The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Default Martin D28 vs Blueridge BR-160A

Well, Ive only had my new Martin D-28 for about 4 days but, I have to say, my Blueridge BR-160A is a much better sounding and playing guitar. Its a bit disappointing. The Blueridge has a much fuller tone, more volume, better bass. and easier playing neck. Im wondering if I made a mistake by buying the 2017 D28 at this point. To be fair, my BR is 9 years old though. Im hoping the Martin doesnt become a case queen
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 AM

Maybe some strings and a saddle change will help. Is the action really low in the Martin? Also, maybe give the Martin a good 5-10 hours of hard strumming to help open it up. If that doesn't help, I'd likely return it, and I'm not one who usually returns things. Not to bash Martin, but of the dozens I've tried at music stores, there's only ever been 2 or 3 that sounded $2500 good to my ears, and one was a 3 year old GPCPA1, the other was an HD-28.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
Well, Ive only had my new Martin D-28 for about 4 days but, I have to say, my Blueridge BR-160A is a much better sounding and playing guitar. Its a bit disappointing. The Blueridge has a much fuller tone, more volume, better bass. and easier playing neck. Im wondering if I made a mistake by buying the 2017 D28 at this point. To be fair, my BR is 9 years old though. Im hoping the Martin doesnt become a case queen
Like others have said before, if you don't love it now you won't likely down the road either. For that level and price point I'd take it back.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

On one hand, your familiarity with your previous guitar may make its qualities more appealing. You've learned its virtues and how to compensate for its shortcomings. You've come to define its sound and feel as what strikes you as "right." So, part of the difference you're perceiving may just be a matter of adapting to the new guitar.

On the other hand, the Martin is an expensive guitar and it should deliver something that a less expensive guitar can't. If you're not feeling the love and you actually prefer playing your Blue Ridge, that tells me that the Martin should go back. Maybe it's just not the right guitar for you; maybe it's just not a good example of a D28. But whatever the reason, you should be getting something from it that justifies its cost. If not, and you still have the option to return it, I'd bring it back.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:29 AM

That's interesting after Martin's makeover of the D28. But the D28 still does not have scalloped bracing only forward shifted x bracing. I had a BR160A about five years ago wish I would've kept it as it was a great sounding guitar. With the Adirondack top it just boomed and had a nice balance across the strings. For what you invest in the D28 and are not happy with it I'd send it back. If you really want a Martin I'd think HD28 or just stay with the BR160A and save a lot of money.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:31 AM

That’s a lot of money to be tied up in a guitar you don’t love. I’ve played D-28’s that were absolutely amazing, and D-28’s that were terrible. Acoustic guitars vary so much that I would be taking it back and would be looking for something that I really liked.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 01-21-2018, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like the Blueridge is a good example within the line and the Martin a bad example within the line. It happens and could have easily been the other way around. Only Carbon Fiber guitar are consistent from guitar to guitar.

Or you just don't like the new D-28. Either way ...bummer.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-21-2018, 08:41 AM

Those are 2 different guitars IMO. The Blueridge has a Aderondac top and forward shifted scalloped bracing and the Martin has a sitka top and just forward shifted bracing.

Don’t know if you expected the Martin to sound like the Blueridge or not, but from experience if you don’t like it now you will never like it.
Takamine EGS330SCE
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearsedriver View Post
It comes down to personal taste. The quality is comparable.

The BR160a is a great guitar. Lighter built than the modern D28. Considering the unique tone of the Adirondack top and age I'm not surprised... While it's a bit sacrilege around here to say this the brand name and history of the D28 are the only attributes that really classify the D28 as the expected better instrument.... I'm a fan of modern Martins but if you like that vintage Martin clang, the all solid Blueridge guitars like the Br160a get you closer than modern Martins.

P.S. there's a Blueridge owners group on Facebook that is full of owners who also have Martin's and many of them have said they prefer their Blueridge to their Martin guitars. This all circles back to a point I've made many times on AGF. In the world of guitars, once you get into all solid wood, well built instruments the more you spend doesn't always translate into "better guitar" for what you plan to do with the instrument or to your personal taste.

We're to an extent brainwashed to think if I spend $$$ and buy brand X I get better quality than when I spend $$ and get (less popular) brand Y. It's a norm, but when it comes to products that also act as tools to do specific jobs (and the guitar is a tool to do a job, I think they are more than just tools, but if you play it then it's a tool that does a job) some tools of equal utility and quality might cost different dollar amounts. For example, a good rubber mallet may cost you $8.00, a high quality hammer maybe $25.00. If you try to use the $25 hammer to do a job intended for the mallet, it's going to be overkill and you may ruin the project. Likewise the performer looking for just a good strummer to accompany vocals may find a more expensive guitar's prized glistening overtones and endless sustain to be too much to tame. It could be a struggle to sing over top of in unplugged situation and to get a workable tone plugged in the sound man may have to tweak the EQ and compress to the point the natural tone is gone.

Reasons to own more than one guitar and reasons why even highly praised iconic models like the Martin D28 might not be the right guitar for you.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 01-21-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 AM

This is a timely thread for me. I've been lusting after a D35 and have recently been searching Youtube for comperable sounding guitars, the BR160's are the closest that I've found so far.

What I'm really looking for is that BR160/D35 sound in a wider 1 7/8" or 1 13/16" nut.

I would contact the shop the D28 came from, talk to the manager and share your feelings. My local GC has a 45 day satisfaction guarantee and they encourage people to return guitars in that time frame if they don't bond with it.

Last edited by jwellsy; 01-21-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:10 AM

I have a Blueridge BR 160 and BR 160A both built in 2007and also a Blueridge BG 160 built in 2004, and Blueridge in the sound department can compete with any guitar brand. If you can you should try a Martin MMV, they have a unique sweet bassy sound and can be found used for a very affordable price, I picked one up used last year with some of the prettiest rosewood I've seen on a Martin and it sounds really beautiful. My post is based on my subjective experience of course but you should really try a Martin MMV because it has a unique sound for a Martin.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Like others have said before, if you don't love it now you won't likely down the road either. For that level and price point I'd take it back.
Not necessarily. He's had the Blueridge for 9 years so it has become his "baseline" for what a guitar should sound like. He hasn't begun to explore what the D-28 can do. To modify an old saying, "Familiarity breeds content"

Blueridge has yet to make a guitar I would trade my D-28 for.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 AM

Im not quite ready to give up on the 28 after 4 days. I did compare it to another and they sounded identical. I suppose it is just tight right now. Although the Blueridge is 9 years old, I bought it last November as practically new-old-stock. It had been played very little and still had the plastic on the pickguard. It was a little tight at first but, after adding bone bridge pins and a good setup, it sounds great. I have played it quite a bit since I bought it too. I have both guitars setup identically. 7/64 low E action, 5/64 High E, same Martin Medium SP PB's. I bought the Martin so cheap that I think I can play it for 6 months and, if it still sounds tight, I can get most of my money back out of it. Ive never owned a brand new Martin so, this is a new experience.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM

Keeping a guitar because you think it may get better with time is a mistake IMO.

At least you bought at a good price. I hope the D28 grows on you. Good luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 AM

Give the D-28 a new bone saddle and try a set of Martin Retro strings or the strings that you use on the Blueridge.

Leave the Blueridge alone and play the D-28 only for a week.
If you don't like it after a week of exclusive playing, you may never like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion