The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Roundneck Resonators- Steel vs Wood

Which do you prefer?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM

As most all my playing with slide is Delta blues based, I prefer the metal-bodied instrument. (Mine is actually brass...)

But I've heard plenty of fine playing on wooden-bodied guitars.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 AM

I like both. I use my wood one a lot more because it not only sounds great it's really light and I bring a few guitars to gigs sooo..it works
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM

I have three old National guitars (and a mandolin), a 1936 brass bodied Style O, a 1931 steel bodied Triolian, and an early 1929 wood bodied Triolian.

The wood bodied Triolian is by far the loudest (it may very well be the loudest National I have ever played) and has a phenomenal amount of bass. It is so terrifyingly loud that it can actually be a little difficult to sing over.

The brass Style O works best for standard tuning playing, I keep the two Triolians in open tunings.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Guest 4320

I have a German made Continental Tricone and an NRP Estralita Deluxe. I have had a vintage steel body Triolian and a few other resophonic's over the years.
By far I prefer the sound of my wood body Estralita.
I feel the wood body mellows the single cone a bit and gives off a warmer reverberation.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM

I can only speak to wood singlecones, not wood tricones.

Wood has more sustain than steel or brass. Mine, is which is maple laminate, is closer to steel than brass in terms of tone. More harmonics than brass, but they are a little more "organized" than steel. A smoother sound.

It could just be the way I play, but it's more of a challenge to get a rich thick tone from the two highest strings, which is why I use plastic thumb and fingerpicks. Muting unplayed strings is very important when playing single note runs. The other strings seem to steal more energy than on metal ones.

I love mine, so don't take that stuff as negatives. It's just my experience.

I prefer brass, then wood, then steel. But I love the weight, and the lack of maintenance required when compared to a nickel plated guitar. So if I've got 20 minutes before I have to go out, I'll generally grab the woody, because I can just throw it back in the case afterwards.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:49 AM

I have a steel Delphi and a wood Estralita. I like them both but prefer the Delphi if I had to choose one, it's more versatile for what I do. I play a mix of standard tuning country blues finger picking and also comp chords in a 20s style jazz band. The Delphi handles both really well. The Estralita is a more mellow balanced sound for finger picking but I don't like using it to comp chords, too much mid-range tone and not enough bass. The Delphi wins in volume to.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:22 PM

Mine is brass. Brass, steel and wood all sound quite different. I think it really depends on what sound you like on what song. I've certainly seen folk who switch back and forth depending upon the tune.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Ok, thanks! I'll probably end up getting metal and wood over time.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments