The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-20-2016, 04:12 PM

Default Ukes.

Hey everyone,
Quick question for you on ukuleles.
I am looking for a concert size, and am between the Oscar Schmidt OU2 and the Gretsch g9110.

Opinions?
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Not familiar with the Gretsch. The Oscar Schmidt can be good, but the quality varies a lot. Some are great and some are duds. I would counsel to only buy in person, not by mail.

Any instrument has to tick off the big three: tone, playability, intonation. A distant fourth factor is looks / bling. More info at: www.boiseukulelegroup.com
Old 01-22-2016, 10:22 AM

I have a Gretsch G9120-SM (tenor) and it's great. It has a deeper body and chunkier neck than most other ukuleles I have seen (and I play in an ukulele circle with up to 40 participants). Therefore it's easy to play when your are used to guitar necks and it has a bit of extra volume so it stood out nicely in folk sessions with fiddlers, banjo, mandolin and guitars as well as in a group session with a 12-string. I also have it set up with a low-G which may add to its "big" sound. I would not trade it for another uke, though have not yet compared it to a high end (e.g. Kamaka Koa) uke.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Any instrument has to tick off the big three: tone, playability, intonation. A distant fourth factor is looks / bling. More info at: www.boiseukulelegroup.com
Thanks for the link. This certainly is one of the most impressive collections of uke resources I have seen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments