The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 AM

Smile J-45 which differs from current Standard model

Hi guys,

I've been offered a Gibson J-45 which looks and sounds really nice. However, it's different from the current model and I'm hoping somebody can tell me why!

The serial number is 00753055 which I think dates it to Bozeman, March 2003. However it has white tuning pegs, orange sticker, white nut which are all different from the current instrument. Also, I think the logo is gold-colored instead of MOP and the logo on the case has the phrase, "Tone, feel, appearance" which is not on new cases. It is fitted with a transducer but no volume control so is not the current L R Baggs Element. When did these changes take place? Is it a variation on the standard model J-45?

Really hoping you can help.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:28 PM

Sounds like it's about right. I'm not sure when Gibson dropped the plain decal with gold lettering on the headstock in favor of inlaying their name in mother-of-pearl on the headstock, but for the longest time, the Bozeman J-45's were meant to be replicas of the ones that came out of the Kalamazoo factory in the 1950's. In those days, J-45's and J-50's were meant to be simply appointed, quality acoustic guitars, and for the first couple of decades, the Bozeman J-45's copied that ethos.
I can't speak to the electronics. That's always been a rather irrelevant concern to me.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Gibson changes its specs every single day. From stamps to coloured logos to actual model names... Just typical Gibson lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randers View Post
Gibson changes its specs every single day.
Actually, it's every third day.

OP: There are very, very many different looking J-45s that Gibson has built through the years. Currently there are at least 7 different models of the J-45 available (Standard - TV - Rosewood - Gold - Blue - Saito - Cobraburst - probably more). Don't worry about it - accept the offer, and bond.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Actually, it's every third day.

Gold - Blue - Saito - Cobraburst
I get a shiver down my spine each time I visual each of those finishes in my mind...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, differences, gibson, j-45