The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Default My Larrivee Experience

First, I would like to say that I think Larrivee builds very nice instruments. I bought my first one in 1984 (which I still have) and have had 4 different models over the years.

My thoughts of their company have changed recently. Here is my story and I offer it only to help you make your decision should you be considering the purchase of a new Larrivee guitar.

I purchased a LV-09 from a reputable dealer, Notable Guitars, and at the same time bought a Larrivee P-09. I had to wait until the end of a production run for the LV-09 and received them both on Feb.20, 2008. On Mar.12, 2008, I emailed Notable Guitars regarding a problem with the top sinking on the LV-09 and we exchanged emails back-and-forth. I live very close to the Pacific Ocean in an area with high humidity, so the traditional cause for top-shrinkage is ruled out.

Having owned the Larrivee for only 21 days before reporting a developing fault, I had expected a replacement guitar, only to find that I was to send the guitar to Larrivee for their inspection, evaluation and repair. I was also told that it may include putting on a new top with the possibility of it taking up to 7 months before it would be returned.

Own a guitar for 21 days and then have to send it back and have it returned up to 7 months later? Seemed unreasonable to me, but not to the fine lawyers who drew up the warranty at Larrivee Guitars.

The owner of Notable Guitars seems like a really nice gentleman and espouses to be one of the largest dealers for Larrivee instruments. Unfortunately, his role as 'one of the largest Larrivee dealers' apparently does not give him the clout to intercede in this issue, as the warranty is Larrivee's, not his.

As a result of my experience, I advise you to review and seriously consider the return policy, regardless of manufacturer, of any new instrument that you are looking to buy.

As noted before, I think the world of Larrivee guitars...unless something goes wrong with them.

David
Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Most of the guitars I have bought over the years have been used, so original warranties have not been an issue, just a much better price. Most of the new guitars I have purchased over the years have had quite purchaser-friendly warranties and returns policies - Santa Cruz, Bill Tippin, David Webber, James Goodall, in particular. I've never had to use those warranties though.

There have been occasional negative reports of Larrivee's return/repair/warranty policy and execution. Seems pretty rare though.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:46 PM

Hmmm... If it's only 20 days and you really got a bunk guitar, the dealer should handle it for you. He should issue you another one and work with Larrivee on returning your original. Surely something can be worked out.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 PM

I agree. Most shops/mega-stores have a 30 day retrun policy. I'd follow Alpione's advice before melting down, although I'd feel the very same way probably.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM

Another good reason to develop a relationship with your local dealer (even though it may cost a few extra dollars up front). Better than being Customer Number 6520843, I suppose.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topographic View Post
I agree. Most shops/mega-stores have a 30 day retrun policy. I'd follow Alpione's advice before melting down, although I'd feel the very same way probably.
Most mail order dealers have a 24 to 72 hour return period.

Jim
Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 PM

David,

Have you tried calling and talking with Matthew Larrivee?

Jim
Old 04-03-2008, 09:04 PM

The folks at Larrivee are pretty reasonable. I would go to www.larriveeforum.com and look up Matthew Larrivee's member profile. The forum is not associated with Larrivee, but Matthew Larrivee lurks there and if you send him a PM, I would think that he would give your situation careful consideration. I had an issue with a used Larrivee and he was willing to help me out if I wanted to go that route. Good luck. Sorry that it's been more of a hassle than you should reasonably have to expect.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Thanks to all.

Bluemax, I got my first Larrivee from Jean himself in 1984 when he was in North Vancouver. A very nice person with pride in his craft. His lovely wife, Wendy, was doing all of the intricate inlay by hand. It was a L-05, but then all of his instruments were Spruce and Rosewood. He told me if I ever had a problem with it, to bring it back to him personally. I have never had anything but joy from it.

You can imagine how disappointed I am (and I assume, he would be) to find, that after 21 days, one of his guitars is in the shape that my new LV-09 is in and that I am having to fight for them just to do the right thing.

I've heard that Matthew is quite a bit like his dad and I hope to make contact with him.

David
Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I bought a used Collings for $4k I had 72 hours to find flaw, then if there was a issue it was my problem. New stuff I usually get 10 days. At almost a month then pain it is but at least there is a warranttee. I'm sure they do it to protect themselves from wacks.
I bought a brand new OMV60 Sunburst. As far as I can tell it was the last one available. It played wonderful. 7 months after I got it I took it to Acoustic Music Works for a sound off. He pointed out that the saddle for a new guitar was really really low (no angle at the high e). I took it to a Larrivee Tech, he saw the problem as a future problem not a current issue and I could send it if I'd like but with a lifetime warranttee why rush if it sounded nice. I fought with spending $75 to ship it to Larrivee to check it out. But I did. What a fantastic company. It isn't the problem, its how they deal with the problem.
They tried a neck reset..... keeping me apprised the whole time. Then they called to tell me they were scrapping my OMV! HORROR! A lesser company would have given me a choice of what was on the rack, They one offed an OMV 60 Sunburst (I asked if they could knock out 3 while at it,no.) Jean Painted it for me. Took a picture of He and Matt holding my guitar..... the whole experience was under 45 days.
I know you are put off at the problem. I bet Larrivee will do what they can to make it right. It truely seems to be carved in gold in their company policy.
Good Luck.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 AM

Jim, I didn't realize that Notable was mailorder only.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 AM

Is there not anything that Notable Guitars can do to help you?
Geeze, you bought two guitars from them and they cut you
loose? It spooks me about buying off the internet, no matter
how good the deal looks.

1974 Martin-D35
Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Musical minimalist

Jason at Notable wouldn't "cut anyone loose" He'll do what he can, but he's working with a large company too.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedreso View Post
Thanks to all.

Bluemax, I got my first Larrivee from Jean himself in 1984 when he was in North Vancouver. A very nice person with pride in his craft. His lovely wife, Wendy, was doing all of the intricate inlay by hand. It was a L-05, but then all of his instruments were Spruce and Rosewood. He told me if I ever had a problem with it, to bring it back to him personally. I have never had anything but joy from it.

You can imagine how disappointed I am (and I assume, he would be) to find, that after 21 days, one of his guitars is in the shape that my new LV-09 is in and that I am having to fight for them just to do the right thing.

I've heard that Matthew is quite a bit like his dad and I hope to make contact with him.

David
My suggestion would be to find out who your area sales rep is, even though they really deal directly with the dealers. I got the name of the Larrivee rep for the Midwest about two years ago when I had a serious issue with my case and glue seepage. Larrivee was able to contact First Quality Music who changed out the case for me the same day. It was a no pain deal and they sent the old case back to Larrivee.
This was a while back and I had a lot of great advice from Brian in their Vancouver facility.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:02 PM

New to this forum so I hope I'm not stepping on anyone toes. A few years ago I had a major problem with a brand new Ford truck I had purchased. During the 1st 6 months I owned the truck it spent 89 days with the dealer who was trying to make the repairs. I was finally told (by the dealer) that they could not correct the problem and I had 2 choices. I could either keep the truck and drive it as it was or I could trade it for another truck. My trade in value did not equal what I owed on the truck. By doing a little searching on the Internet I became aware of the "Lemon" law and what it applies too. Believe me it covers anything and everything you purchase AND it takes precidence (spelling) over any warranties that the product carries. I also found out that the state I live in (Louisiana) has a "Law of Retribution" that comes into play after the "Lemon" law. Another good point that I found out is the manufactuer is liable for YOUR attorney fee's if it goes that far. Anyway, to make a long story short, I got refunded every penny I had paid out and walked out of the dealer's office exactly even.

Nela

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion