The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-15-2017, 01:34 PM

Default This is the 21st century I dreamed of as a kid (borrowed line but true)...

Very impressed! How about you?

Old 12-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Super impressed on many levels!!

It's an incredible feat of engineering, done privately, for a fraction of the cost of what we are "used" to spending on projects as complicated and unforgiving as these.

Awesome.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

....WOW......

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 PM

Incredible!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 PM

I grew up (sorta) during the era of the great Saturn C5 rockets that took us to the moon. I remember having to pause in my high school algebra class when a single one of its five F-1 engines was being test fired some 16 miles away - it was that loud! My teacher, who also taught Physics, explained that it was very much like a controlled, high yield explosion, so powerful that by the time the C5s jettisoned that first stage, there would be little left of it to be reused anyway. I was never quite sure about that, but I had no doubt about their power or the noise they produced. https://www.space.com/18422-apollo-s...fographic.html

To see this rocket settle gently back on its pad is mind boggling to me!

cotten
Old 12-18-2017, 01:30 AM

All well and good . my Question would be , What's the point , other than more jobs ?. Seems like they send one up every other day , and have to hear the news reports constantly . So What are they going to accomplish ? More spy satellites , Comm sats ? WX Sats ? I don't think we're going anywhere outside the van allen belt anytime soon . I think we have alot more on earth to be concerned with other than some elusive dream of living on other planets, with no oxygen ? How's that work ? So they've managed to coordinate some big gyros to work correctly . I don't see how this is a huge help to most of society.
Yes GPS is good ...I'll admit ....so what's the final destination ? It's well beyond our reach , and they know it . I worked aviation for 32 years and the Apollo missions... just a mystery to me ?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 AM

You've got to crawl before you can walk. All of our eggs are in one basket and a global extinction event is just a matter of time (hopefully we won't do it to ourselves in the meantime).

I'd rather see this avenue of technological development pursued rather than more plowshares into swords.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
All well and good . my Question would be , What's the point , other than more jobs ?. Seems like they send one up every other day , and have to hear the news reports constantly . So What are they going to accomplish ? More spy satellites , Comm sats ? WX Sats ? I don't think we're going anywhere outside the van allen belt anytime soon . I think we have alot more on earth to be concerned with other than some elusive dream of living on other planets, with no oxygen ? How's that work ? So they've managed to coordinate some big gyros to work correctly . I don't see how this is a huge help to most of society.
Yes GPS is good ...I'll admit ....so what's the final destination ? It's well beyond our reach , and they know it . I worked aviation for 32 years and the Apollo missions... just a mystery to me ?
Part of human nature is to venture beyond and discover what's out there.

What if the original humans decided it wasn't worthwhile to explore?

Also, I think there may be more to launches and landings than a couple of big gyros.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
All well and good . my Question would be , What's the point...
I understand your point, and mean no disrespect. But remember when you were little and climbed your first tall tree? You discovered whole new horizons that you had never before dreamed of. I think that is the point here - to discover what we yet cannot imagine.

My great-grandfather was still a young man in the 1860s. Imagine the contrast between his world and ours today. He could not begin to dream of things that we take for granted today. Yet compared to our world of tomorrow, we are much as he was. Oh, I know some of the dire possibilities, and have no doubt that some will come true. But I choose hope over despair. I think my great-grandfather would have, too.

cotten
Old 12-18-2017, 05:10 PM

I was surprised to see the news of uncle monitoring the aerodynamic anomalies . Yes I know mankind wants to venture , it's human nature ...Think of the pictures from Hubble...are we the only news in town , fat chance . I've seen all the controversial film of such , and ... it makes you wonder . If by chance an encounter occurred ...with a much higher intelligence.... that's the only way I see anyone here exiting this galaxy .
Old 12-18-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
All well and good . my Question would be , What's the point?
The point is to get the cost of launch down enough to seriously consider moving a lot of industrial crap off-planet.

Just to take one wee example. The amount of energy, electrical energy, to run the servers needed to process a bitcoin transaction. ONE transaction requires 244 kWh, the energy equivalent to running a house for a week. ONE transaction. Annualized consumption (again this is just for bitcoin transactions) is 35 TWh (tera watt hours); 50% of the energy consumption of the Czech Republic.

https://digiconomist.net/bitcoin-energy-consumption

Just think of all those coal-fired plants needed to get that energy. If the cost of physically getting thousands of servers off-planet - with 24/7 available solar energy - is reduced, then maybe other industrial and polluting activities can be moved getting away from doing environmental damage.

But the cost has to be significantly reduced. Reusable boosters is a very big step. With the Falcon Heavy, SpaceX says it will bring the cost down to $1,000 per pound, versus the Shuttle which cost $10,000 per pound. That is a game changer.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-22-2017, 01:26 AM

Default fumei

A lil off topic , but I'd love to hear the circumstances when the guy at songwriters poured his beer into the soundhole of your new Beneteau ???
Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
....WOW......
I second this WOW and offer a WEE. Thanks for posting this. I think the answer to "what's the point" is look where we were since the invention of the wheel to where we are. The future looks pretty cool

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic