The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Default New Flatiron Day...Part Deux

Last month, I bought a Gibson Nashville made Flatiron mandolin. Very happy with it.

Being the level headed guy that I am, I bought another Flatiron today. Its an A5 Artist made in Montana.

Having two Flatiron A5's might not make much sense but the Nashville made one is tone bar braced with the Loar gradation formulas applied. The Montana has the Flatiron X brace and their traditional top gradation. Its also a little nicer with full body sunburst, gold hardware, and front, back, and fingerboard binding.

Post picture when it arrive but here is a stock photo of the model.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 PM

I have always wanted a mandolin that looks and sounds like #74003, AKA "The Griffith Loar Gibson A5" AKA the best mandolin I have ever heard.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I have always wanted a mandolin that looks and sounds like #74003, AKA "The Griffith Loar Gibson A5" AKA the best mandolin I have ever heard.

I'll never own that, but my understanding is that Derrington era Flatirons and Gibsons were built using Loar's original formulas and they can he had at decent prices, certainly not the six figures plus of an original.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:07 PM

None of us will. It is the hands of an anonymous collector (although I do have to say that the various owners have all being extremely gracious with regard to giving luthiers and interested parties access to the instrument for measurement. There exist several different "plans" for the Griffith Loar). The Flatiron A5 and the Gibson A5L will have to do.

People can judge for themselves whether they think the A5L hits the mark:

Old 07-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
None of us will. It is the hands of an anonymous collector (although I do have to say that the various owners have all being extremely gracious with regard to giving luthiers and interested parties access to the instrument for measurement. There exist several different "plans" for the Griffith Loar). The Flatiron A5 and the Gibson A5L will have to do.

People can judge for themselves whether they think the A5L hits the mark:
That particular A5L is from '88. Might be better to compare to one from Derrington's tenure about 10 or so years later. Not going to be the same as the original, but might be closer.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
That particular A5L is from '88. Might be better to compare to one from Derrington's tenure about 10 or so years later. Not going to be the same as the original, but might be closer.
Yeah, I know, went back to dovetail neck joints among other things. I couldn't find a good enough clip of a Derrington era A5L.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Congrats HHP! Those FlatIrons are great mandolins. My son Elijah was in love with an F5 at Lowe Vintage until he played his Silverangel. I'd love to hear a sound clip or see a video to show my son!

Eric
Old 07-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post
Congrats HHP! Those FlatIrons are great mandolins. My son Elijah was in love with an F5 at Lowe Vintage until he played his Silverangel. I'd love to hear a sound clip or see a video to show my son!

Eric
This one will be new to me sound wise. Haven't played an X braced Flatiron in a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments