The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2023, 03:23 PM

I’m hoping to try one someday
Old 02-24-2023, 03:30 PM

I likewise (to the OP) have an OM 03R Vine Special. I could be incorrect, but I think only difference between the vine and the "normal" OM 03 is the vine inlays. In any event, the comments made by the OP are right on the money. I am not as flowery in describing stuff, but suffice it to say that it sounds amazing-at least to me. I have also owned a OM 05, a P-09, and a P-03. All were really good, really good.......

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 02-24-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenn View Post
Larrivee has 2 basic bracing patterns. While I cannot describe them accurately, generally they fall into these categories

1. Models with zero in front of a number- 03, 05, 09 etc

2. Models with a number in front of a zero-40,50 and 60

The number 2 style are more Martinesque in bracing pattern and produce a tone I like better for what I play-flatpicker. I would say the guitars in the 2 category are a bit more balanced than Martins(good bass but not boomy or woofy) with nice treble clarity and a similar dryness in the mid range.

Great guitars.
This is pretty much it in a nutshell. The 'regular' Larrivees use a symmetrical bracing pattern that gives a much more balanced response across the spectrum compared to the way most acoustics are braced, which try to mimic the all-but-industry-standard Martin-style bracing.

The 'Legacy' series 40-50-60 guitars use what JCL terms a 'hybrid' style of bracing that's more similar to the asymmetrical Martin style and has a bit warmer harmonic response, although still superior, to my ear, to typical Martin.

My own preference is the symmetrical-braced series, but not by a very wide margin. Either one is a great choice; superior guitars at about half the cost of equivalent Martins.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 02-24-2023, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
As an owner of Three Larrivee D40's, I have to say your BlueGrass model is by far the prettiest I have seen.

The JCL inlaid emblem on the 12th fret...is just perfect. Just a little bit of bling that adds a lot of excitement. I have loved many of Larrivees inlays...but this particular one is just right. The size adds a central balance to the aesthetics of the guitar.

Got huge GAS now thanks to you!

Is the nut width on the bluegrass model 1 & 11/16th?
Yes, 1 11/16 inches and it has the newer Larrivee string spacing (introduced circa 2019) at the nut that places the outer strings closer to the edge of the fingerboard and is a thumb-fretter's dream at least to me it is. The 1 11/16 inch nut width feels bigger with the newer string spacing and I think many players who don't like this nut width just may find the Larrivee's to their liking.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-25-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I’ve owned four Larrivee’s and still have two (own Forum VI and SD40r, sold OM40 and C03TE). For me the necks are just about perfect. I like the balance but also like the better projection of the 40 series. My only complaint would be they lack a little bit of the wow factor that you hear and feel when you play a lightly built Martin or similar. But so far that brief wow, while tempting, has not swayed me.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:22 AM

My JCL 40th Anniversary Edition Sitka/EIR has exceptional clarity combined with lush overtones. It sounds very similar to my much more expensive Goodall. Perfect for fingerstyle and vocal accompaniment as well as strumming. The JCL has special hand shaped bracing which produces a mature, aged tone. But even the entry level 03 series will give great tone. And the typical Larrivee balance makes for great recording. My Brazilian Larrivees have another level of glassy reverb. Spectacular guitars.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 02-25-2023, 11:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the back-&-forth.

I'm a newbie to AGF, and am stoked to be sharing, educating myself, absorbing your comments and opinions.

One of y'all has in your signature, something to the effect of, "...still searching for "the one""; which i can totally relate to. I've got an Eastman E20OM-MR-TC on its way (thermo cured red spruce top with Madagascar rosewood B/S), and I'm super excited to see/hear if it is indeed "The One"!

I purchased a Martin 000-28 Ambertone last month, and was very disappointed with the fit & finish (esp. given it's $3,600 price tag), and although it sounded fantastic—I could not believe it left the factory/retailer that way.

Of course, my dream guitar is double, even triple that cost, (a custom Santa Cruz OM/PW or a Bourgeios DB Signature OM), but we're a few years from that!

Cheers!

mageñtto

Larrivée · Fender Dread/Tele · Guild · Silvertone · Ovation · Martin · Yamaha · Epiphone Joe Pass
Dream guitar: Musser OM, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo

tomasmontanoart.com

Solo Albums:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/ske...ird/1491079008
https://music.apple.com/us/album/she...air/1452092690
Old 02-25-2023, 12:18 PM

I absolutely love my Larrivee SD-40R. The one I have is a limited run, Jean had some 20 year old spruce he paired with straight grain EIR. It has an ebony pyramid bridge, enlarged soundhole, and a custom hand inlaid abalone vine on the headstock. The sticker in the guitar is signed as well.

It was the first guitar that cost more than a few hundred dollars for me, and my first tentative step into the boutique/higher end side of guitars. I absolutely love it.

I'm new to guitar, but I find myself agreeing with everyone talking about a balanced but undiminished sound. I also like the fact that it isn't quite as common as Martin, Taylor, or Gibson, but not unheard of either.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Right now, I'm playing my new Larrivee D-50 Moon Spruce JCL Special and it's my new favorite dreadnought. If a player is thinking of buying a new Martin D-18, I'd give some thought about auditioning this Larrivee ax that combines the best of Martin, Taylor, Gibson, and Larrivee in one awesome guitar. I like to think of the JCL Specials as Larrivee's answer and challenge to high-priced boutique brands--Larrivee has arrived, folks! My usual slightly over-the-top hyperbole? No! There aren't many of these specials being made but if you can audition one or buy it without auditioning, do it! My review of the Larrivee D-50 Moon Spruce JCL Special

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-22-2024 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:57 PM

I've owned a couple, including an OM-40 that I bought for my son several years ago. He prefers it to my Santa Cruz OM/PWM. I greatly prefer the SC.

I think Larrivee is the best option to spend $1500+/- on a good, all solid wood guitar. They're very consistent in quality and sound from my experience. And they play very easily, although I personally don't like the neck profile (too flat for my taste).

They're very good guitars. I don't think they're in the same tonal class as Collings, Santa Cruz, Martin historic series, etc.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:45 AM

I've had my Larrivee dread for 20 years and love it. No real way to describe its sound or any sound accurately, but I think it sounds and feels absolutely wonderful.

Over the years with my guitar I've been able to introduce many people to the Larrivee brand, many of whom thought only in terms of Taylor, Martin, Gibson when it came to a "good" guitar.

I also remember when Larrivee was considered the only really great guitar for not a lot of money. In the early 90s an all-solid wood Larrivee dread could be had all day long for $499 at GC. That's when they came on to my radar. I got mine in 2003 for a mere $600.

I have to respectfully disagree wholeheartedly with the idea that Larrivees are not on par tonally with Collings, Santa Cruz, et al. They are absolutely in the same league as those brands.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:30 PM

The Larrivee sound is something I was searching for in the Seventies and finally heard on Bruce Cockburn's live album Circles in the Stream in 1977.

Myself and Roger Ferguson (a Winfield National Flatpicking champion) were the first in the Seattle area to get Larrivees right after they started selling them in Washington state.

Throughout the Eighties, playing shows up and down the West Coast, I would have someone at every show asking about it.

In addition to their distinct character and feel, they record like a dream. I introduced several recording engineers to Larrivee and some of them purchased one for themselves. All raved about how easy it was to get a great guitar sound.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-26-2023, 05:31 PM

I own two Larrivee guitars. A Om-03R and a L -03. Both are great sounding and playing guitars. One thing I really like about the Larrivee is I can put light gauge or medium gauge and it sounds and plays great. My Martin D 28 Needs mediums to get that "Martin" sound.
One thing I have found is the OM03R and the L-03 sound identical to my ears. If I string them with the same strings, they sound the same. Most of the time I keep different string gauges on the guitars or tune one to an alternate tuning.
Love the Larrivee
Old 02-27-2023, 02:02 AM

My little Larrivee is a very special guitar.

Larrivee built 15 of these little beauties

https://www.larrivee.com/news/p-09-b...imited-edition

https://www.larrivee.com/products/p-...k-limba-korina

On the track below, I love how it makes a great little bed for my voice, and how it blends so well with my electric Zemaitis guitar...

Old 02-27-2023, 04:36 AM

My 27 year old C-10 has matured into a great sounding guitar. When I first bought it I loved the sound but couldn’t get used to the neck so it stayed in the back of the closet for close to 20 years.

I don’t remember when or why, but at some point I decided to make myself adapt to the neck and start playing the guitar more. Eventually it became 2nd nature switching between different neck widths and it’s no longer an issue for me.

My guitar is loud and has very good sustain. The bass is pronounced without being overbearing. The mids are mellow, not too bright but shimmering in their own right. It’s the perfect guitar for strumming and accompanying a vocalist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee, larrivee 03, overtones, sustain, tone