The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Taylor 210 Rosewood Dread

I just played one the other day and I was so impressed I'm thinking of purchasing one! I really like my Taylor GS Mini so that is why I'm leaning towards getting this guitar for moments when I'm at home and want the full scale length. Is the Taylor GS Mini and 200 series made in the same factory? Also is the quality of both of these instruments about the same?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM

its laminate rosewood.

its a nice guitar, i guess.

72 000-18
Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Yeah if I could afford a 3K guitar I would but I also have a budget. Could someone answer if it is built in the same factory as the GS Mini.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 PM

It's made in Mexico. Great country, fantastic food.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
It's made in Mexico. Great country, fantastic food.
Same as the GS Mini. Same factory I would guess. Cool.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:18 PM

That 210 is an outstanding guitar, laminate and all. I have a closet full of $3,000 guitars and bought a 210 becasue it's just a fantastic guitar.

To the best of my knowledge, Taylor only has one plant in Mexico, but I don't know a lot.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Very nice guitars, Taylor tone and playability for a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkestnight View Post
I just played one the other day and I was so impressed I'm thinking of purchasing one! I really like my Taylor GS Mini so that is why I'm leaning towards getting this guitar for moments when I'm at home and want the full scale length. Is the Taylor GS Mini and 200 series made in the same factory? Also is the quality of both of these instruments about the same?
I have a 210ce and it is a great guitar for the price. Yes, it is made in the same Taylor factory as the GS Mini (I have a Mini in mahogany).

If you like it, get one. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM

I recently replaced a 210eG with a GS Mini Hog. Wasn't playing it enough because of being backup to other nice dreads.

But when I bought the 210 I played it against everything in the $500-1000 range that the store had...about a dozen Martins, Taylors, Breedloves. The 210 sounded the best.

As I said in another posting today, at one point I put Martin medium strings on the 210 and it was killer.

The serial numbers indicated that both the 210 and GS Mini were made in the Mexico factory...which happens to be about 45 minutes from the El Cajon plant, sharing supplies and probably some employees from both sides of the border (an assumption drawn after reading Bob Taylor's book).

Go to a guitar store and A/B the 210 with others. You have to please yourself, not brand fanboys.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM

Nice guitars, but since they are laminated materials the 'wood' on the surface is just a decoration and does not give you any specific tone. The tone comes from the way the guitars are built. Buy the one with the surface decoration that looks nicest to you, but do not be confused into thinking you would be hearing rosewood or mahogany or such tone.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Nice guitars, but since they are laminated materials the 'wood' on the surface is just a decoration and does not give you any specific tone. The tone comes from the way the guitars are built. Buy the one with the surface decoration that looks nicest to you, but do not be confused into thinking you would be hearing rosewood or mahogany or such tone.
I agree with Jim on this. If you have a chance to play a few GS Minis, play them all and buy the one you like best.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM

I have a 110 that I added a D-TAR pickup to and use for gigging. Fantastic guitar really. I think you would be very happy with a 210, that is until you start spending time in the Custom Shop part of the forum.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
that means that the 110 model sounds equal to the 210?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 AM

Whoa...this comment about tone and laminates, let me moderate it. No, it will not sound like a D28, the back and sides do add some body to the sound.

However, laminates do have a tone. Its still wood, its just been crushed up and glued. That still produces a tone, and the tone comes from the Sitka top anyhow.
Tone comes from alot of things.

The 210 will serve you very well. Don't worry about the back and sides or the fretboard or what the bridge is made of. If its in your price point, you can find terrific laminates.

However, here is the one caveat. Laminates, most of them, are DOGS. You have to play a bunch of them to find a keeper. Why? I have no idea. Some laminates sing like a bird and some are dead thumpers. Keep playing in the store until you find one that you cannot put down.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkestnight View Post
is the quality of both of these instruments about the same?
All reputable manufacturers strive for the highest quality level, regardless of price. Lower price simply means less expensive woods (e.g., laminate vs solid, sapele instead of rosewood), fewer cosmetic enhancements, etc. Even though I have never owned one, I have no reason to believe that the quality level, meaning how it's put together, would be any lower on the least expensive Taylor model than on the most expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion