The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-12-2015, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Has it occurred to anybody else that the OP person is asking us for halp and may not have English as his/her first language ? I think that we should be more polite and welcoming when this is apparently the case - this IS an international forum.

Secondly , whilst I agree that a new nut would be the best option, ther are places on this planet where obtaining such things are not so easy.

Dear "Enable" If a new nut option is not available to you - the shim under the nut must be exactly the width of the groove, and it could possibly be glued to the nut (NOT) the neck.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:08 AM

im surely going to replace the nut, i just wanted to know if this improvisation could harm the guitar until i will take it to luthier.

thanks for the help !
Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 AM

It shouldn't damage the guitar but looking at how high the strings are above the first fret I suspect the guitar will feel difficult to play without a capo.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enable View Post
im surely going to replace the nut, i just wanted to know if this improvisation could harm the guitar until i will take it to luthier.

thanks for the help !
It could possibly damage the edge of the headstock lamination. It would not be a structural issue, but an aesthetic issue.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair