The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long tooth View Post
…Our music leader uses a iPad but he's about 20 years younger and probably a lot smarter/tech savvy than I am. But he futzes with it all the time...swipe, swipe, swipe through 'pages' looking for his music. I pull out my fake sheet and I am ready to go. Easy Peasy...
Hi Lt…
That is an issue of your music leader either using the wrong app or he doesn't know how to use the apps he has yet. It's not a tablet issue, or technology issue. It also sounds like your culture may be spontaneous. Our Worship Team gets song lists 1-2 weeks before rehearsals, and we walk into rehearsal ready to roll.

This is all off-topic because the original poster wants a no-tablet solution (actual paper).

I've got hundreds of charts in the music room in my house in 3 binders each 4" thick. But I've switched my music to iPad for the past 5 years now (I was an early adopter).

I can build a 6 song list in under 30 seconds using UnrealBook on an iPad and modify that list in well under 30 seconds. And I can jump from song-to-song in 3 seconds at the touch of a drop down menu…

That's far easier than carrying 400 charts in multiple 4" thick notebooks to Worship Team Rehearsal and then rearranging the pages to put them in an order.

As much as I love paper, it's no longer a part of my worship leading.

It is about as much work to use an iPad as when I didn't. It's just a matter of how I want to spend the time, and I prefer spending my time so I end up carrying hundreds of song charts around in a 1 pound package.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-13-2015, 10:33 AM

Hello Cisco7,
My music is printed word documents in a one inch three ring binder. Hole punched left/right so if the song is on two pages I see both. Print size is more important to me than getting it all on one page. Song title, artist, capo, key, signature, misc info at the top of the page.
Chords are placed above the lyrics and in bold. I mark the measures with a /. This helps me keep a steady rhythm and my yodeling in sync. I only keep the songs I’m currently playing or learning in this binder. All my other songs are in a bigger binder on the shelf.
This guitar thing is for personal pleasure only so this setup works fine for me. I did start out with the plastic sleeves but didn’t like them and since all my songs are word documents I can easily print a new one if I spill my beer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write