The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Default Fretless banjo strings

I'm looking to get some nylgut strings for a project I'm thinking of starting. I'm aware of the standard banjo tuning of GDGBD but when I look online the strings say they are for DBGDG tuning. Is this the same thing, stated in reverse order, it or is there actually this tuning for fretless banjo? I have to order from overseas so I just want to be sure before I order.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I'm looking to get some nylgut strings for a project I'm thinking of starting. I'm aware of the standard banjo tuning of GDGBD but when I look online the strings say they are for DBGDG tuning. Is this the same thing, stated in reverse order, it or is there actually this tuning for fretless banjo? I have to order from overseas so I just want to be sure before I order.
Yes, it was probably reversed. It's usually written as gDGBD to there's no confusion.

Amazon carries most of the Nylgut series in different gauges.

Spend some time on Youtube searching fretless banjo. Most of them seem to include information about the strings set, banjo size, etc, so you can learn a lot before you make a move.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-08-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
You should ask your question over at Banjohangout.org and get the benefit of over 100,000 players.
As far as Aquila Nylguts are concerned, they are sold in different sets depending upon what type (and tuning) of banjo you will use them on. Minstrel sets are for lower tunings, classic sets for standard tuning.
If your project involves building, just about every concievable combination has been discussed in the "Building, repair, and setup" portion of the forum.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:20 PM

I didn't like Nylguts at all on my fretless banjos. I'd run Savarez "yellow card" strings on them because they have a matte finish which I think sounds better when doing slides, etc. I liked them so much I used them on fretted nylon strung banjos as well.

They don't make them for banjo as far as I know, so I'd buy two guitar sets and use the 1,2,3 and 4th string and the 1st from the second set as the 5th string. Since they typically last just about forever on a fretless, I could justify the added expense of buying the extra set. Of course, if you can find a source for individual Savarez yellow card strings....
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 12-10-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks all for the responses. Yes, its for a build, but very much a home-made, grab what you can type - I make cigar box guitars as a hobby and am going to attempt a fretless banjo made with an old film canister, so as long as the strings are in the ball park I think I'll be right!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments