The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Any Dobro Players In AZ?

Guys

First Time poster, long time lurker.

I have been playing for nine months, lessons once a week, 1 hour of rehersal a day, and still the lure of that nasty, dirty, scratchy sound of the Dobro still makes me sit up and take notice. I want to play blues music, and that just seems to be the sound I want.

Problem is, everyone I ask says to stay away from the Dobro, it will only make you crazy and want to give up the guitar all together. Now I am having too much fun doing this, and the fact that music is like Prozac to me I just can't take the chance that I might do something wrong.

So, any Dobro players in the great state of AZ that might be able to help me out?. Advice, sit down to see what's the best way to go, jam with a noob to let me see what I am missing?

I'm buying the coffee or the bourbon, whatever suits your style.

Thanks
Yetters

Baranik 00m
Charis Dreadnought
Larrive C10 Custom
Bourgeois OM
Lowden OM
Batson N0 5
Rainsong Jumbo
Gibson Blues King
Old 11-13-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti Man View Post
....it will only make you crazy....
Welcome to the AGF, Yetters! You're among friends here, perhaps even some AZ-types bent on making music with a Dobro. However, I think it would be good to point out that ANY guitar will make you crazy, and we have some 14,000 people here to prove it!

Of course, some of us are crazier than others....

cotten
Old 11-13-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Yep

Cotton

THANKS!

I know that this is the start of something good. Music has always ben a pull to me, just never got the nerve till a friend left a guitar here after a long visit. He told me " I know if I leave this thing here, you will have to learn how to play ".

Sure enough, after two weeks of staring at the **** thing hangin on my office wall, I was taking my first lesson. Now once a week, hell or high water, the teacher and I get together, pour a finger or two of sting lube, and get to getting.

The Dobro?, I just like the sound. Appeals to the inner soul brother that has yet to come out. I want to find someone here in the state that plays so I can get some questions asked and answered.

Nice place here, may have to hang around for a decade or so.

Yetters

Baranik 00m
Charis Dreadnought
Larrive C10 Custom
Bourgeois OM
Lowden OM
Batson N0 5
Rainsong Jumbo
Gibson Blues King
Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 PM

Default Nobody?

Doods

Help a brother out here, any dobro players out there?

Yetters

Baranik 00m
Charis Dreadnought
Larrive C10 Custom
Bourgeois OM
Lowden OM
Batson N0 5
Rainsong Jumbo
Gibson Blues King
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM

i just wanted to say welcome. Sorry, i'm not a dobro player, but i too really like the way they sound. I'm still struggling to try to play my guitar well enough to not make a fool of myself. I also told myself that i'd be able to play well enough to deserve a custom before i ordered one...since my first custom is about 3 month away, i'd better get off this forum and start practicing...
Old 11-17-2006, 02:53 AM

Well, I have a dobro type (Johnson resonator actually), and I love the music, but haven't really made much headway on that particular instrument. I play a half dozen other guitars, all in various open tunings, and certainly play some dobro style music, but I guess that brass body is kinda heavy, and I always seem to gravitate to my parlor guitars or my Taylor 12 string. So the reso might just go in the chopping block soon...
I suppose you could start playing some tunes in open G or F on your guitar and see where that takes you... and get a slide while you're at it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments