The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM

Default Pedal Order Advice needed

I think my pedals are in a pretty good order but I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions. I don't have many but the ones I do definitely get affected by the order.

My main question is do I put my Xotic AC Booster as my first pedal or leave where it is?

Right now, this is my chain: Guitar into Wah > Q-Tron envelope filter > Xotic AC Booster > Boss Distortion/OD > DOD Phaser > Ernie B Volume Pedal > Boss delay (If I choose to use it, if not my Volume pedal goes straight to my amp.)

I have it this way because of the amount of people who say to put all of the boosts and OD after the Wah and Envelope Filter. I just didn't know if it'd be better to boost my signal right out of the gate and send to everything like that or leave as is.

I mainly play my PRS Custom 22 with Lollar single coils for humbuckers into my Fender Bassman.

I almost always have my AC booster on because I play clean a lot and it not only adds a little beef but it cuts down on the ear piercing total clean that the Bassman likes to put out. (although after 30 years of playing electric guitar I'm now working my tone knob a lot. I went 30 years with it on full tilt-had no idea what I was missing)

With my set up I basically have 3 sounds to choose from then go to wherever from each one
1- Bassman totally clean (which is super duper clean)
2-AC Boost (still pretty clean with just a little boost)
3-Boss OD/Distortion (typical OD)

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:13 AM

I don't think a boost in particular is as dependent on placement as some others depending on what you're trying to achieve with the boost - if you're stacking with an OD then obviously it needs to be before the OD. Presumably it will push the front end of the amp regardless of where it is in the chain. But conventional wisdom usually puts it where you have it - to give you the option of stacking with an OD/Distortion should you want to do that.

I have a clean boost (one side of my T Rex Moller pedal) and it runs independent of the OD section - I have it at the end of my OD chain (Soul Food>TS10>Moller) as I use it solely as a volume boost for leads (plus driving the amp a bit) and if I'm stacking OD it is usually the Soul Food and the Moller which gets a nice tone. I have the SF at a low drive level so it is something of a clean boost on its own.

And I feel you on the tone knob - I went decades always playing wide open other than sometimes using the neck volume on my Epiphone to blend the two pickups slightly. I'm not sure why it took me so long but dang it opens up a world of new options.
PRS Custom 24
Rickenbacker 330
Teles (too many)

Bad Cat Cub III 30R
Goodsell Super 17
Vintage Sound VS22

Too many pedals!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'll probably leave as is.

The only reason I use the booster pedal is to produce a clean sound without the piercing highs that my amp puts out. I have the AC Booster set so there is no volume change with it on. I actually try to have my amp only, AC booster and Distortion pedal all at the same volume so it's not the volume that changes when I hit em just the sound that's emitted.

So I find that the AC booster (it is so far the perfect pedal for what I'm trying to do with it-as I tried a bunch) just knocks off the piercing tones, fattens up the tone a bit and allows me to bang some hard clean chords ala reggae with out making people's ears bleed.

I have the gain turned so low about 1-2 that it sounds like a pure clean tone until I turn it off and you can hear the straight Bassman clean sound. So my clean tone is actually a tad dirty. Just a tad

One LOve
Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM

I think you are doing it right. It's more or less the way I would set mine up given those pedals. OD prior to wah is pretty cool if you like that Mike Ashton Stooges cooking bacon sizzling kind of fuzz but otherwise it's pretty abrasive doing it that way. Delay almost always comes at the end. Boost can go where ever you like it but again, I would go after wah, and compression if you were using that.

Funny you mention the tone knob too, I was convinced I don't even need one. In fact I usually just have the volume on ten set and forget too. Only recently I started realizing they are great tools to tame your tone on stage and or to push it up to the front.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think you are doing it right. It's more or less the way I would set mine up given those pedals. OD prior to wah is pretty cool if you like that Mike Ashton Stooges cooking bacon sizzling kind of fuzz but otherwise it's pretty abrasive doing it that way. Delay almost always comes at the end. Boost can go where ever you like it but again, I would go after wah, and compression if you were using that.

Funny you mention the tone knob too, I was convinced I don't even need one. In fact I usually just have the volume on ten set and forget too. Only recently I started realizing they are great tools to tame your tone on stage and or to push it up to the front.
Funny you say that about your tone knob. When I had a Strat type electric built for me a few years ago I contemplated going without a tone knob. Didn't think I needed one. Certainly didn't think I needed two.

Thank Jah I had him put at least one on there.

I think Paul Gilbert has always had his guitars with volume only. I can't think of anybody else who only has volume.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:31 PM

IIRC Eddie Van Halen had a guitar with just a volume knob too.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 AM

Default Pedal board order?

Here is my layout. It's a combo elec/acoustic board.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 AM

Your Looper should be the last pedal otherwise it doesn’t capture all of the pedal effects. I would add a noise reduction pedal also.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars