The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Default 12 string

Is there any negetive effects onn a guitars neck by only using 6 strings on a 12 string guitar?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Fewer strings = less tension on the neck. I don't think that would hurt it. But I'll defer to someone who might actually know a few things more about guitars than me. Maybe I'm missing something?

2010 Taylor GC 7
2008 Martin DX-1
1988 Washburn D-12TS
Old 09-17-2010, 07:23 PM

One of my main concerns is that it will have alot less tension which may kill the tone a bit, plus it would seem a bit harder to play . Most 12 strings ive played were set up for ex-light strings - Id suggest you get a separate 6 string
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

You might get some string buzz. A properly set-up 12 string will have neck relief adjusted for the tension of all the strings. Removing a substantial portion of that tension may leave the neck with too little relief. If the instrument has a dual-action truss rod, you can dial in more relief. And, it may just be fine without any relief adjustment. You also have the issue of which nut slots to use. No combination will give you equal spacing between strings and equal distances of the outermost strings from the edges of the fingerboard. But that may not be a huge issue.

As for structural damage, I don't think that would happen. The guitar may need some time to settle in to the lower tension, and then again to settle in to the higher tension if you restring with all 12 strings. But that shouldn't be a big deal. If I've missed some obvious issue, someone else will point it out, I'm confident.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc View Post
Is there any negetive effects onn a guitars neck by only using 6 strings on a 12 string guitar?
You'll only get half the sound...
Old 09-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
You'll only get half the sound...

I like thyis answer the best
No really..I had thought of the tension and action but didn't really have any knowledge or a foundation for this.

But I still like Glen's answer. It could like playing 2 guitars with 12 strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion