The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 AM

Default advice wanted on buyin a taylor guitar

Hello friends.. M completely new in this forum, and this is my first post. Actually m planning to buy an economical taylor guitar but couldnt decide which one to buy. I m thinkin of either 214e 0r GA3. Most importantly i live in a small town in india wher i cant find any taylor guitar shop. So, i have to buy to buy it online and i cant check the guitar b4 buyin. So for me no second option. Plus i cant buy a second taylor for years. So plz guys help me out in buyin my first taylor.. Thnks
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 AM

In my opinion, if you can afford it, go for the GA3 ... no question. I think you get a lot more guitar at the 300 level and above ... you could order a GA3e with the Taylor Expression System, but it runs the price up. Do you actually need electronics? If so, order straight acoustic and then put in a less costly aftermarket pickup. This is what I did, and I've been very satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan9 View Post
Hello friends.. M completely new in this forum, and this is my first post. Actually m planning to buy an economical taylor guitar but couldnt decide which one to buy. I m thinkin of either 214e 0r GA3. Most importantly i live in a small town in india wher i cant find any taylor guitar shop. So, i have to buy to buy it online and i cant check the guitar b4 buyin. So for me no second option. Plus i cant buy a second taylor for years. So plz guys help me out in buyin my first taylor.. Thnks

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 AM

/\ /\

What he said...though I would consider GA3 vs GA4 - Sapele vs Ovangkol (tonewood consideration/discussion similiar to 'mahogony vs Rosewood')
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Guest 429

The only advice I would give is this: do not buy one with the idea that "I can darken the tone of this guitar later."
Old 08-03-2012, 09:44 AM

If you like the tone of a Taylor Grand Auditorium, go for the GA3. I was underwhelmed at first by mine, but it just keeps getting better. After two years with it, I'm to the point where they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Hint: put a bone saddle in it, and a bone nut if you're adventurous. Tusq is the weak link in these guitars, IMHO.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 AM

I played a GA4 and was just so impressed by the sound that came out of that guitar. Can't go wrong in my eyes with a Taylor GA3 series and above over the 214e.

Sincerely
Andy
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM

Agree the other responses. The GA3 is a fantastic instrument, the lack of cutaway and electronics on it means you get real value on the guitar itself. Plus you can always fit an aftermarket pickup locally.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Smile thnks a lot.

thanks everyone for all ur genuine advice. U guys are really helpfull and u all know a lot. now my mind is clear, i wl go for the GA3. and i think if i can afford i will go with the electronics version but m ok without it also. Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Welcome to the AGF family, shan9! We are very glad to have you with us. You are among friends here. Although many of us are from the United States, we have a sizable and growing group from other countries around the world.

Between the 214e and the GA3, my preference would be the GA3, though I would need to have a pickup installed.

On our forum's first page, you will see a list of AGF Sponsors. These are people who care enough about this community to donate toward its support. Among them are some very fine Taylor dealers. I recommend starting your search with them. When you do, tell them that you learned about them here.

We look forward to your joining in our conversations.

cotten
Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM

Shan9 -- FWIW, I have a 514 and my sisters have a GA3 and a GA7, so I've had the chance to play all three. I think the GA3 sounds the best of the bunch.
Hope you enjoy yours.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Welcome to the AGF family, shan9! We are very glad to have you with us. You are among friends here. Although many of us are from the United States, we have a sizable and growing group from other countries around the world.

Between the 214e and the GA3, my preference would be the GA3, though I would need to have a pickup installed.

On our forum's first page, you will see a list of AGF Sponsors. These are people who care enough about this community to donate toward its support. Among them are some very fine Taylor dealers. I recommend starting your search with them. When you do, tell them that you learned about them here.

We look forward to your joining in our conversations.

cotten
thanks a lot Cotten.. wl surely look into it.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 PM

thnks zmf. wl buy the GA3 now.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 AM

Agreed peter.. BTW what is your advice regarding 214e or GA3?...
Old 08-04-2012, 12:59 AM

I'd recommend the GA3 between these two as well. I might also recommend taking a strong look at the GC3. I knew it'd have a nice voice for fingerstyle, but I wasn't sure how it'd hold up to anything more than light strumming.

I was surprised! It had a really sweet and balanced tone, handled just fine, and was very comfortable. Good luck on your search!
Old 08-04-2012, 07:27 AM

I would buy a GA3. For most people, I would say it's more than enough guitar and a good do-it-all type instrument. It's nice middle of the road size. You can strum as well as play fingerstyle and it sounds reasonable. It's all solid wood so you need to be more careful with humidity and temperature though, like any nicer instrument. Too much humidity is bad for the guitar as well.

In addition, I would go with a GA3 over a GC3. The standard scale length allows you to tune down with out losing too much tensions if you decide to play in open tunings. My GC4 had a tough time with this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion