The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Maybe it's a typo? Regardless, I hope you get it straightened out. Best of luck!
Might be a typo. I originally emailed them for a price for a plek, and they told me $525, when I said that's more than double anyone else they said oh im sorry I priced a neck reset? I though that was odd. Now they want 225 for the plek and 305 additional for the fret dress afterward? Feeling like a bait and switch. Gonna have a chat with them.

Alvarez classical 1975
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 AM

Hmmm..that seems like an awfully long time. Maybe other issues arose while servicing. Did you have a PLEK service reserved, or just send it in? I know I had to reserve a spot, and they said it'll be done during the 4 days I'm camping down there.

Can't wait to hear their explanation!
scott
Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Hmmm..that seems like an awfully long time. Maybe other issues arose while servicing. Did you have a PLEK service reserved, or just send it in? I know I had to reserve a spot, and they said it'll be done during the 4 days I'm camping down there.

Can't wait to hear their explanation!
scott
Not a reserved time but they knew a week ahead it was coming. From what I heard no one looked at it for 2 weeks. Nothings been done to it yet. I think they FORGOT I sent it in for a plek. Calling today

Alvarez classical 1975
Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

I've only owned one SCGC guitar (D-12) and I should have never sold it? But that kind of customer service is pretty poor based on the quality of the instruments they sell? I bet if Richard Hoover got wind of this story it might take a different turn?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I've only owned one SCGC guitar (D-12) and I should have never sold it? But that kind of customer service is pretty poor based on the quality of the instruments they sell? I bet if Richard Hoover got wind of this story it might take a different turn?
If I don't get a straight answer today I might be trying to reach him. Seems like a great, caring guy.

Alvarez classical 1975
Old 03-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrguy View Post
If I don't get a straight answer today I might be trying to reach him. Seems like a great, caring guy.
You know, with SCGC's fine reputation, and many testimonials thereto on AGF, I'd start with the assumption that this is an error at their end in understanding your order, or in internal communications. But certainly, there is a glitch to be corrected here.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:37 AM

SCGC makes great guitars.

Last edited by Dwight; 03-16-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Not a reserved time but they knew a week ahead it was coming. From what I heard no one looked at it for 2 weeks. Nothings been done to it yet. I think they FORGOT I sent it in for a plek. Calling today
If they haven't done anything yet, maybe you can just get it back and only eat the shipping? I agree that this sounds like a weird situation, or at least unclear communication. At 20 years old, there could be some major playing wear. Do you actually need a full or partial re-fret? Is this something more involved like pulling the existing frets, planing the fret board flat, and then installing new frets?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Uodate

Okay total misunderstanding. The new price wasn’t in addition. It included. Went up a little cause it needed a saddle. Richard Hoover called me and apologized for the mixup. Say what you want but that is awesome.

Alvarez classical 1975
Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 AM

How sweet is that!?! Seems like such a cool company and owner. Very happy I finally was able to afford one of these gems!
scott
Old 03-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Okay total misunderstanding. The new price wasn’t in addition. It included. Went up a little cause it needed a saddle. Richard Hoover called me and apologized for the mixup. Say what you want but that is awesome.
Yes it is! And the way it should be...happy for you! Let us know the results when you get it back...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=PgKB7DRf4QU

Check it out ..... Santa Cruz sent this out on a SC news letter.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-16-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Right. I watched several videos on pleking and everyone one included dressing the frets as a round up and part of the cost. Santa Cruz said 225 for the plek, which is totally reasonable, but now want 305 more to dress the frets. Calling Monday
I think the term "dressing the frets" is incorrect. The whole process is/use to be called "Level, re-crown and polish". The PLEK levels the frets which will leave any frets that are machined flat. Then the tech has to restore the fret(s) crown(s) and polish by hand.

Here in the Seattle area, Mike Lull Guitars has a PLEK and charges:
The average cost of a PLEK is $282.50 which includes a full setup and adjustment. Some instruments require that the frets be *glued in place which is approximately a 1/2 hour labor charge at our standard $85 hourly rate.
http://mikelull.com/index.html
*Sometime the PLEK process will dislodge frets that are not fully seated or loose.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 03-16-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Okay total misunderstanding. The new price wasn’t in addition. It [is] included. Went up a little cause it needed a saddle. Richard Hoover called me and apologized for the mixup. Say what you want but that is awesome.
Glad that it was resolved in a satisfactory way for you. I would have been surprised if it were otherwise with a fine company like SCGC. I'm still haunted by that H-13 that I first saw at Gryphon 25 years ago..... a lovely little guitar, but well beyond my means at the time.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Glad to have the update -- and glad it worked out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion