The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 PM

Smile Playing classical music is so beneficial

Sorry if this is stating the obvious. Ever since I started on my journey with my classical my understanding of music has grown exponentially, in all styles.
I've been playing guitar for about 20 years with most of that time spent the electric with metal, rock and prog. I only started playing classical about a year and a half ago when I bought a new guitar, ironically for recording acoustic sections in songs. I'd had a cheapo classical for many years but never played it. The beautiful sound of the new instrument kept drawing me back to it and soon it was the center of my attention.

Up to that point I wasn't really familiar with other players in the genre than Segovia and John Williams (and Paco De Lucia if you want to count him). Jumping into this brave new world I discovered many new players and composers like Tarrega, Albeniz, Dowland... Youtube showed me a wealth of extremely talented guitarists.

Once again I felt deeply passionate about the guitar, the same instrument that had stagnated for me for a long time. It was difficult to adjust as I had very little skill in fingerstyle playing. It was very helpful though that I had a good fretting hand so it was mostly the picking hand I needed to acclimate.

I started with pieces like andantino in G by Carulli and Lagrima. They were difficult and playing something like Asturias seemed like a distant dream. I also started learning Jesu, Joy by Bach and working only with a tab it was excruciatingly slow to memorize. At this time I was very much still rooted into the rock/metal thinking and level of understanding.

Fast forward a year and so I feel my abilities have grown tremendously, I am now able to play most of the things I want to. Still working on my picking technique (speed and tone) but it's getting there. More importantly my aural understanding has deepened considerably. I can work out things like Bach by ear and make chord-melody arrangements. My overall enjoyment of listening has also increased.

And even my electric chops seem to increase from this, jamming on it from time to time I am able to alternate pick and shred at the same level as before or even better.

In conclusion: classical guitar is good for your soul

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 AM

Agreed, and definitely count Paco DeLucia (and Juan Serrano, and Carlos Montoya, and Sabicas, and all the other great flamenco guitarists).
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 AM

Hey Fruitloop,
As a lifelong classical guitar player it's great to see so much appreciation for my preferred idiom from someone with different musical roots.
It's also wonderful to see the name "Sabicas" included in Vognell's response.
Best Wishes to you on your fantastic journey!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

It good to have a method to the madness. That's one thing studying classical, it's methodical.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 AM

Agreed.

I have always played with my fingers, but learning classical technique has greatly changed the way I play electric guitar, and even how I hold it. Both hands are much more dexterous and efficient, especially my right hand.

I like to do rasgueados when I play funk. They fit the staccato and percussive nature of funk guitar. Using all of my fingers to play blues rather than just my thumb and index finger has opened a lot of new avenues.
2002 Line 6 DuoVerb 2x12
1999 Warwick Streamer Standard
2003 SWR LA15 1x15
2012 Remo 14inch Key-Tuned Djembe
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 AM

Default Playing classical music is so beneficial

Classical guitar training adds a layer of quality to most other styles of play.

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 01-31-2014, 10:14 AM

I've got to agree with everything said here. That said, I've migrated away from my short classical period because although I love the sound of nylon strings when someone else plays them, when I play a nylon string guitar I just don't like the sound. I sold my classical guitar. I still play an occasional classical-ish piece on my steel string acoustic guitar although I know that is considered blasphemy.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM

There are two major improvements that studying CG have made to my playing:

1: Better ergonomics: The angle at which the neck is held for the classical guitar is intended to reduce stress on the right hand, as the wrist and forearm come up to the neck at a neutral angle with the wrist straight in relation to the forearm. The thumb is kept behind the neck, and the fingers curve higher over the strings. I feel that I can shift positions more comfortably, experience less wrist strain after extended playing, and can finger the strings more cleanly.
2. More attention to playing cleanly, and achieving better tone. I have never played my bluegrass or blues more cleanly than I do now that I have been practicing classical guitar. CG performance is not forgiving at all of muffed notes.

CG has also forced me to learn to read music, and practice with a metronome more.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 01-31-2014, 03:42 PM

Very true. I have only begun to scratch the surface of CG but, it is all I want to play now. I have 2 CG's, a Gibson and a La Patrie and rarely pick up the old steel strings anymore.

I will say I just can't get into the more formal old classical pieces. I am very passionate about the more Spanish influenced works. Not so crazy about Flamenco either. Personal preference I suppose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical