The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
I would not disagree at all with the idea of learning to read notation. But I bought Guitar Pro 6 a month or so ago, and for songs I'm learning, I print both notation and tab from it. I use the tab for fingerstyle mostly, but I'm also slowly learning to read notation. The tab on Guitar Pro shows the note durations and ties as well as slides, hammer on's and pull offs. To me, the best of both worlds.
The notation is not good though - because it's produced automatically with no educated oversight. Don't use GP to teach yourself notation (at least, not how rhythms should be notated). Look at professionally published sheet music to see how it should be done.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:38 PM

I teach both tab and notation to my students. I also use Sibilius 6 software exclusively as I can have very detailed tablature with all the correct nuances and rhythmic values of standard notation.
With that said, music is a language, best to learn to read it to get a full grasp, especially if you find yourself trying to grasp at straws.
Reading multiple notation notes usually implies a 3 / 4 note chord form so with a good understanding of reading it is pretty straight forward.
I quite often see a big mistake by many beginning note readers (who play very well but want to improve reading ability) is wanting to jump in to a moderately difficult level without any of the basic concepts.
Think of it as elementary school and learning to read, get thru grade 1-7 before jumping into the high school level and beyond. An in-depth understanding of "music grammer" is essential to experience any type of learning curve in the note reading realm (imo)
Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
I would not disagree at all with the idea of learning to read notation. But I bought Guitar Pro 6 a month or so ago, and for songs I'm learning, I print both notation and tab from it. I use the tab for fingerstyle mostly, but I'm also slowly learning to read notation. The tab on Guitar Pro shows the note durations and ties as well as slides, hammer on's and pull offs. To me, the best of both worlds.
Bob
I use GP6 as well and find that it is generally quite good, however; the program does not allow for customizing the placement of rests on either the "tab" staff or the "standard notation" staff. For multi-voiced instrumental guitar pieces this is a major shortcoming as is the inability to place dynamic and timing instructions (ritard, rallentando, etc.) correctly in the score. The latter can be addressed when the file is saved as a pdf but the former is currently insurmountable.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I use GP6 as well and find that it is generally quite good, however; the program does not allow for customizing the placement of rests on either the "tab" staff or the "standard notation" staff. For multi-voiced instrumental guitar pieces this is a major shortcoming as is the inability to place dynamic and timing instructions (ritard, rallentando, etc.) correctly in the score. The latter can be addressed when the file is saved as a pdf but the former is currently insurmountable.
Another thing that I don't like about GP, (I have v5 tho) is that in order to have a half note bass and a quarter note treble played at the same time you have to set up two instruments in the tab. I wish they would adjust that to allow it on one track.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The notation is not good though - because it's produced automatically with no educated oversight. Don't use GP to teach yourself notation (at least, not how rhythms should be notated). Look at professionally published sheet music to see how it should be done.
Jon, I'm not following you on this, can you add some more? I'm not using the program for learning notation; I have some other sources (Modern Method for Guitar). But you can input either notation or input tab if you're writing the music in GP6. The songs they provide might have been created with notation, because I do see slurs or notes played for example at the 4th beat of a measure and held thru the first beat of the next one. Also in some songs, they have the entire arrangement with horns, piano, drums, bass, etc. I'm just drawing from it and taking what is useful. I do that with a number of resources.

For the op, GP6 is $60 in the states.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write