The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Default Breedlove History

as some of you know, I prefer Breedlove guitars. I came across a brief history that I thought folks here might find of interest. Kind of neat knwoing the history of things ...

Kim Roberts Breedlove and the Breedlove Historic Timeline:

1949 - Kim was born in Lafayette, Indiana.

1973 - Acquired tools and woods from guitar builder€™s widow and built first instrument€”dulcimer, followed by many banjos and dulcimers.

1976 - Began work in San Diego with Greg Deering and Geoff Stelling building banjos with younger brother Larry Breedlove, Tim Luranc and John Gerlog (now all with Taylor Guitars).

1978 - Kim earns Master of Fine Arts Degree from San Diego State University. Kim designs and develops the handmade Stelling Mandolins.

1982 - Larry Breedlove and Tim Luranc join Bob Taylor and Kurt Listug at Taylor Guitars.

1984 - Stelling Banjo Company moves from San Diego, California to Charlottesville, Virginia. Kim becomes Vice President of Stelling Banjos specializing in Bird of Prey series of exotic banjos with highly detailed and ornamented resonators and necks that were considered the €œRolls-Royce€ of instruments.

1989 - Larry Breedlove and craftsman Steve Henderson depart from Taylor Guitars to start the Breedlove Guitar Company in 1990.

1990 - Breedlove becomes a repair center for Taylor Guitars and develops the Breedlove Guitar Line of six string and twelve string fingerstyle guitars while exploring techniques to open up the bass resonance and sustain of the acoustic guitars and basses.

1991 - Breedlove introduced to Don Kendall of JLD Guitar Research and begins experiments with the JLD bridge truss system and bracing techniques effects on balance, sustain, resonance and bass creating the "Original Breedlove Sound". Breedlove buys used/broken thickness sander and discovers the balancing effect of graduated top thicknesses on instrument balance. The "Original Breedlove" sound is formed. First Breedlove guitar in stores.

1994 - Kim retires as farrier and moves family west to join brother, Larry Breedlove, at Breedlove Guitar Company in Bend, Oregon to build high-end acoustic guitars. Soon after, Larry Breedlove departs to follow love interest and returns to Taylor Guitars. Breedlove wins second ASIA award for best new guitar design for the CM Classic.

1995 - Tonal experiments continue in body depths, sizes, soundhole diameters, bracing patterns, top graduations, back and side thicknesses. Prototypes of the Ed Gerhard signature model are completed featuring extremes of the experiments tuned to Ed€™s particular needs and tastes. Dod Mohr joins team Breedlove and heads Breedlove string up team and warranty departments.

1995 - Kim develops the first Breedlove mandolins featuring bolt-on necks with floating fingerboards and highly resonant tops and backs, and radiused fingerboards. Jayson Bowerman joins Breedlove through college school to work alliance.

1997 - First Breedlove mandolins in stores.

1998 - Steve Henderson develops innovative Breedlove nylon string guitars designed as steel string cross over instruments with slender necks 14 frets to body with radiused fingerboards.

2000 - 10th Anniversary Breedlove Guitar Company, Breedlove wins two Players Choice Awards from Acoustic Guitar Magazine including award for the Ed Gerhard Signature Model.

2004 - First Breedlove Revival Series Guitar by customer requests and executed by Jayson Bowerman, Third Player€™s choice award from Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

2008 - Celebration of Kim Breedlove's 35th year of building fine instruments. Breedlove completes new building and focuses on the future. Breedlove launches expanded electric guitar line with the Mark II, and Mark IV and wins the Winter NAMM Show€™s "Best in Show: Trendsetter Award" for the new (Mark II) electric guitars.

Last edited by tomana; 12-02-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:27 AM

You forgot, 1991 I got my first Breedlove C2 with a Cutaway and in 1993 I got the first Breedlove C2 with a Cutaway out of "The Tree". If you are gonna do Breedlove history

Nice job, glad to see you gave Jayson his due!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

thanks for posting this, some real interesting things there I didn't have a clue on.

I've played a lot of very nice Breedlove guitars-love the Ukes and Mandolins(and own one).

Ed G is my favorite artist of all time-get to see him next week.

d
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM

Default Breedlove

Hey Tomana!

Minor issue, but isn't it JDL bridge system, not JLD?

Also, do you know when Steve Henderson left Breedlove? My SJ25W is one of his and I'm gonna be buried with that thing
Old 12-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

It says Kim retired as Farrier. That means he was shoeing horses ?!?

I always wondered what the relationship was between Breedlove and Taylor. I've seen Bob Taylor write about Larry Breedlove in articles and interviews.

Kind of odd that Larry started the company and left it and now Kim run's it.

Frankly, I am surprised R. Taylor (the boutique line) didn't "merge" with, or absorb Breedlove somehow.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Great timeline info..!!

I thought they were bought by Bedell guitar...

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM

Thank you for that tomana.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
You forgot, 1991 I got my first Breedlove C2 with a Cutaway and in 1993 I got the first Breedlove C2 with a Cutaway out of "The Tree". If you are gonna do Breedlove history…

Nice job, glad to see you gave Jayson his due!
He also forgot that I was the first Breedlove customer, purchasing #001 (C1 6-string) and #002 (C1 12-string) directly from the boys (these were labeled as 1990 guitars, as that is when they were started, but finished in '91). I later sold these back to Steve, under different circumstances.

I was Breedlove's first dealer/retailer, and between 1991 and 1995 I sold about 1/4 of their entire production.

I then went to work for Steve directly for the entire year of 1996 as VP of sales/marketing (and as part-owner, although that didn't work out too well). We built over 600 handcrafted guitars that year for our dealer network, their biggest handcrafted production numbers before or since (AFAIK).

I left (amongst several reasons) to pursue my music.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
Hey Tomana!

Minor issue, but isn't it JDL bridge system, not JLD?

Also, do you know when Steve Henderson left Breedlove? My SJ25W is one of his and I'm gonna be buried with that thing
yes, JDL ... thanks for making the correction

and no, I don't know about Steve. I did a copy/paste so I did not compile the info. I should have made reference to the write up, not just say 'I came across a write up ...". Will include original reference(s) from now on
Old 12-02-2013, 07:11 PM

So, Larry,

Do you own any Breedlove guitars at this time ?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
So, Larry,

Do you own any Breedlove guitars at this time ?

No, I do not...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 PM

That timeline sorta skips a lot between the mid-2000's and now where they unfortunately diluted and hosed up the Breedlove brand perception....
Old 12-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Default Breedlove

Last edited by PTC Bernie; 12-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Hmmm...

Trying to figure out if Larry didn't end up liking the instruments or .... something more political about the company/people. Probably reading too much into it.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Hmmm...

Trying to figure out if Larry didn't end up liking the instruments or .... something more political about the company/people. Probably reading too much into it.
Been around this forum long enough to take a guess that Larry had some kind of personality conflict with the people at Breedlove which is why he no longer plays their guitars.

Hey Larry, did ya actually own a guitar store or were you just seeing em from home?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion