The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-01-2014, 07:53 AM

Default Ukulele Crack in Soundboard

I have a Greg Bennet Samick Baritone ukulele. it has a crack in the sound board. i originally thought it was a crack in the finish but over time it has gotten longer and i noticed now the the top part the sound board is now above the bottom part so i know its not just cracking. if i had only thought to take it in sooner it may have been an easy fix.

Here are several picks of the crack.

its the black line you can see on the sound board.

I did buy this uke to use as a cheep knock around guitar and it was not terribly expensive but to be able to fix this would be great. would it be possible for me to fix or should i leave it to a professional. This ukulele only cost me $150 NZD. (roughly $125 USD) so if i was to take it in would it be worth fixing.

any ideas, tips and tricks you have would be appreciated. this is a great community here and i know there is a solution out there.

Edit: I also posted this question at the Ukulele Underground forums, there is some more great advice there too. see here for more info.

Edit 2: i have now done some research on hide glue at frets.com Hide Glue and Using Hide Glue I have come to the conclusion that i need so little glue and making up an easy amount would be wasteful. so not sure if i should use that. I hear that PA glue which some use gives off a bass that effects the finish. what to do i wonder.

Last edited by mickeyj4j; 02-12-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 PM

This looks like a typical low humidity sound board crack. You did not show us the view across the soundboard, preferably including a straight edge. If there is a significant dip (the top is no longer flat) that usually means the instrument is very dry. With proper re-humidifying, it will return to normal and the crack will close up again. You still will want to get it repaired properly, but that is your call. It probably will not progress much further, assuming the moisture level in the wood is kept within reasonable range.

In the meantime, resist the urge to run your finger across the crack to feel the difference or offset. Each pass deposits dirt and skin oils into the crack, making it that much harder for the repairman's glue to stick properly.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:32 PM

A very common with-the-grain crack...easily fixed by a competent luthier.
The sooner you stabilize it, the better.

Dan

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carey View Post
A very common with-the-grain crack...easily fixed by a competent luthier.
The sooner you stabilize it, the better.

Dan
Do you think this would be an expensive job to get fixed. I do prefer to take it in.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Not too bad, but if one mentions a specific number here, the moderators edit it out. Probably the cost of a reasonably nice dinner for two....
Old 03-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyj4j View Post
Do you think this would be an expensive job to get fixed. I do prefer to take it in.
Depends on who you take it to...expect about an hour's charge plus a bit. If I were your neighbor, I'd fix it for a cold beer and a song!

A couple of guitars
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin

Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Depends on who you take it to...expect about an hour's charge plus a bit. If I were your neighbor, I'd fix it for a cold beer and a song!
Well thanks for saying that. i can't really buy you a beer but here the next best thing. Some of my songs. sorry none done with uke yet. but i will do some when the uke is fixed.
i would gladly buy you a bear and play you a song. You got me thinking my dad is pretty handy with woodwork and such. and as i have not seen him in a while might be a good bonding session to go see him and he may just be able to fix it. who knows. Now to get him away from his work and family long enough for him to take a look at it.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM

These sites might be helpful. I've repaired top cracks in a couple of my guitars using RC aircraft plywood (1/32" thick three ply from the hobby shop).

http://guitaralliance.com/2011/12/ho...oustic-guitar/

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...2topcrack.html

A couple of guitars
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin

Old 03-02-2014, 08:10 PM

Gonna be the dissenting view here. Probably not a big issue, it more than likely won't affect anything for some time, if at all. Sammick Greg Bennet ukes are not very expensive, it's not really a big issue. Play it. You're going to pay someone some bucks to fix something that, in retrospect for you, was preventable, yet do you really want to put good money into a cheap(though fairly decent) uke?

If so, get it fixed.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
These sites might be helpful. I've repaired top cracks in a couple of my guitars using RC aircraft plywood (1/32" thick three ply from the hobby shop).

http://guitaralliance.com/2011/12/ho...oustic-guitar/

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...2topcrack.html
thanks so much for that i can see how that thin hobby balsa wood or similar would do the trick. i think i have enough skills to attempt something like that. just need to buy some clamps i would think.

also if i need to re-humidify the ukulele how can i do it without going to the expense of buying a humidifier. I am not sure how to tell if this crack is actually caused by this problem.

Last edited by mickeyj4j; 03-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM

No no, not balsa. It has zero strength used as cleats. Look for a thin hobby ply which will be birch or poplar. You don't need a super strong cleat material for a uke but don't rely on balsa.

A couple of guitars
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
No no, not balsa. It has zero strength used as cleats. Look for a thin hobby ply which will be birch or poplar. You don't need a super strong cleat material for a uke but don't rely on balsa.
got you on that thin hobby ply which will be stronger like birch or poplar. thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 PM

after some research i see that hide glues is also known as hot glue (not the hobby hot glue gun type). is the type of glue that needs to be kept warm. i guess that means going to the expense of getting a hide glue melting pot and such which dont come that cheep. also this type of hide glue is no longer soled locally, for years, i have rung several hardware stores over here and they dont sell it. is there an alternative glue i could use.

Last edited by mickeyj4j; 03-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 PM

I got my "melting pot" at Walmart...a Proctor Silex Hot Pot...$20. Hide glue is available at StewMac. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_a...1&xst=3&xsr=82

A couple of guitars
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin

Old 03-06-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I got my "melting pot" at Walmart...a Proctor Silex Hot Pot...$20. Hide glue is available at StewMac. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_a...1&xst=3&xsr=82
thanks but i dont live in the same country as you man so we dont have wallmart

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments