The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 AM

Default Fender Baja Telecaster

I'm primarily an acoustic player, but have had different electrics on and off over the years. After trying different styles and builders, I decided that I'm really a Telecaster guy. Picked up a new Baja 50s Tele this week and I have to say it might be the best Telecaster I have ever owned. It is the first electric I've owned that I immediately didn't want to change something on it. The pickups are excellent with the neck pickup in particular just being sublime. I can park on that pickup for hours it seems and just get lost in it. The neck itself is very nice too. Big and chunky without being too much of a handful. Just an excellent guitar. I think I've finally found my Telecaster...

Old 01-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Congratulations! Having owned several telecasters over the years I admit some just sing when you hold them, some just play. Glad you found one you love! It is an added bonus to not need any upgrades. A tele neck pickup can be a thing of unimaginable beauty through a nice tube amp. Happy playing!
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 01-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

nice looking guitar congrats ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Nice guitar! After having many Telecasters over the years, the new American pro? model I got last year, is the best playing and sounding Telecaster I've had, ever. I got a Brad Paisley MIM also, incredibly light and exquisite sounding. Both of these are so much fun, they haven't made their trip to the luthier yet. I really think the new Gibson and Fender electrics are far better sounding/playing than they've been in a long while.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM

Congrats on your Baja Tele. They are highly regarded by many of the folks over at the Telecaster forum.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Sweet! Congrats! What makes a "Baja" tele a Baja?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
Congratulations! Having owned several telecasters over the years I admit some just sing when you hold them, some just play. Glad you found one you love! It is an added bonus to not need any upgrades. A tele neck pickup can be a thing of unimaginable beauty through a nice tube amp. Happy playing!
Dittos on the neck pickup .
The neck pickup in my Rosewood Tele is soooo smooth .
Give you all a tip on something .
Klein makes an Alnico 4 neck pickup that is something rather special . He no longer advertises them , they must be requested , but he has the magnets . Fender never used Alnico 4 magnets so this model didn't sell . I have used these before and will again . He used to market them as Jazz pickups and they fit the mold well .
Old 01-20-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Jell if I know.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Nice guitar! After having many Telecasters over the years, the new American pro? model I got last year, is the best playing and sounding Telecaster I've had, ever. I got a Brad Paisley MIM also, incredibly light and exquisite sounding. Both of these are so much fun, they haven't made their trip to the luthier yet. I really think the new Gibson and Fender electrics are far better sounding/playing than they've been in a long while.
I almost went with an American Pro, but needed to keep the price down. The Baja checked all the boxes for me at a lower price point.

I've owned a few MIM Fenders over the past 5 years and haven't had build quality issues with any of them.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
It's the name of a part of Mexico, the Baja Peninsula.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Nice! The Baja Teles are great. Love the color of that one. I also like the SCX2 amp. Very nice, and it will cut once those tubes get warm.
I've been playing Teles for over 20 years and I just love them. I play others as well but the Tele is like coming home to a old friend. Can't beat them.
Congrats
Old 01-20-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
Nice! The Baja Teles are great. Love the color of that one. I also like the SCX2 amp. Very nice, and it will cut once those tubes get warm.
I've been playing Teles for over 20 years and I just love them. I play others as well but the Tele is like coming home to a old friend. Can't beat them.
Congrats
I'm digging the amp. I know a lot of people upgrade the speaker in it and I might do the same eventually, but I'm pretty happy with the stock setup so far.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
It's the name of a part of Mexico, the Baja Peninsula.
I thought that was the case but I also thought perhaps there were some features not present on other teles. Regardless, it looks like a sweet Tele.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I thought that was the case but I also thought perhaps there were some features not present on other tele.
They were the original guitars of the Classic Player series. I think they are still made in Ensenada (not really on the Baja Peninsula but close enough). They are CS designed, made of Ash, have a soft V neck, modern 9.5" radius, vintage 3-saddle bridge, CS designed pickups, etc.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:07 PM

Hey All,

My brother by another mother!!

I play a blonde Baja Tele through a SCX2 as well. I even put my pick on the second fret!

To top it off I play special 20s - I have 7 in different keys and a chromatic in C.

So a big congrats on excellent choices!!

That said I also have a Gretsch Pro,Jet and a KY Mando in addition to my Martin gpcpa4 rw and sigma - based on Martin - ooo 12 fret slot head. I need an acoustic amp and will likely get a fisherman loudbox mini when I see one priced right. The Pro Jet filtertron humbuckers also sound great through the SCX2.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars