The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-18-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Learning Lead Quietly

I'm starting to learn lead, and am borrowing a nice Fender Strat and Blues Jr. amp from a buddy to help me get started.

Is there a device I can get that I could plug into the guitar where I could listen to it on headphones along with an accompanying jam track?

I'd prefer to not disrupt things around the house too much and it seems if i could loop a track along with listening to my lead through some headphones that would really help me do some woodshedding in the spare bedroom.

Thanks!
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

One of the least expensive options and you have to have a smart phone, tablet, or computer to feed aux input for a jam track

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugAC30G2

Or from there are also mini practice amps with HP outputs some with built in rhythm patterns built in

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:30 PM

This looks nice. So, I plug that into the guitar and can just plug my phone or tab running the jamtrack into it and it has a headphone out?

Seems perfect.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitoolong View Post
This looks nice. So, I plug that into the guitar and can just plug my phone or tab running the jamtrack into it and it has a headphone out?

Seems perfect.
I don't have one but considered it and Yes 1/8 mini phone jack in from phone and also out to HP's and the 1/4 inch plug for the guitar, rotates and said to work for all guitar jacks ( but I would call Sweetwater and ask about the Strat specifically)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Cheap solid state amp with a headphone jack perhaps to accompany your Blues Junior. (They pretty much all take headphones). One of the great things about owning a solid state amp.

The other option (which I did plenty of) is just to practice/play unplugged.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Vox has been selling a few little "plug-ins" for electric guitar and bass... a small module that plugs into the input jack on your guitar, then you plug a pair of headphones into that. They have minimal control settings, and come in a variety of different "amp modeling" tones (like clean, blues rock, high gain, etc...).

I believe they sell for around $40 or so...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Is the OP asking for a device that will limit the sound of the guitar to the headphones?
or,
is the OP looking for a way to amplify in their ears the lowered volume from the amp the guitar is plugged into?

I didn't think the first option was available but it sure would be a neat trick if it could be done without blowing up the phone with a current mismatch.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 12-18-2017, 02:30 PM

The little VOX device seems to be what I had in mind. Something simple and small. I could do it anywhere in the house, patio, whatever. Looks like all I need is a guitar, that little device, my phone, and some headphones.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Old 12-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Cheap solid state amp with a headphone jack perhaps to accompany your Blues Junior. (They pretty much all take headphones). One of the great things about owning a solid state amp.

The other option (which I did plenty of) is just to practice/play unplugged.

Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion. For now, I'd prefer not to add an amp. Limited space :-)
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Old 12-18-2017, 03:37 PM

Why not just get a USB-Audio interface? You can plug your guitar into it, then it can go into your computer. They all have headphone jacks. You can even record your own tracks. Most come with DAW software, but you can download Audacity for free and import MP3 tracks and so much more. You can add mics for recording your acoustic. They start at around $30, but you may want to buy one of the more expensive ones if you think recording might be in your future. For playback and accompaniment, any will do.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/USB--Aud...dRedirect=true

P.S... Most people set their Blues Jr intuitively... but incorrectly. The way to get the best sound from it is to max out the Master, then dial in the loudness with the Volume. The owners manual hints at it, but doesn't come out and say that exactly, probably to be purposely vague. A lot of folks try to use the Volume as a gain, and theoretically it is because it controls the preamp side. But it is marked "Volume" for a reason. I know, it's all bass-ackwards, but the Blues Jr has a reputation of sounding "boxy". And it will if you use the Volume for gain the Master for Loudness. Yeah, I know. Kinda nuts. But I guarantee you, if you set it the way I just said, no more boxy sound. Then, if more clean is needed as you increase the Volume (for gigs and such) then it's suggested the change the tube in V1 to a lower gain tube (as I have). Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 12-18-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:52 PM

I got my son a Blackstar Fly for his college dorm... They sell for around $60 bucks.

Perfect solution! It has little speaker or you can use headphones.
Input for MP3 or phone to play backing tracks.
EQ, Over Drive and Delay..

Super compact little box approx 5" x 7" and 4" deep ..
Plus runs on batteries.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgKJjPD_BwE

Old 12-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post

P.S... Most people set their Blues Jr intuitively... but incorrectly. The way to get the best sound from it is to max out the Master, then dial in the loudness with the Volume. The owners manual hints at it, but doesn't come out and say that exactly, probably to be purposely vague. A lot of folks try to use the Volume as a gain, and theoretically it is because it controls the preamp side. But it is marked "Volume" for a reason. I know, it's all bass-ackwards, but the Blues Jr has a reputation of sounding "boxy". And it will if you use the Volume for gain the Master for Loudness. Yeah, I know. Kinda nuts. But I guarantee you, if you set it the way I just said, no more boxy sound. Then, if more clean is needed as you increase the Volume (for gigs and such) then it's suggested the change the tube in V1 to a lower gain tube (as I have). Good luck.
Wow. THANK YOU. Great information. I no zero about it, just getting started.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Old 12-18-2017, 05:44 PM

I have a Fender Frontman 15 that has RCA inputs and a headphone jack. I bought it used in wonderful condition for $29.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars