The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-30-2017, 12:32 PM

Default First Archtop-NOGD-'45 Epiphone Triumph

Well, I didn't think I would end up with a battered '45 Epiphone Triumph for my first archtop (thought it would be a Loar LH-700) but I put in what I thought was a low bid for the Triumph on ebay and won it. As you can see by the photos it is not close to a Collector Piece, but I don't care (if you saw my great sounding '48 Gibson J-50 with a horrible refin you'd see what I'm about ).

There is a repaired crack on the lower f hole and some overspray on part of the neck but it has had a fairly recent neck reset and refret and that was big for me. It arrived today and I love the barky sound. I am not a jazz guy by any means (more Old School Country/Folk/Blues/R&B) but I have written a few songs that I know would sound great on an archtop.

Here is a quick and dirty sound clip of my rudimentary playing of the old Country Chestnut "Any Time" recorded on my lousy iphone 4 that I hope will at least give you an idea of the tone. The strings look to be D'Addario PBs and the guitar will be restrung soon with 13s but I was too excited to wait! Thanks to all who chimed in on my earlier thread regarding the Godin question. After the sound clip link there are the obligatory pictures.

2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

Last edited by bayoubengal; 03-30-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Congrats. Looks fabulous. I had one almost just like it at the start of my long love affair with archtops.

Play it in love and good health!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Nice, that model was my first archtop, and away we go!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:22 PM

Cool. I think it sounds great and looks the part!
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM

Congrats, very cool archtop.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Congrats! Triumphs may just be the best value out there in old archtops. I have a blonde 1953 Triumph Regent. I swear I like the sound of the Epi over any Gibson archtop I have gotten my hands on. Like you I am not a jazz guy but fingerpick da' bluz on mine. While it is just my preference, I string my Triumph with 13 gauge D'Adarrio Nickel Bronze. A bit pricey but that guitar seems to love those strings. I do gotta ask - how has the binding held up? Epiphones are notorious for binding issues. The binding and pickguards off-gas like crazy.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Congrats! Triumphs may just be the best value out there in old archtops. I have a blonde 1953 Triumph Regent. I swear I like the sound of the Epi over any Gibson archtop I have gotten my hands on. Like you I am not a jazz guy but fingerpick da' bluz on mine. While it is just my preference, I string my Triumph with 13 gauge D'Adarrio Nickel Bronze. A bit pricey but that guitar seems to love those strings. I do gotta ask - how has the binding held up? Epiphones are notorious for binding issues. The binding and pickguards off-gas like crazy.
Thanks, zw! I agree about the tone of the old Epi Archtops. I had heard about off-gas issues with the binding and pickguards before. The binding on this one seems to have held up surprisingly well. The pickguard is a new repro so I'm guessing off-gassing did the orignal one in.

2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops