The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

The DSS-17 has the physical volume, longer scale and [standard] medium strings, so is going to have a bigger sound overall with more bass than the smaller series, especially with, say, light strings and/or shorter scale. "It's just physics," as has been said around here. I have not played that specific model, but it should deliver a pretty good Martin sound.

Personally, I'll make a suggestion that you save your money while you get clear what sound you really are striving to find. Maybe "compromise" with a real classic Gibson J-45? Plenty of "country" cred with that box, and you can put mediums on and walk into a bluegrass jam anytime, and still bend a string when you want .
Old 02-25-2024, 04:29 PM

It depends on your planned playing situation. At parties, with 5 other guitars, 2 banjos, 3 mandolins and a fiddle? It might tough to hear, 4 feet past your soundhole. On stage? With a band? Then it'll be fine. It might get lost at a party jam, or bluegrass circle. Remember, this is just my opinion, not the Truth. imo.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 02-25-2024, 05:07 PM

So I went to my local guitar shop and they had a D15M as well as a D18. I played them both and wow, the sound was amazing. Both were very comfortable to play and much louder than my 000. I got to play them alone in a room for about an hour. The all mahogany D15M was definitely warmer sounding and I liked that a lot. But the tone and beauty of the 18 is just incredible. I think I’m going to have to scrape up the extra $$ and get the D18. Meanwhile I will also try to find a D16 a couple of you mentioned so I can hear how that sounds.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Sorry to disagree but the DSS-17 is a loud guitar. It's the guitar that makes me want to play ''Great Balls of Fire'' and ''Bat Out of Hell''. It has a different tone than what most BG players are looking for, but it is loud.

The modern D-16 with the 000 depth to me was like ''Where's the beef?'' it left me lacking.

The current D-16 Rosewood Special from GC/MF is that same guitar but with standard dread depth. It also has the same bracing as an HD-28. To me, it's the best buy in the Martin line-up. Go try one if you can and compare it to a 28 or 18. It stands right up there with them. I'm about to go play mine right now. It's a great guitar!
I have heard that... I know they have different bracing than the other 17's or something, but I haven't played one so I didn't comment. I actually didn't know they existed until I saw them mentioned as an exception on a blog/podcast....

Since we posted this I believe our OP has fallen in love with a D18

Last edited by baseball; 02-25-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkmtn88 View Post
So I went to my local guitar shop and they had a D15M as well as a D18. I played them both and wow, the sound was amazing. Both were very comfortable to play and much louder than my 000. I got to play them alone in a room for about an hour. The all mahogany D15M was definitely warmer sounding and I liked that a lot. But the tone and beauty of the 18 is just incredible. I think I’m going to have to scrape up the extra $$ and get the D18. Meanwhile I will also try to find a D16 a couple of you mentioned so I can hear how that sounds.
Well, you went down the rabbit hole fast, huh?
Yes, if I was concerned with getting clean and in the front, the D18 is the fastest way there. And you can actually find pretty good prices on them...If I went back to playing dreads that would be the first thing I'd get...than or an HD-28. Both of those are Loud, Martin-ish and still relatively affordable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000, bluegrass, country music, martin