The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-04-2004, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Default decent, inexpensive resonator guitars

Heard some recordings today of incredible resonator guitar work, and now I have the itch to learn. Is anyone building a reasonably-priced resonophonic guitar that's not total junk these days? Any suggestions? I know National Resophonic is making some nice reproductions of old National guitars, but they are still a little pricey for what I'm after.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:41 AM

I've got the same itch, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The two most recommended imports seem to be the Regal 45 and the Johnson, which are then upgraded with a better reso cone, wooden bridge and bone nut.

Dan Beard, who makes a fine custom reso, also offers an import with a quaterman / ebony / bone setup.

http://www.beardguitars.com/importresoguit.html

Elderly used to have a similar deal (import w/ quarterman setup) on their reso web page, but I don't see it now :

http://www.elderly.com/highlights/resonator_guitar.html

Also, check out the slide form at http://www.umgf.com

and the forums at

http://www.jerrydouglas.com/bb_threads.cfm

Good luck and let me know what you end up with.

jas.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson
I know National Resophonic is making some nice reproductions of old National guitars, but they are still a little pricey for what I'm after.
The Nationals are very nice. I tried a few when I was looking for a roundneck but ended up with a Gibson. Gibson bought Dobro a few years ago and they make some very nice instruments. If either of you is looking for a roundneck for about $800 let me know because I probably should sell it, I don't play it enough.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:10 AM

Fender makes one. I have no idea how it stacks up, but it you can always order one from a big retailer and have the 45 day return.

Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and do a search for "resonator" and you will get three pages with many of them under $500.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Before you go for one of the Regals or other inexpensive resonators check out Liberty Guitars. I have a Copperhead, and I've considered selling it a few times over the past few months when GAS has a hold of me, but as soon as I play it I change my mind. Bill Blue makes these down in Florida. He usually has a few on ebay at any time. While not up to the level of a nice vintage National or Dobro, or a Beard, they are nice guitars for the money.

Here's a couple of pics:

Last edited by mtnByker; 07-04-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Beard's "upgraded imports" look quite tempting for the price

Charlemagne, what model is your Gibson? I wouldn't mind some pics, if you have the chance.

mtnByker, have you had any construction issues with your liberty? I know this hardly means anything, but the harmonycentral reviews of that guitar are a little scary.

thanks.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
mtnByker, have you had any construction issues with your liberty? I know this hardly means anything, but the harmonycentral reviews of that guitar are a little scary.
thanks.
I just went to look at the reviews for the Copperhead, and I see what you mean. The last 2 would have made me a little nervous too.

I did notice a few months ago that the binding started to seperate just a bit right at the neck. It peeled back by about a sixteenth of an inch. I just pressed it back in place, and it hasn't continued to seperate. I'll eventually squeeze a drop of superglue into it, but it hasn't been a problem so far. I am surprised that it wasn't secured down better, to be honest. I'm sure if I pulled at it the whole binding would come off, though. I have chosen not to do that.

Looking closely at the setup on mine just now I do notice that the treble E string is slightly closer too the edge of the fretboard than the bass side, maybe a 16th of an inch or so. It's slight, but noticable to the naked eye. It looks nice and even at the nut, but the saddle seems to be off by just a tiny bit. Since I really don't get up past the 5th fret yet it hasn't mattered to me, but now that I've noticed it it does seem off. I'm not sure how much this would matter to a serious player.

As for the quality of the box itself, it is definitely laminate, and I would certainly say it is in some way pre-formed before Liberty turns it into a guitar. I doubt he does all of the bending, etc. I figure this is the only way a small builder can offer a guitar at the prices he does. At this price range i'm OK with that. The sound is decent for the money. The biggest problem I have had with the guitar is that it set up a serious jones for a nice old vintage National or Dobro, and I'm sure someday I will go for it. I've seen a few old vintage National Polychromes that make me drool a bit. The real ones, not the newer 'polychrome' finish. The price keeps them seriously out of range though.

So, I guess I can really only give a half or 3/4 recomendation. Given the expectation that this is not a top of the line instrument, I've been very happy with mine. It definitely doesn't have a perfect setup or finish, but I haven't had the issues seen in those reviews either.

I did notice Elderly has a low end Beard for a similar price. That might be worth looking into. I bet it is a nice guitar for the $$$ too.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Jefferson,

My Gibson is a DWF-60...looks like this...

that pic is off the Gibson website...mine has several dings along the back edge and one on the back of the neck. (I bought it that way). The finish is so dark that it doesn't take away from the appearance much. Let me know if you'd like real pics and I will send them...I have s...l...o...w....dialup.

[email protected]

Charlemagne
Old 07-06-2004, 07:02 PM

I got a Liberty Cooperhead, with a Quarterman cone and pickup upgrade. I wrote one of those negative reviews on Harmony Central after trying to get the guitar playable working with Liberty. Basically, the saddle slots were cut improperly, causing the big E string to be unplayable. Just layed there and clunked. Not even close. I talked to Liberty, and Bill said to try a truss rod adjustment, that would never have fixed the problem, or adjust the spider bridge. I tried both, no luck. I fixed it by replacing the saddle with an aftermarket ebony tipped maple one from Elderly. Took a little work, and I certainly am not a guitar tech. Plus they shipped it in a case which was the wrong size. Bill said that must have been a mistake, and I said they packed the inside of the guitar case with newspaper, so someone must have noticed that it was the wrong size case. I asked Bill to send me a new case several times, since I paid extra for it, and no luck again, after he said he would. Basically quit trying. I read all the reviews on Harmony Central and used them as a basis for purchasing the guitar, along with pre purchase talks with Bill Blue. The warranty is a little nebulous also. It was implied that there is a warranty, but nothing in writing, and based on my experience, I would consider myself to be on my own. I consider the purchase a lesson learned, and probably would not buy another Liberty guitar. The reviews are for the most part good, but my mileage did vary.

Pat Monarch

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone

Last edited by FNG; 07-06-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

While I was in town today I played one of the low end Regals, priced very similar to the Copperhead and I have to say I was severely unimpressed. My Copperhead definitely sounds bigger and richer by far. The Regal felt really cheap, and I was surprised at how shallow the body was. It had a very different sound, it was thinner than the Copperhead, but did not 'bite' the way a nice National does.

But the really bad thing was the finish. The f holes looked like they had been roughed out with a coping saw and never filed or sanded to shape. I mean they didn't even pretend to approximate a curve. It was jagged and rough. I wish I had a picture. Even on a cheapo instrument this was just bad.

FNG, I'm sorry to hear about your experience w/ Liberty, from the way you described it, I'd be very unhappy.

Maybe there just is no really great choice in the low end Reso market? I know after I finish the Mando I'm currently building my next project will be one of the Stew-Mac Reso kits. We'll see how that goes.

On a good note, my new Larrivee Mahogany topped parlor came today, so the Maple is for sale in the Marketplace. The Mahogany top is very nice.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:07 PM

I did play a Gibson/Dobro squareneck that was really nice sounding. Around 800 bucks or so. I don't remember the model number, but think it was close to what charlemenge has.

I think the Beard imports may be a good option also. Beard is one of the top names in resos, and that price on the link jhm posted is pretty competitve. They probably are the best option, ask them if they offer a couple day approval period.

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone
Old 07-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
I did play a Gibson/Dobro squareneck that was really nice sounding. Around 800 bucks or so. I don't remember the model number, but think it was close to what charlemenge has.

I think the Beard imports may be a good option also. Beard is one of the top names in resos, and that price on the link jhm posted is pretty competitve. They probably are the best option, ask them if they offer a couple day approval period.
Actually, if the squareneck you played was NEW at $800, it might have been the "Hound dog" model. Charlemagne's is a much fancier, top-of-the-line model. If it really is for sale, that's a truly great price.

I think I'm going to look into either a Beard-customized Regal or Goldtone import
Old 07-07-2004, 10:52 AM
minister of twang

Quote:
I think I'm going to look into either a Beard-customized Regal or Goldtone import
i'd recommend working with beard on this. i did an upgrade to a regal through another shop (mistake) and then brought it in to beard for some work. they do a really good job there - first-class builder, and will make sure you get a good setup on the import. you'll get the same level of service (tho not quality, obviously) that you'd get if paul was building you a custom. they'll do squareneck or roundneck.
l'twangage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments