The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2023, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
Yesterday, after owning it for 10 months, I traded my FG9 M for an LS36. Here's my video from the day before I did that.

Youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSjP_I9sX5w

Or embedded

Excellent and informative video, I would love to see a similar follow up with your new Yamaha LS36 (same recording setup, same runs, songs etc) as it would allow for a fascinating comparison of two higher end Yamahas.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 12-16-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
I loved your video and how you were completely honest about the FG9 being an incredible instrument but not exactly right for how you play. It's meant to be a bluegrass monster, and it is that in spades. It's big and powerful and super loud, and I kind of play that way, so it appeals to me (I just can't afford it, lol).

I can also certainly see how something like the LJ36 would be about perfect for your playing style. I hope you can bond with it, and I don't think that will be much of a problem, as I have played some 26, 36, and 56 models over the years--whew!

Thanks for taking the time to make an in-depth video on the FG9. I believe it would be extremely helpful to anyone considering buying one themselves--Tim
Hi Tim, thanks for your encouragement. I had to overcome a mountain range of self consciousness to publish the video.

Yesterday I made a similar video with the LS36. The experiences of Thursday and Friday confirm my story, viz., the FG9 is a Little David Dread and setting off something like that in your home requires precautions including clearing people in the hood to a safe distance and ear protection.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Excellent and informative video, I would love to see a similar follow up with your new Yamaha LS36 (same recording setup, same runs, songs etc) as it would allow for a fascinating comparison of two higher end Yamahas.
I made it already. And this morning I added 20 chapter links including composition credits. Here you go

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...00#post7371400
Old 12-27-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12barBill View Post
The guitar can play really loud and with authority and clarity when played fff and sfz. But also sounds great whence mf, p and ppp.

fff... sfz... mf... p... ppp... Would someone mind explaining to me what the heck that means?
They thought you’d never ask!
Old 12-27-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
I quit at 4:00. Did you ever start playing?
Old 12-27-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I made it already. And this morning I added 20 chapter links including composition credits. Here you go

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...00#post7371400

Thankyou, excellent comparison.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 12-27-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I quit at 4:00. Did you ever start playing?
Sorry to have wasted your time.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:29 PM

As a proud owner of a Yamaha FG9M, the theFSB video fell far short of accurately portraying the capabilities of this magnificent instrument. I don’t know what the heck he was playing or talking about but I can say with great confidence that the FG9 plays better and sounds better.

My FG9M is loud, has a huge dynamic range, incredible clarity of tone and a most wonderful understated elegance. When I bought mine, I had the opportunity to compare it side by side with a Martin Custom Shop D18 with an addi top and the sinker wood mahogany sides and back. To my ears, the Yamaha sounded clearer and much louder than the more expensive Martin. The selling point for me was the tonal clarity. We’re talking Goodall level of pristine tone. It’s that good.

It’s certainly evident to me that Yamaha did their homework with this one. The $4,000 price tag isn’t expensive, it’s a bargain.

Last edited by srick; 01-30-2024 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Please review forum rules, especially Rule#1!
Old 01-30-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanS View Post
As a proud owner of a Yamaha FG9M, the theFSB video fell far short of accurately portraying the capabilities of this magnificent instrument. I don’t know what the heck he was playing or talking about but I can say with great confidence that the FG9 plays better and sounds better.
Than ... ?

Quote:
My FG9M is loud, has a huge dynamic range, incredible clarity of tone and a most wonderful understated elegance.
That's what I said in the video and above at length in this thread. I think I was the first here to remark on the extraordinary dynamic range and clear, uniform of tone.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:11 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:

My FG9M is loud, has a huge dynamic range, incredible clarity of tone and a most wonderful understated elegance. When I bought mine, I had the opportunity to compare it side by side with a Martin Custom Shop D18 with an addi top and the sinker wood mahogany sides and back. To my ears, the Yamaha sounded clearer and much louder than the more expensive Martin. The selling point for me was the tonal clarity. We’re talking Goodall level of pristine tone. It’s that good.

It’s certainly evident to me that Yamaha did their homework with this one. The $4,000 price tag isn’t expensive, it’s a bargain.
Im considering and FG9, but not sure which I should go with between R and M. I was leaning R but I see a lot of people talking about the M. I don’t think i can compare them anywhere so I will likely need to go off YouTube audio and reviews and take a chance on one. My other 2 acoustics are a grand auditorium size cutaway with sinker redwood and honduran mahogany, and an all koa gs mini.

I like to play many different types of music but primarily rock, pop, some country, maybe 20% fingerstyle and the rest strumming and flat picking. I also have 4 electric guitars that I play often. Any recommendations between the Rosewood and Hog?
Old 02-29-2024, 08:11 PM

Keowulf, It all depends on what sound you want. The rosewood will provide a piano-like richness with great overtones while the mahogany will provide a bell-like pristine clarity. I play bluegrass so I chose the FG9 M model to get that clarity of tone. My FG9 M really delivers. I’m waiting for Yamaha to introduce the FS9 models and when that day arrives, I’ll get the rosewood model and use that to play in church. Yamaha hit a home run with these new models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion