The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Mass Street Music...one of the best for Martin repairs?

I bought a 2004 Martin D-18V recently that had a known crack or two on the face and some other minor damage from being setting in the back of a mom & pop music store in Illinois for 10-years without being played, humidified or tended to at all. I have tried and tried to find a credible luthier in or around my Springfield, MO homebase to do all the repair/restoration work and can find none that I feel good about. So...next week, I'm taking the 4-hour drive to Lawrence, KS to Mass Street Music and putting it in their hands for some big time TLC.

Can I have some personal reviews about repairs done to Martin guitars in particular by Mass Street Music? I know that they are the guys Martin factory sends a bunch of their repair work to. I don't mind spending the extra money to have my new guitar fixed right and restored to like-new shape since it's gonna be my keeper.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

They are 100% great in that department. Jim Baggett and company are 1000% trustworthy and very highly-regarded. So +1 for Mass Street.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Probably should call before driving 4 hiurs.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Don't know anything about Mass Street Music and their repair shop but if Jon Garon says they're great that's plenty good enough for me!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 PM

If Martin sends a lot of work to them for repairs, that pretty much says what they can do as far as I'm concerned. They reset the neck on my 50 year old D-28 a few years back and did a great job. They also did a neck reset on my buddy's '65 D-12-20 - and my '88 Guild J 12 string. Same story - no regrets!

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 03-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Don't know anything about Mass Street Music and their repair shop but if Jon Garon says they're great that's plenty good enough for me!
Indeed....An endorsement from Jon Garon is no joke. That man knows his guitars.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:59 PM

Mass Street is the place to go. Also in KC you could use Keith George, actually in Smithville. He has been around forever and does Martin repair. Both have a great reputation

The guys at Mass St are available and easy to talk to, in person or by phone. Mike or Matt would probably do the repair. I usually talk to Matt when I go in
https://massstreetmusic.com/pages/repairs

Last edited by Rimshot; 03-16-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:06 PM

Saw Matt today and got some help. Great shop all around. Matt fixed a delamination by an end pin for me and it came out great.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:07 PM

They’ve done two neck resets on my old Martins and I highly recommend them. When you’re there, make sure you ask Matt if you can see his new dog, Gilly.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:58 AM

I no longer live in the area, but still get to KC once or twice a year. Mass Street Music is definitely the best acoustic-oriented music store in the region, and the best place to get your guitar worked on.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I bought a 2004 Martin D-18V recently that had a known crack or two on the face and some other minor damage from being setting in the back of a mom & pop music store in Illinois for 10-years without being played, humidified or tended to at all. I have tried and tried to find a credible luthier in or around my Springfield, MO homebase to do all the repair/restoration work and can find none that I feel good about. So...next week, I'm taking the 4-hour drive to Lawrence, KS to Mass Street Music and putting it in their hands for some big time TLC.

Can I have some personal reviews about repairs done to Martin guitars in particular by Mass Street Music? I know that they are the guys Martin factory sends a bunch of their repair work to. I don't mind spending the extra money to have my new guitar fixed right and restored to like-new shape since it's gonna be my keeper.
Short answer is yes.

Longer answer: I live in KC and spent my 4+ years in Lawrence. My wife is from Lawrence and her parents still reside in Lawrence. I have found Mass Street to be world class. Admittedly, I have gotten cheap and used another well known Kansas City luthier recently....and I learned my lesson big time. I will only be using Mass Street for repairs from now on. Jim Baggett (owner) is a super guy with a whole lot of integrity and know how. They are quite expensive imo for repairs. That said, if you have an instrument that you feel is more than simply your tool to play music....I would only entrust that type of instrument to Mass Street (in this geographic area) for repairs. Those guys really do know what they are doing and you don't end up with irreversible surprises. You should know...typically they do not have a fast turnaround in their repair department as they are very busy. I understand that they have expanded a bit to allow for speedy set-ups and minor tweaks or adjustments....but repairs may take some time to complete. I'd suggest that you call them and book a slot with them so that you don't drop your instrument off and have it unavailable for a month.

Also....it is my understanding that Bradford and Franzke (West Plaza area in Kansas City, MO) are doing high quality repairs. I recently visited the shop for the first time. It is a small-ish place that had a bustling repair business going. I recognized one of the repair techs from spending time at Mass Street. I asked him if he was from Lawrence and used to work at Mass Street and was delighted to find out that yes....he had. I haven't used this shop yet....but depending on the repair and/or instrument that I need worked on....I think I am willing to give them a try.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 AM

Another vote for Mass Street! I live about 45 min away but had them do a proper set up on my Martin and it came out wonderfully.

Neat back story about it, I wasn't all that enthralled with it (I've since sold it) but was thinking about just selling it. Both Eric and Matt (I believe) said well, have you ever had a proper set up done to it since you bought it new? I said no, and they told me to hold off on selling it and to let them do a set up first.

When it was finished it felt like a completely different guitar.

Everyone there is TOP NOTCH and I'd trust them with anything guitar related.
G7th Capos
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
Another vote for Mass Street! I live about 45 min away but had them do a proper set up on my Martin and it came out wonderfully.

Neat back story about it, I wasn't all that enthralled with it (I've since sold it) but was thinking about just selling it. Both Eric and Matt (I believe) said well, have you ever had a proper set up done to it since you bought it new? I said no, and they told me to hold off on selling it and to let them do a set up first.

When it was finished it felt like a completely different guitar.

Everyone there is TOP NOTCH and I'd trust them with anything guitar related.

Well, I’m actually making the drive from Springfield, MO to Lawrence, KS tomorrow morning to drop the D-18V in their hands for however long it takes to do things right...and to get a proper setup done on my OM-21 if they can do it right away before I head back home. I plan on having them ship the guitar back to me if they will, and to keep it as long as it needs to be. I’m in no major hurry.

I’m hoping I can report back with glowing reports.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post

As an alum of the University of Kansas... I'll echo the other responses here. Go there and enjoy the experience!

Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 PM

I drove from Bakersfield to Lawrence,Kansas on my way to Vinton, Iowa. Jim Bagget and I sat upstairs and talked about Martins, Collings, and Merrills. By the end of our two hours, I was convinced he was tuned in to vintage Martins and knew how to fix them as well as anyone, from George Youngblood in Connecticut, Joe Konkoly at Elderly, to Alan Perlman in San Francisco and many others in between.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion