The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 PM

Default Resolved!! - Strange Autonomous Creaking from Martin Authentic

Hi All,

I have had my Martin om-28 authentic for about a month now, and it truly is fantastic; however, the guitar is acting rather odd and I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Whenever I bring it down from my first floor (71 degrees, 45% humidify) to the basement (68 degrees, 50% humidity), and when I let the guitar hang on the guitar stand, it starts to creak by itself. These creaks are very short and cause a little echo within the guitar. The time intervals between the creaks vary from 3 minutes to 30 minutes and continues to as long as about 4 hours. It creaks again when I bring it back upstairs. None of my other guitars have ever done this.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Update: After a luthier inspected my guitar and determined it had no issues, I tested to see if it was the guitar stand thanks to advice I received from Fran Guidry and others. I left the authentic out lying next to me; no creaks for 30 minutes or so. I put it on the Hercules guitar stand: creaks at least 3 times within 5 minutes! I put my Taylor on the Hercules guitar stand: no creaks. What the! It was just a combination of the authentic with this type of guitar stand. I'm thinking it's due to the vintage gloss interacting with the foam padding. Thank you to those with all the helpful advice and insight. I would also like to say, thank God it wasn't haunted because I was actually wondering after a while... I don't think I would have figured this out on my own. You guys are awesome.

Thanks,
Aaron

Last edited by WindChaser; 03-15-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post
Hi All,

I have had my Martin om-28 authentic for about a month now, and it truly is fantastic; however, the guitar is acting rather odd and I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Whenever I bring it down from my first floor (71 degrees, 45% humidify) to the basement (68 degrees, 50% humidity), and when I let the guitar hang on the guitar stand, it starts to creak by itself. These creaks are very short and cause a little echo within the guitar. The time intervals between the creaks vary from 3 minutes to 30 minutes and continues to as long as about 4 hours. It creaks again when I bring it back upstairs. None of my other guitars have ever done this.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
Is it still in tune after the creakfest?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:20 PM

How long ago did you change strings?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Is it still in tune after the creakfest?
Yup, the strings are still in tune after the creaks and this occurs whether I have new or old strings.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM

Inexpensive thermometers and hygrometers are sometimes wildly off. Perhaps the temperature and humidity differences are far greater than you're lead to believe. -Admittedly... Still does not answer why only one guitar is doing it.

You might try putting a small amount of wax/lube on the strings where they rest in the nut slots and also make sure the bridge pins are seated properly.

Ray
Old 03-11-2016, 07:29 PM

You put strap buttons on it by chance, metal ones?

rct
Old 03-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Haunted. Straight up haunted.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM

How old is the house, and are there any bones under the floor?
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM

First I would like to applaud you for finding a way to use the word autonomous. It is a rare thing indeed.
Now that we know the guitar is possessed, you should send it to me immediately if it starts to say anything - to be properly exercised of course. I haven't experienced that before but if it only occurs when you change the location of the basement (assuming the basement isn't 1,000 feet down in a missile silo) I would guess there is a greater temperature differential than you believe.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
Haunted. Straight up haunted.
Yup. Exorcism will likely fix it, unless it's your knees .... I had a guitar I thought was creaky, but it was just my knees ....

So Pastor Steve could be right, the guitar, or you, might need to be exercised ....

Last edited by Long Jon; 03-11-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM

Does it have a torrefied top?

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-11-2016, 07:53 PM

Assuming the guitar's finish is not displaying the raised phrase "Play Me", I would try spraying some approved guitar polish where the neck and fretboard meet the body.

Ray
Old 03-11-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Does it have a torrefied top?
Sounds more like a Terrified top.......
Old 03-11-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindChaser View Post

Whenever I bring it down from my first floor (71 degrees, 45% humidify) to the basement (68 degrees, 50% humidity)....
I'd only suggest that these slight changes in temperature and humidity have nothing to do with it. Particularly if it happens within an hour or two after a hike up or down the stairs.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:02 PM

Dont bring it down into the basement. Problem solved, and you're welcome!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
authentic, creaking, martin