The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 PM

Default Who is the top Asian individual luthier?

Is Asian luthery good? I've heard of Matsuda who is Somogyi's student, are there any other high end expensive ones?
Old 01-02-2014, 09:22 PM

I have heard Jeffrey Yong (from Malaysia) that his guitar won the Guitar Blind Listening Test in Washington in 2006.

"Having been a long time member of the Prestige Guild of American Luthiers and ASIA, his creations has been constantly exposed and commended by fellow members consisting of his peers to highly acclaimed luthiers.
His greatest accolade and recognition came during the GAL convention in Tacoma, Washington in June 2006 where two of his guitars were among the Top Three Best of the Acoustic Guitar Blind Test Listening. His MonkeyPod OM Guitar won the 1st place as the best sounding guitar in terms of tonality,
timbre and sustain. This accolade was conferred by all the luthiers who attended the event, voting for the best guitar in this category."
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Guest316

I vote for Kazuo Yairi, in Japan
Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 PM

I don't know if you have ever heard Lee Guitar (I guess probably not), who was a famous Taiwanese singer/song writer and producer. He starts building guitars several years ago and releases his own brand.

http://www.leeguitars.com/index.htm

I don't know if he's one of the top ones because I haven't tried any of his guitars. Moreover, he seems to target Asian market more than anywhere else.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 AM

Hiro Ebata - another Somogyi student!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
I don't know if you have ever heard Lee Guitar (I guess probably not), who was a famous Taiwanese singer/song writer and producer. He starts building guitars several years ago and releases his own brand.

http://www.leeguitars.com/index.htm

I don't know if he's one of the top ones because I haven't tried any of his guitars. Moreover, he seems to target Asian market more than anywhere else.
I have not personally tried Lee Guitars, but I think these guitars were a collaboration with a Singaporean luthier Malcolm Tan (mtlutherie.com).

Found this information from his website -
"Renowned Taiwanese music producer Jonathan Lee had hired me as a consultant, designer, luthier cum manager to start up a small custom guitar making facility in China. Jonathan has been on the lookout for a luthier whom he can work with to come up with original designs bearing his namesake. In late 2001, we were introduced by a mutual acquaintance in Singapore. Lee Guitars humble beginnings began about a year after their initial meet up."
Emerald T8
.. and 2 cellos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion