The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Yikes. Another vote to return this guitar and find a winner.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:24 PM
Guest 1511

Count my vote as for returning it. I don't know what it is, but a ridge right there isn't right. That top should be smooth. It could be that when they formed that top the sander took out a bit too much in that low spot next to the ridge. I see that kind of thing on Gibsons. I had a Hummingbird once with a chisel gouge in the fretboard (got $500 extra off for that chisel gouge). Don't take their B stock schlep, get one built right.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:04 AM

Send it back. If you are concerned enough to show us then you must be concerned enough to send it back.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Return it. If you are finding fault with it now, it will never be a lifetime keeper. You will always consider it a flawed guitar and probably trade it away sometime in the future, at a loss.
Send it back.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm not one to shy away from a guitar with some faults. I've bought guitars with repaired headstocks, finish cracks, crack cracks, lifting bridges, etc. The fact that it's new and should be perfect aside, I wouldn't touch this one.

So what's the verdict? Going back and continuing the search?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 AM

If the guitar sounded awesome I’d probably keep it because a guitar’s sound is its most important attribute to me. I’m not a person that likes to own guitars for a while then resell them, though. If I had potential resale value in mind I’d send it back. Of course if I intended to keep it because it sounded great, I’d still do some legwork like contacting Gibson and getting their opinion on finish flaw vs structural flaw.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 AM

UPDATE: I contacted the music store that I bought it from and he said that he would send out another! I'm really impressed with this store's customer service!

WHEW! Ya it just doesn't look OR feel right. I'll be shipping this one back and will wait for the other J45 to come in. It'll be worth the wait to have one without possible structural issues for sure.
G7th Capos
Old 03-17-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
UPDATE: I contacted the music store that I bought it from and he said that he would send out another! I'm really impressed with this store's customer service!

WHEW! Ya it just doesn't look OR feel right. I'll be shipping this one back and will wait for the other J45 to come in. It'll be worth the wait to have one without possible structural issues for sure.
Don't forget we will need to inspect the replacement! We now have an investment in this 45.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthemiller View Post
Don't forget we will need to inspect the replacement! We now have an investment in this 45.
Yes Sir! Gladly! I can't tell you how relieved I was when the manager was so willing to send out another. For some reason, I thought I might have to fight a little. I was wrong and this store is top notch. I'll make a diff NGD post when the other arrives with the name of the store. They have been top notch!
G7th Capos
Old 03-17-2018, 10:01 AM

No sorry , with great respect that one would go back for a refund it's a great shame because it's a nice looking and no doubt sounding example but think of a few years down the line . Even if it was a hydration problem that area looks weak . Good luck
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
...I contacted the music store that I bought it from and he said that he would send out another! I'm really impressed with this store's customer service!
Quote:
...I can't tell you how relieved I was when the manager was so willing to send out another. For some reason, I thought I might have to fight a little. I was wrong and this store is top notch. I'll make a diff NGD post when the other arrives with the name of the store...
Please do - this is the kind of place I'd be more than happy to deal with...
Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Glad to hear you are getting squared away. Looked really bad to me.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Glad you acted quickly and they are doing right by you. I have a 000-18 going back to Martin. I knew it wasn't right from the start and should have tried to get them to replace it, although given the attitude of the dealer at this point, I doubt he would have been as accommodating as your dealer is. You did the right thing. For that kind of money, it should be perfect. They can deal with Gibson and getting reimbursed for it.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM

I am glad you returned it, there is no use sitting around with a less than perfect guitar at that price.

I don't build guitars and I won't speak for the builders here. In my experience, that looks like a paint ridge that will vanish as it dries.

I could be wrong, but I have seen that on guitars before. Probably quite a few if I thought about it for a while.

rct
Old 03-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Good resolution, and I look forward to your NGD!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion