The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Cool Quality (BEST) crossover nylon model

What are your learned thoughts on what is one of the best CROSSOVER
nylon string models?

Takamine TC 135 SC is a reference point...has many of features I would like as 1 7/8" nut...list about $2k--street for $1450 range.
I do need to stick to NYLON due to arthritis in hands.
I owned a Taylor NS-32, but it did not last due to lack of volume.
Have head the "new" Taylor nylons are better?

Might even consider going to classical body, even with 2" nut. Hard to find shops with more expensive NYLON models, since that is such a small part of the retail marketplace.

Don't need the quality electronics, like the Tak has, since will not be playing out, but would not be adverse to electronics or cut-away models.

Appreciate you suggestions.

Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE
Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM

If you have arthritic hands, i would suggest a 640 scale guitar
it will be easier to play... if you have the means to go custom
i can suggest a builder who would not be outragious price wise
Im sure others could do the same,,,,
W
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Michi Matsuda and Mario Beauregard make extraordinary crossovers. They are expensive, but if you have the means and want something really fine I would check them out (or check out their sites anyway just to see some really cool instruments)
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Musical minimalist

There's a long way between Takamine and Taylor and "the best" as the previous poster has illustrated.

Certainly a price range would help, although to me it seems you are inferring that you want something in the same category as the Takamine price-wise.

I think Pavan has some offerings in a short scale instrument with 50mm nuts (in between what you are considering on the wide and narrow end) and cutaways. I know Elderly has a used TP20 short scale cutaway on their site right now.

There are many options, as I've noted recently here I've heard that Cordoba is coming out with a C9 crossover (I believe with a 50mm nut as well) that I'm sure would be a fine guitar.

Ramirez makes the 2CWE and you can find those for around 1k used a lot.

Then you have the Cervantes Crossovers in EIR/PE and the Sig series in some more exotic woods like Cocobolo for a premium.

Just depends on what you want to spend, and how big of a risk you are willing to take having not played them (which would prompt me to buy used so you don't lose your shirt if you don't like it)

Good luck - do as much research as you can.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM

I have a Cervantes east indian rosewood crossover, and a Breedlove, cedar and rosewood. Also, Mark Hatcher is building me a Penelope Crossover currently. The Cervantes has an excellent sound both acoustically and includes a K/K mini pickup system.
I'd probably recommend a high quality pickup system, unless you're a Flamenco or Classical purist. I appreciate the pickup systems a lot when the strings get older and quiet and I want to play and hear the guitar, but I'm too lazy to change the strings.
I've also learned that changing Nylon strings on a crossover with a bridge with 12 holes in it requires my undivided attention.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM

I've been on the chase for a while now (I posted the classical to crossover conversion topic) and after playing my conversion I decided to go ahead and spring for a medium-line crossover. I've been playing for 50 years, and spent a lot of time in bands, so I have a pretty sound basis for evaluating instruments. I'm a Larrivee and Lowden owner, so I'm familiar with higher-quality instruments.

I purchased a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra cedar top with laminate rosewood sides and back. I can tell you that I'm pretty bowled over by how good this guitar is. Fit and finish are excellent, tone is really great, and I couldn't imagine an easier playing instrument. This guitar is VERY well made. I've only had it for a few days but I can tell you we're going to become very close friends.

I evaluated the cost vs. quality issue very carefully, and one of the deciding factors for me was knowing that Kenny Hill was Cordoba's main designer for their crossover. Before spending more money I'd check them out a little closer.

I purchased with the humicase which is also very nice, although the gig bag that comes with the instrument is very well made with lots of heavy padding, too.

You DID say BEST, so that leaves a lot of room for going up the food chain. You might want to check out Kenny Hill's crossovers, or even consider his lesser-priced import New World series.

Have fun, I'm totally sold on the crossover idea, and the 48mm 16" radiused board is very comfortable. I thought about a cutaway model, but I had a cutaway Lowden Walnut / cedar that the cutaway just didn't get used on. Unless you have a NEED for electronics I wouldn't be lured with that. Evaluate your need for amplification, and remember that less is more. I'm not a fan of side-mounted electronics to begin with, and this Cordoba is simply beautiful, and that would certainly detract from the overall vibe of the instrument for me. YMMV, obviously.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
You DID say BEST, so that leaves a lot of room for going up the food chain. You might want to check out Kenny Hill's crossovers, or even consider his lesser-priced import New World series.
The Kenny Hills are very, very nice at their price points.
that's me on guitar
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

My David Webber Crossover is outstanding.....but my wife won't give it back!

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 PM

Default Crossover question

Best! Best suited to you and that is found through a lot of research and reviewing.

I recently recieved a Kinnaird Crossover, I didn't play a bunch of songs, though I did play a few to get the feel of it. what I did was dropped the 6th string to be in tune with the 4th and I played them at the same time, and the uniquness of each string came forth ringing in all of its range and overtones while the other string did the same. I listened to those two strings ring for a long, long time it has increbible sustain. I was not distracted by a beat, by a melody, by other strings ringing and all the over tones. I was listening to two strings tuned to "D" and each was distinct and each blended with the other and each complimented the other, and the siustaining sound wwas crisp, clear and powerful.
The Stephen Kinnaird Crossover I now have is one of three instruments that I have that are not for sale, trade, or anything, they are my private collection and to be part of that I have had to feel and hear that they have a unique and complete sound thta truly is their own as an instrument!

http://www.stephenkinnaird.com/nylonstring.html

I hope you look into stephens instruments

Cheers, Best wishes in your search.
B.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

I had a beautiful Breedlove Masterclass Bossa Nova that was an awesome crossover. It had a thin neck, awesome action, and was very easy to play. I picked it up for $1800 used (mint) on Ebay. I sold it because I bought four Cordoba flamencos, and they had a better tone for the music I was playing (my own "flamenco-jazz" stuff). But I would take the Breedlove back in a second if I wanted a softer, rounder tone.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 PM

Cool Quality (BEST) crossover nylon?

I have a Martin 000C Nylon cutaway crossover, and it's definitely one to consider. It has a 1-7/8" nut, radiused fingerboard, solid Sitka top, and sapele back and sides. It also has Fishman electronics, and you can find them on eBay for $1300. A little more from a dealer. It's one of my favorite guitars, as I find the 000-12 fret body very comfortable, with great playability, in spite of the 670mm scale length, and sounds fabulous!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 02-20-2014, 03:32 PM

Question for any of the repliers:

When you say "Crossover," does that generally imply that the guitar also has a cut-away?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Question for any of the repliers:

When you say "Crossover," does that generally imply that the guitar also has a cut-away?
Not IMHO.

1. Narrower fretboard
The most-often cited nut width is 48mm (1-7/8").

2. Radiused fretboard
Crossover fretboards commonly use a 16" radius.

3. Usually fitted with hard tension strings.
The higher tension may or may not have much of an effect on sound, but are used to create a string "feel" that steel string players will be more comfortable with.

4. Tone.
The sound that most crossover players seem to gravitate to is the sound of the traditionally lightly braced classical guitar.

Reasoning behind pursuing crossover:
For me it's all about the tone, but there are many who are going in the crossover direction due to physical "limitations" such as onset arthritis or injury such as rotator cuff, collarbone break, bone spurs, etc. that impede playing a standard steel stung guitar.

Cutaway, electronics, wood types, shorter than "normal" scale length, side dots (a big YES for me...), etc. have more to do with tailoring the selection to desired use or personal preference.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-20-2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:40 AM

Check out the Steve Fischer crossover for sale at Dream Guitars. The sound sample is impressive. But it may be more than you want to spend.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM

How about an Avalon Fusion? Or a Lowden S32J?

http://www.avalonguitars.com/fusion

http://www.georgelowden.com/catalogu...ogue/jazz.html

I love mine. Both are sitka on IRW with cutaways. As the Avalon is a bigger body I opted for a bevel. They both have radius fingerboards and shallow C neck profiles and narrower nuts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical