The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-23-2017, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Paco live...

I wish that I'd been able to see the man live. Sabicas has been my favorite flamenco artist since I was a kid listening to my parents' Sabicas albums in the 70s. So though I was very aware of Paco, I never really immersed myself in his music. I think that was probably because of his collaboration with DiMeola and McLaughlin in the 80s and 90s. That was the first Paco stuff that I was exposed to and frankly, it left me cold and uninspired. In hindsight, I think it was the other two artists who left me uninspired (at least in context of that project). Paco was just amazing and I wish that I had made it a priority to see him live when he was touring. I should probably keep an eye out for Tomatito shows, as from what I've seen, he's definitely the heir to Paco's throne.

Hmmm... can't seem to make the YouTube link work thus far. Here's a direct link to the video that I'm enjoying at the moment... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8vp6Rpjzsg
Old 02-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I've bought several CDs, looking for a solo performance by Paco. Descriptions for those have been miss leading. I've yet to find one that is just him playing Flamenco. He seems to have loved playing with other musicians.

Dave
Old 02-23-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I've bought several CDs, looking for a solo performance by Paco. Descriptions for those have been miss leading. I've yet to find one that is just him playing Flamenco. He seems to have loved playing with other musicians.

Dave
I picked up his "Light and Shade" DVD last week and there were solo performances on there.

I'm the opposite. I was raised listening to solo flamenco performances like Sabicas, Carlos Montoya, etc. And I find that these days, I appreciate the fuller sound of flamenco artists playing with other artists... whether it be guitar players, dancers, percussion, etc.

What I didn't like about Paco's collaboration with DiMeola and McLaughlin was that it was much more their sound, than it was Paco's. If his personality had shown through in that trio more, I think that I would have liked it more and come to an appreciation of him earlier in life.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:01 PM

At the moment I am still fairly new to flamenco (been playing that style for only a year or so) so my preference is definitely in the more traditional performances of Sabicas, etc. I have listened to a bunch of Paco de Lucia and again, his more "traditional" stuff is really cool, currently not as interested in ensemble pieces, especially where he is experimenting more in a jazz fusion style.

That said, I think it is great that he was willing to take flamenco into new and different directions, and it seems like only a player of that incredible caliber can do that "and get away with it"

Later
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical