The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM

Ok ...I have been using these for a month now ...and I like them for what I needed except for one thing. After about ten hours of playing ....the winding on the D, A and lower E string started to unravel down at the lower frets ....especially the 5th fret. I have them on a 1920's Martin Wurlitzer 00-18 with bar frets. The folks at Pearse sent me another set to try which I have put on a Martin 0-28 with bar frets too to see if the bar frets are a problem ....or if it was the particular guitar. Otherwise I like them for my application ..you can hear them here:

http://youtu.be/CZ565HWsE0o
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
I've got the the Thomastik-Pearse Folk set on my 1907 Martin 0-18. As close as I can get to a steelstring sound without the pressure on the top (same 84 lbs of pressure as a traditional nylon set). They do have metal ball ends and cost quite a bit, but my first set has been on for at least two months and still sound good (my playing aside). Here's a brief demo I posted to Youtube - recorded on my Canon SX10 IS, so not the greatest fidelity.

Austin
Wow, looks like a cool guitar. It looks like it is in really great shape, particularly impressive given how old it is. Has it been refinished at some point?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Still playing away on the 0-28 with these ...so far about five hours on them ...and maybe not the same problem on this guitar ...will keep posted on it.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:29 AM

I currently have the TI Ropes S on my old 0-18 which came with the JP Folks when I bought it several months ago. At first I didn't care for the Ropes but I am getting to like them better,possibly though because my memory of the Folks is fading. I'll put the Folks back on when I next change strings. Both string sets are expensive.

Peter
Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Wow, looks like a cool guitar. It looks like it is in really great shape, particularly impressive given how old it is. Has it been refinished at some point?
Original finish on my ol' 0-18, which is now Peter's ol' 0-18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petespix View Post
I currently have the TI Ropes S on my old 0-18 which came with the JP Folks when I bought it several months ago. At first I didn't care for the Ropes but I am getting to like them better,possibly though because my memory of the Folks is fading. I'll put the Folks back on when I next change strings. Both string sets are expensive.

Peter
Hey, Peter - hope you're doing well. How are you two getting along?

Regards,
Austin
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Hey Austin, sorry for the late reply, just saw your question today.

The 0-18 and I are doing great. It still has the same strings on it as I mentioned in an earlier post, the TI Ropes. They are over a half year old but sound excellent. I'm glad they last because they are about $30 a set. Next string change I'll go back to the JP Folks to see how they sound again. I keep it tuned down a half step when in standard tuning D#-D#. Lately though I have the guitar in open D, deep rumbly lows but sweet sounding all around.
Regardless of the tuning it is usually my go to guitar.

Peter
Old 08-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear you're both doing well together! Since she's gone on to live with you, I can't say that I haven't looked for her in the guitar closet once or twice.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
I've got the the Thomastik-Pearse Folk set on my 1907 Martin 0-18. As close as I can get to a steelstring sound without the pressure on the top (same 84 lbs of pressure as a traditional nylon set). They do have metal ball ends and cost quite a bit, but my first set has been on for at least two months and still sound good (my playing aside). Here's a brief demo I posted to Youtube - recorded on my Canon SX10 IS, so not the greatest fidelity.

Austin
They sound really clear. I'm also looking for rich bass sound if possible. Do you think the bass isn't emphasized as much because your awesome Martin is braced heavier than a classical guitar and takes more tension to vibrate? Can anyone else way in on the bassiness of these strings?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I’ve got the TI JP Folk on my Cordoba currently and love them. They have excellent volume and the bass is strong but not boomy to my ears. The strings have been on this guitar for about 4 months. I love TI strings and have had excellent results with Spectrums and Plectrums on my steel strings and also use TI’s on my mandolin. The intonation is very consistent for all applications and I always get over 4 months life or more out of every TI string set so that offsets the higher cost compared to many other string brands I have used where I felt like I needed to change at 1/3 to 1/2 the life I get out of TI’s. I once tried a set of the Classic S on a Taylor 814 and the tone was beautiful even though the volume was somewhat reduced.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical