The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 06:04 PM

Default Necks and Truss-rods and ebay.

A friend bought a 2002 D35 off ebay this summer and it was perfectly set up... as the winter went on the neck concaved and needed an adjustment... but there was no more turn left in the rod.

Does this mean it needs a whole new neck?

How many turns does it take to reach the end?

... and how can you trust buying a 15-20 year old Acoustic off ebay or anywhere for that matter.. When it might take 6 months to a year to see if the rod is done.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:10 PM

Hmm - I wonder if that might be a broken truss rod. I hope not - that could be major surgery.

Good luck!

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 03-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Depends.

Stewmac sells a spacer kit that adds some more adjustment to the rod - basically a thick washer. Look up truss rod rescue kit.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Fazool - I've seen that Stew-Mac kit (pictures and instructions) - will it work on a through-the-sound hole adjustable truss rod? It looks more like it will handle the peghead adjustable rod, but not sure about the sound hole adjustment - I don't see one listed for Martin. That might be a great solution if it will work.

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 03-16-2018, 09:04 PM

I've never seen a guitar with a broken truss rod, this neck, the action is just a bit high, and he just wanted to tweak it won't budge, then he took it to a luthier and he said the trust is spent.

I played the guitar last night and it sounded great...
Old 03-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Guest 1928

Without measurements there's just no way give you any technical advice. You seem to think the truss rod is the issue, but later say the action is high. Those are two different, possibly unrelated things. I will say that it's very odd for the old 1-way Martin truss rod to break down. They're very sturdy and reliable. Not that one couldn't break, but it's certainly not normal. IMO you need to take this guitar to a different repairman.

Last edited by Guest 1928; 03-16-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

You dont adjust action with the truss rod - only relief. See a tech and get it done right -
Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

You and/or your tech are confused.

The truss rod does not adjust action and should not be used as such.

The truss rod adjusts relief only.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

That's correct, the truss rod straightens the neck for relief, and the bridge saddle and nut adjust the action. Originally the OP said the issue was a concave neck, hence the TR should be adjusted, the 2nd post by the OP says the action is just a little high. Which one is the major issue, the concave neck, or the "just a little high" action ???
Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Because of the extra relief in the neck, OP noted that the action became higher. If it's still a bit high but playable, I'd leave it in case it moves back in the summer. Some guitars in areas with extreme seasonal differences will have both summer and winter saddles.

Sometimes on older guitars where the neck has moved over the years, yeah, there isn't enough truss rod adjustment left. I have a couple like that.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM

We on this forum often cite the truism that a truss rod is not for adjusting action, but we also know that where excessive relief is the cause of unwanted high action a truss rod adjustment is exactly what's called for and may be all that's needed - hence, not helpful advice in every case.

If the reader doesn't understand that it may be best to see your friendly tech.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:17 AM

Wow... the responses here seem to miss the point... or ignore what I've posted... or answer any question. READ!

A friend bought a guitar off e-bay this summer, the action was perfect, as the winter went on he felt the neck concave a bit, so he tried to turn the truss a bit and it was stuck, didn't move.

He brought it to a luthier and he said the truss was spent. (not sure the words broken were used)

I played it last night, and it felt great, the action was just a bit high.

The questions are: (adding some new ones)

Why can't he turn it anymore? I never experienced that!

What's spent mean?

How long does it take to turn a Truss until it doesn't turn anymore?

How can you buy used 10-15 year old Guitars on ebay, without knowing the truss has reached it's limits? Does that mean it's broke?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Where in my two post do I say the neck was adjusted to adjust action...

"A Friend tried to adjust the neck because it was concave.... he tried to adjust the truss himself, didn't move....The tech tried to correct the concave--ness, said it was spent.... I played it last night and it sounded great, action a bit high"....

Maybe you're confused... and I mean that tongue in check... I just find it funny that people don't really read and comprehend the post.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKT View Post
Because of the extra relief in the neck, OP noted that the action became higher. If it's still a bit high but playable, I'd leave it in case it moves back in the summer. Some guitars in areas with extreme seasonal differences will have both summer and winter saddles.

Sometimes on older guitars where the neck has moved over the years, yeah, there isn't enough truss rod adjustment left. I have a couple like that.
This!!! is a great answer, and one I have to stick too myself!!! because even though I know this I'm tempted to get the wrench.

But as the OP, the question, or point I'm trying to get to is... what does it mean when the truss is stuck ? or doesn't turn anymore ?... I've never experienced that.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewStrummer View Post
I've never seen a guitar with a broken truss rod, this neck, the action is just a bit high, and he just wanted to tweak it won't budge, then he took it to a luthier and he said the trust is spent.

I played the guitar last night and it sounded great...
I was at my local music store and the tech was doing a setup on Gibson bass and he barely turned the truss rod nut and the end of the truss rod snapped off. No money to be made from that setup. Yea, he was bummed.............

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online...tructions.html Would have saved the techs bacon. IDKFS but he was talking about replacing the neck.

If the gituar the OP was referring to has a Gibson style TR, maybe the washer is missing and the nut is just bottoming out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion