The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't know where or how this started but to me there is no such thing as a OM short scale. It's a 000. A 000 long scale would be an OM. What am I missing?
..... Alot. The lines between the two are blurred, & each builder has his own versions of each. But if you give an OM a short scale, it is still an OM. Historically (as per Martin), and there are exceptions, an OM is characterized by a longer scale length, thinner braces, & wider string spacing. The 000, though the same body size (unless it's a 12 fret), has shorter scale, heftier bracing, and narrower string spacing. Those are basically the 3 things that differentiate the two. But different builders swap details, so the bottom line is; don't get hung up on the title! Call it a triple-ought OM, if you like! Or a 000M!
Steve
Old 03-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Because different manufacturers and different people use different names for various sizes and shapes and similar names for slightly different sizes and shapes.

Some use the term OM to refer to the whole package (guitar plus neck placement plus scale length), others use it just to refer to body size, yet others might use a term to refer to body size with certain fret location (12 vs 14).

There are no standards

When talking about Martin's exclusively, the OM designation meant wider nut not short scale, I thought

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-15-2018, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=Frozen Rat;5670144]With that logic a dread should never be short scale so the J-45 is all wrong.

Gibson is, well Gibson! they get a pass.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak2 View Post
My Santa Cruz OMS is a 14 fret short scale (24.75") OM guitar.
Same with my Eastman E6 Limited.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-15-2018, 04:36 PM

To further add to Rokdog's comment, The E8, E10, E20 and the E40 all come with 24.9 scale length.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-15-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak2 View Post
My Santa Cruz OMS is a 14 fret short scale (24.75") OM guitar.
Which is a Gibson scale length. Martin short scale is 24.9"
Old 03-15-2018, 05:55 PM

Aaak!

Both Collings and Santa Cruz Guitar Company offer their 000 models with a long scale (25.5") standard! Someone didn't get the memo!

And Dana Bourgeois confuses us all by offering his OM with either long scale (25.5") or short scale (25") - you choose. What!?

How the heck can I choose, when I'm sooooo confused?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush Tom View Post
To further add to Rokdog's comment, The E8, E10, E20 and the E40 all come with 24.9 scale length.
Tom
Tom's right... 24.9"
Sure is easy to play and that E6 OM Limited of mine sounds heavenly.
I keep thinking I must have got the best one they ever built.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM

Things were fine until Martin started selling the less expensive 000 models with long scale. Before that it was clear that a 000 was short scale unless it was a 12 fret. Historically what Martin has done has to do with $ and so we can look at this modern nomenclature and a financial decision. That Im sure of but Im guessing when I say it may have been cheaper to have just one scale length for the less expensive lines.
As far as the other Mfg, they dont count, it is Martin that has determined the definition of things. Small builders can call things whatever they want but why. We should follow conventions so conversation can be understood. I could put a plow on my car and call it a tractor but its not. Gibson never could figure out what scale length to use except when they copied Martin. Taylor doesnt build a 000 and that covers the main builders.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Tom's right... 24.9"
Sure is easy to play and that E6 OM Limited of mine sounds heavenly.
I keep thinking I must have got the best one they ever built.
You did!
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM

I like the way bourgeois does it. Each model (0, 00, OM, Dread, etc) refers to body size. He offers standard or short scale as options on most models. Changing the name of the OM model because it is ordered with a short scale seems silly. Should he change the name of all the others too? Does he need to come up with two names for each model (a short scale and long scale version)? Seems like the simplest way is to just have the OM refer to body size, and not change the name when custom options are added (short scale, cutaway, etc).
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
..... Alot. The lines between the two are blurred, & each builder has his own versions of each. But if you give an OM a short scale, it is still an OM. Historically (as per Martin), and there are exceptions, an OM is characterized by a longer scale length, thinner braces, & wider string spacing. The 000, though the same body size (unless it's a 12 fret), has shorter scale, heftier bracing, and narrower string spacing. Those are basically the 3 things that differentiate the two. But different builders swap details, so the bottom line is; don't get hung up on the title! Call it a triple-ought OM, if you like! Or a 000M!
Steve
I have a Martin with an OM/000 body, a 25.4" scale length, 1/4" scalloped braces, and a 1 11/16" nut width. What do I call this guitar?!?!?
Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 PM

Default OOOM

I like that - OOOM.

Part of the differences between them is location of the sound hole. For instance, to make an OOO 14 fret would require moving the sound hole, theoretically losing what they call the "sweet spot" for sound hole placement.

But these things can all be done and sometimes are, less so by8 martin than individual builders. Mostly, it's just convention.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know where or how this started but to me there is no such thing as a OM short scale. It's a 000. A 000 long scale would be an OM. What am I missing?
Martin doesn't even keep its "rules" consistently. Why should the rest of us be held to that "standard?"

The luthier who made my short-scale custom calls it an OM. That's good enough for me.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
My Santa Cruz says OMS inside. That's a 14 fret 000 in Martin terms. I don't know that that is in Taylor speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Well, I just put $ down on a Santa Cruz OM that will have a short scale. Why the need to rant?
My it be the GAS killer "OMS" is and give you the same years of nearly indescribable pleasure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion