The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM

Default Mics vs Pickups for Squareneck Resonator Guitars

http://squareneckjournal.com/2015/02...onator-guitar/
Old 02-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Well, I always look at it in terms of simplicity. If getting a good miced sound was as easy as plugging in, wouldn't we all always use one?

The problem is it isn't. clip on violin style mics are getting better and better, and they are a perfect fit for lap playing.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Fair enough. Part of the live performance sound equation is the method you use to amplify your instrument - mic or pickup. The other part is the variable nature of room acoustics. There are far more bad sounding live performance venues than good ones. This is where having a pickup can be a real lifesaver. See the article for more details
Old 02-11-2015, 08:39 AM

I did. Have you tried any of the violin clip ons?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I have a Myers Grip I use for Uke, square neck, cigar box guitar, etc. and it works well for me. It is a mic on a small gooseneck, with a pre and a suction cup. Stick it on, point the mic, and play. Perfect if you have a bunch of instruments you plug in infrequently. Something permanent would be better if gigged often.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Blue, in the article I reference some of the different mics I've owned or used over the years, including the DPA 4099G which is one of the highest quality clip-on microphones on the market.

I'm neither for or against microphones. I own a couple of high quality mics and use them in certain circumstances. My interest in writing the article was to share my experience in the quest for a good live performance rig which for me involved a lot of experimentation with different mics and pickups. There's no right or wrong in these matters, IMO.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Anderlik View Post
Blue, in the article I reference some of the different mics I've owned or used over the years, including the DPA 4099G which is one of the highest quality clip-on microphones on the market.
So the answer was yes I didn't recognize the DPA as one of that style, as I've used the Applied, and the A/T but haven't seen any of the DPAs in my circles. Just searched up the DPA on youtube. looks nice. For those who don't know about this style, here's a demo of the DPA

Old 02-16-2015, 10:50 PM

I would think that for that distinctive resonator sound you'd want a mic. A pickup would just be reading the vibration of the strings against the bridge or vibration of the soundboard (or banjo head if that was the case).

You'd lose some of that "metallic twanginess" of a resonator...
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
I would think that for that distinctive resonator sound you'd want a mic. A pickup would just be reading the vibration of the strings against the bridge or vibration of the soundboard (or banjo head if that was the case).

You'd lose some of that "metallic twanginess" of a resonator...
Nothing matches a mic. But I've used nice preamped highlanders, and very simple passive K&K contact pickups on biscuit styles, and the nice highlanders on tricone. The pickup makers do a great job, and it's only getting better.

The basic tone of a reso is hard to keep down. I have a National resotone which has a standard single cone in a solidbody, and the only pickup on it is a tele neck pickup. It does not in any way sound like a tele even though it has the same wood recipe (why mess with perfection? ) with a cone slapped into it. Check out some demos on youtube. It sounds like a reso. Not like a nice miced one, but the cone refuses to be ignored.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM

In my experience, as long as you are playing in a great sounding room, its true, nothing matches a mic. But this comment is misleading because it does not take into account the highly variable nature of room acoustics in live performance venues. If you are gigging a lot it doesn't take too long to run into a situation where its either difficult to get a mic to cut through the mix (noisy bars, large disinterested crowds, echoey halls, etc) or difficult to shape your sound to get the desired effect through a mic, whether with EQ or spatial effects. So if you are playing in concert halls I would tend to agree that a mic may sound better than a pickup. FWIW, I'm not against mics! I do use them from time to time.

And - YES - when it comes to squareneck resonator guitars - the Fishman Nashville Series pickup/Aura combination has effectively resolved the old issues with resonator guitar pickups and in 95% of the live performance venues I've used it in its worked very well. In fact I prefer it greatly to any microphone I've ever used because it gives me a lot more control over shaping the way my guitar cuts through the mix.

Of course, as they say YMMV.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I've been through many different mic solutions, and never found something that was practical for me in a live performance setting. I've been using the Fishman Classic series pickup, which everyone seems to hate, and honestly I like it a lot. Very dependent on preamp and EQ though.

I enjoy the blog, BTW.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 AM

Blue, in your post above you mentioned Highlander and K&K pickups on biscuit style and tricone guitars. Just curious, are you a squareneck player?
Old 03-07-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Blue, in your post above you mentioned Highlander and K&K pickups on biscuit style and tricone guitars. Just curious, are you a squareneck player?
I am. But, and I'm not sure why I feel the need to say "but", I play an original National tricone squareneck. So the Spider solutions, other than the goosenecks, don't apply to me.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Thanks, sounds like a really nice instrument. Do you have a YouTube or Soundclound channel? It'd be great to hear your music
Old 03-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks, sounds like a really nice instrument. Do you have a YouTube or Soundclound channel? It'd be great to hear your music
I'm kind of a luddite. Don't even have a digital camera. My wife tripped and fell on it back in September and we haven't replaced it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments