck

I am considering purchasing a ‘51 D-28 that had its neck replaced by a reputable luthier in the 1980s.

Other than that, and the expected wear and tear to the finish, it has the following issues: a b string crack that’s been well cared for, and a minor back crack that’s been professionally repaired and the bridge has been replaced at some point.

The guitar sounds amazing and feels great. It keeps its intonation perfectly.

It has a beautiful, loud and open sound - but I’m trying to get my head around what the value should be. Does anyone have any advice or ideas as to where the price should be?
Old 03-05-2024, 06:19 PM

7500 plus. If the neck is a Martin neck. Maybe more Thats my take on those.
Gibson SJ200
Old 03-05-2024, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimt View Post
This seems to be on the right track price wise. The Reverb price guide shows that over the last couple years early 50s D-28's have generally sold for between $10k-$15k. But then I look at actual listings and they range from $17k-$35k. Most of those prices are very aspirational but the market is limited as well.

The value of a renecked guitar will depend a lot on the quality of the neck (is it a repurposed Martin neck or something that the luthier or someone else built, and if so what is the quality) and the quality of the work in general. It's not the same thing but the general rule of thumb for a guitar with a headstock repair is that it generally cuts the value in half, and the value goes down even more for subpar work. I'm not sure a well done reneck constitutes cutting the value of a guitar in half necessarily, but maybe 60%? I dunno it's a bit of a subjective thing too because it's probably bigger deal for some than for others. But even if the work is well done and it's a Martin neck I 100% wouldn't pay anywhere close to full value.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimt View Post
That is in line with the asking price. While I doubt it will appreciate much in value, I figure I’m getting that vintage Martin sound at a relatively reasonable price
Old 03-05-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
This seems to be on the right track price wise. The Reverb price guide shows that over the last couple years early 50s D-28's have generally sold for between $10k-$15k. But then I look at actual listings and they range from $17k-$35k. Most of those prices are very aspirational but the market is limited as well.

The value of a renecked guitar will depend a lot on the quality of the neck (is it a repurposed Martin neck or something that the luthier or someone else built, and if so what is the quality) and the quality of the work in general. It's not the same thing but the general rule of thumb for a guitar with a headstock repair is that it generally cuts the value in half, and the value goes down even more for subpar work. I'm not sure a well done reneck constitutes cutting the value of a guitar in half necessarily, but maybe 60%? I dunno it's a bit of a subjective thing too because it's probably bigger deal for some than for others. But even if the work is well done and it's a Martin neck I 100% wouldn't pay anywhere close to full value.
Thank you for the detailed response - I figure it will not appreciate much in value but will be a great daily player for me. It has a great sound, and I can’t help but think if properly renecked, the neck is more about comfort and playability than about the raw sound of the guitar. The body of the guitar is original and sounds fantastic - I’m wondering how much the neck replacement affects the sound compared to a contemporary 1951 instrument.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD-28 View Post
Thank you for the detailed response - I figure it will not appreciate much in value but will be a great daily player for me. It has a great sound, and I can’t help but think if properly renecked, the neck is more about comfort and playability than about the raw sound of the guitar. The body of the guitar is original and sounds fantastic - I’m wondering how much the neck replacement affects the sound compared to a contemporary 1951 instrument.

You’re getting old wood at a discount. Buy it for now.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-05-2024, 10:36 PM

If the replacement neck is Martin in origin, how could one tell if it was a replacement, anyway? Forty years is a long time.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

there's a 52 on the Martin Buy, Sell, Trade forum. I recall it being around 15k. Original neck. Came close to buying it, but life event has put that on hold.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 03-06-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:

It will appreciate in value, especially if it sounds great as you indicate, it will just appreciate at a slower rate than an all original version...but...if you keep it even 5 years, you will definitely make money on it, if and when you sell it.

But more importantly, you found a vintage Martin whose sound and intonation you love and at a really great price. Jump on it quick before someone else does!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-06-2024, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I am considering purchasing a ‘51 D-28 that had its neck replaced by a reputable luthier in the 1980s.

Other than that, and the expected wear and tear to the finish, it has the following issues: a b string crack that’s been well cared for, and a minor back crack that’s been professionally repaired and the bridge has been replaced at some point.

The guitar sounds amazing and feels great. It keeps its intonation perfectly.

It has a beautiful, loud and open sound - but I’m trying to get my head around what the value should be. Does anyone have any advice or ideas as to where the price should be?
Are you sure it is a replaced neck rather than a neck reset?
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-06-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Are you sure it is a replaced neck rather than a neck reset?
I am, the neck is a Martin neck and has an adjustable truss rod - the work was done in the late 1980s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
1951, d-28, martin, value of guitar