The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Bruno Cowtipper ProII
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petespix View Post
Steve, thanks for the heads up on the amps. I now have the Monoprice 15W and am very happy with it...
My pleasure - and if you want to turn it into more of a jazz-oriented amp (in the mold of the old blue-check Ampeg combos), try one of these:

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/spe...el=Swamp_Thang

- and a set of these:

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package (same tube complement as your Monoprice)

Same upgrades I have in my first-run "blue-light" Bugera V22 and they totally transformed it, from a bargain-price Chinese-made practice amp into a gigworthy little tone monster that'll handle a 600-700 seat house with no problem and sound like a mid-powered American 2x12" combo doing it. Should you decide to go this route I'd recommend swapping the speaker first - it'll take out a lot of the EL84 brashness (compounded by the Chinese 12AX7 preamp tubes, BTW) without losing the characteristic "chime," and increase your dynamic/frequency range and headroom in the process. The tubes - NOS Soviet-era mil-spec, Russia's answer to the American JAN tubes the hardcore Fender guys would kill to get - have the feel of mid-/high-power American tubes (6L6/6CA7/7027), they're as tough as they come (you may never need to replace them for the entire useful life of your amp), and if you've ever wondered what it would have been like to own one of those NYC-studio '66 Ampeg Gemini II/B-12XT "Key Club" amps this is as close as you'll get, and at a net total cost about one-fourth to one-third of a vintage original...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 01-04-2018, 11:01 AM

I can't overemphasise how good the Henriksen Bud is for this sort of thing. Its amazing for acoustic too.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops