The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Mandolin Picks

Been trying various picks for mandolin lately. Seems that they all involve some trade-off between volume, tone, and control. The rounded picks offer really nice tone and control but give up volume. More pointed picks give better volume but seem to sacrifice control and some tone.

Took a few 1.26 celluloid picks I had and tried modifying for mandolin. Rounded the tip but still left a discernible point. Then speed beveled them with the bevels meeting in the center of the rounded tip.

Seems to be a better compromise as I have good volume, good but a little bright tone, and decent control. Doesn't seem to sacrifice any one area too greatly. Only takes about 15 minutes and I also like that the picks end up about 1/8 inch shorter.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I prefer large triangles with rounded tips. I always used old TS picks which were fashioned like that until BC picks came on the scene/

I now use TAD 50-3r. Does the job admirably.

Wegen also offers a number of mando pick options.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:53 PM

I've tried quite a few. For me a pick has to be at least 2.0 mm thick. I now prefer these thick picks on guitar as well. I also like the "mando shape" over the "guitar teardrop" shape. Never really liked my blue chips or the Gravity Gold series. I like the Wegen M250 the best. If I want a brighter tone I use the Gravity acrylic, 2.0 or 3.0 mm.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Try a Blue Chip TAD 1R 60. One rounded tip. Like getting two picks.

The other pick I like is a Wegen Dipper. It has three different tips, and is my go to for guitar and mandolin in different thicknesses. I like to keep a pick with each instrument and I'd need $350 worth of BC picks to do that.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Try a Blue Chip TAD 1R 60. One rounded tip. Like getting two picks.

The other pick I like is a Wegen Dipper. It has three different tips, and is my go to for guitar and mandolin in different thicknesses. I like to keep a pick with each instrument and I'd need $350 worth of BC picks to do that.
Have a TP-1R 60. Works well but It won't seem to give me the tone I am looking for on mandolin,might be a little too harsh or bright with the doubled strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments