The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2017, 06:08 PM

Default L1C Happy Consumer

To my pleasant surprise, my L1C Bose stick system arrived today. Unboxing was simple enough.

First run was with the wife singing karaoke with a Sennheiser e945 using sound from a BlackBerry Z10 piped through a Smart tv via hdmi with a 1/8" to dual rca out to the line level channel 2 on the Bose. I couldn't believe how well the sound carried directly to the side of the unit -- even 35 feet away.

Program music sounds ok, vocals pretty decent.

The magic happened once I plugged in my FGX730SC. The guitar sound was very pleasing. Bose got it right with the Tonematch patch on channel 2.

My wife noted that vocals sounded better when I got up close on the mic.

Stay tuned for more thoughts as I try other mics, guitars, mixers, effects and configurations in the weeks to come.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 11-21-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM

Congrats. I also use the Sennheiser e945 for vocals and am always happy with it. The dispersion on the unit is really a great feature in so many settings. Except (as noted in previous discussions) when you want to blast the audience. I’m sure you’ll be ejoying for many years to come.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 PM

Glad you are happy..
Congrats!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 PM

Slumming it with the Senn e935 and no complaints. I bought it with me when I auditioned the used L1C. The guy who I bought it from who is a definite pro who gigs constantly said he was immediately going to buy the same mic.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Slumming it with the Senn e935 and no complaints. I bought it with me when I auditioned the used L1C. The guy who I bought it from who is a definite pro who gigs constantly said he was immediately going to buy the same mic.
I've got a 935 to try yet, among a team of other dynamic mics: Blue Encore 100, EV ND767A, Cobalt CO9, AKG D5 DLX, Heil PR20, plus a couple mics that require phantom power (Blue Encore 200, and the condenser Encore 300). And I know I'll have to use a mixer or another preamp to get phantom power. I'll be using my Yamaha MG8CX mixer and/or an ART MP tube pre.

I can't wait to try my pedals through it too.

I prefer the 935 over the 945 if I'm playing and singing.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I've got a 935 to try yet, among a team of other dynamic mics: Blue Encore 100, EV ND767A, Cobalt CO9, AKG D5 DLX, Heil PR20, plus a couple mics that require phantom power (Blue Encore 200, and the condenser Encore 300). And I know I'll have to use a mixer or another preamp to get phantom power. I'll be using my Yamaha MG8CX mixer and/or an ART MP tube pre.

I can't wait to try my pedals through it too.

I prefer the 935 over the 945 if I'm playing and singing.
Nice.. I have heard nothing but great things about the Sennheiser mics. May have to try one!

On the L1C... I've yet to get a "bad" sound out of it. Frankly, it sounds terrific Guitar and Mic straight in.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:43 AM

I have been using my Bose L1C for a few months now and couldn't be more pleased . I have tried it both straight in with mic and guitar and also through a small 6 channel mixer with effects. Both ways sound pretty good. I use a Senn E835 and am very please with the sound. I found the E935 a bit too Hot for me?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

What's Old Is Now New Again! Hooray for Bose and its L1C Compact which seems to be enjoying a renewed enthusiasm and respect amongst AGF members.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-24-2017, 10:58 PM

Yes. That enthuaism peaked my interest. Based on experiences from my audiophile days I never considered Bose for a monitor/speaker. Well, I ordered one and got it one day after YamahaGuy. I have spent several hours with it over the last 3 days and like its sound. Sounds good at low to moderate volume. Easy to listen to. Straight in with a Taylor 814es2 and even more so using the Play Acoustic with BodyRez 2 setting and a little reverb. Light, easy to setup, carrying cases included and uses minimal footprint. Thanks to all who contributed their experiences. May not be for everybody but the "package" hit most of I was looking for at a reasonable price. I have the PA for effects and would have liked one more TRS input but not a deal breaker in my case.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:10 PM

The 935 is a superb mic
Martin J40
Old 11-26-2017, 07:16 PM

2nd time playing through the L1C, this time with the AC3R and EV767a mic. I had to boost the bass on the vocal a bit, which is typical with that mic through any other pa system. The guitar needed the volume ramped to 3 o'clock so I could leave the volume on my guitar at 12 o'clock like I like to do. The guitar eq patch for Tone Match must have a lot of treble, as I had to roll off the hi eq on my guitar, which again is typical through any other pa, but the treble really rings out through the Bose.

The thing I'm really digging and impressed by so far is the bass response. It is much better than I'd expected, and my AC3R usually lacks a little low end punch, but it was there through the L1C.

Next time, I'll try a mixer with some effects, my Blue Encore 300 -- which is prone to feedback and needs the low
end rolled off -- and maybe an electric guitar through my main pedalboard. This setup will be kind of oxymoronic -- a complicated setup for a basic pa.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification