The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Guest 2143

Default Strings question

I just replaced the very old, worn Savarez Cristal Corum strings on my guitar with D"addario EJ44SP and strongly dislike the new strings. They have settled in, hold tune well, and have great intonation, but they sound dull/lifeless to my ears. The Savarez set sounded way better to me even when they were ready to be retired.

Since I am relatively new to experimenting with different classical guitar strings, I was wondering if they pretty much sound the way they sound once they are stretched and hold tune, or if I can expect them to change a lot in terms of tone (get brighter, clearer sounding, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

My reaction to D'Addario strings, after using Savarez was much the same as yours. I was very disappointed in the sound and it never got better.

I went back to Savarez, in my case the Alliance Corium version. Haven't tried any other strings since. YMMV!

Dave
Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
My reaction to D'Addario strings, after using Savarez was much the same as yours. I was very disappointed in the sound and it never got better.

I went back to Savarez, in my case the Alliance Corium version. Haven't tried any other strings since. YMMV!

Dave
Thanks for the message. Are you using the high tension or normal tension corum alliance set?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

HT, but then I'm kind of heavy handed...or should I say heavy fingered. (smile)

Dave
Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-thirty-great View Post
they sound dull/lifeless to my ears. The Savarez set sounded way better to me even when they were ready to be retired.

I was wondering if they pretty much sound the way they sound once they are stretched and hold tune, or if I can expect them to change a lot in terms of tone (get brighter, clearer sounding, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your help.
Usually strings will sound duller, less clear sounding, etc. as they get older.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Usually strings will sound duller, less clear sounding, etc. as they get older.
Thanks. This is what I assumed, but I wasn't sure if nylon strings behaved differently in this respect from steel strings. Looks they are the same in this respect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical