The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-08-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Installing K&K Pure Mini?

So I’ve had this pickup for about 2.5 years now...I bought it intending to put it in my Guild, but it’s in need a neck reset and my wife won’t allow the funds for that at the moment. I’m strongly considering putting it into my Walden as it’s a solid top/back guitar and still sounds and plays wonderful. My big fear is putting it in myself, fully knowing there’s nothing super complicated to it. Drilling an acoustic scares me....I know to go slow and put painters tape around the hole. Should I fear thisnas much as I do? Would you here recommend I give it a try on my own? I’m fairly handy and have worked a lot on electric guitars, just never acoustics. As far as glueing it in, it looks pretty simple/straightforward if I make the jig as recommended. Is any super glue better than another?
Here’s the instructions I’ve found most helpful. http://www.cavalierpickups.com/frettech/kk/index.html
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 AM

I am not handy in the least and I installed a Baggs Lyric in my D-18. I had an old beater that I practiced drilling on before I went for it on the D-18. Drilling into the beater gave me a feel for what was going to happen and took away some of the fear involved with drilling my new Martin.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I am not handy in the least and I installed a Baggs Lyric in my D-18. I had an old beater that I practiced drilling on before I went for it on the D-18. Drilling into the beater gave me a feel for what was going to happen and took away some of the fear involved with drilling my new Martin.

Maybe I’ll have to drill a practice hole in my Marlboro Miles Guitar my mom gave me forever ago...I could always pick up a cheap pickup to throw in there at some point if I drill it I suppose. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-08-2017, 01:37 PM

It's not hard, I've 2 installs under my belt now. As you know, just take your time.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Since the endpin area is not too deep I did the drilling by hand, just the right sized bit and a nice grippy glove. and it did not take to long. I had a youtube demo video on a shelf right at eye level. Be sure the super glue is fresh. I put one in my old Gibby J50 and Taylor 810 - which kept me a little nervous. Make a couple practice reach ins with the pickup dots to feel comfortable. I have been very happy with the results. As a couple have said - take your sweet time.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:43 AM

The first time I installed one I was nervous about drilling the hole as well. I ended up getting a reamer from Sears and have been using that ever since. It takes longer to make the hole, but you can go nice and slow.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM

Thank you all for giving me some more confidence. I’ll try it today or tomorrow, I bought new strings last night.

Is all super glue equal?

Biggest question, placement of the high string transducer. Between e and b or aligned with the e?
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-09-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
Thank you all for giving me some more confidence. I’ll try it today or tomorrow, I bought new strings last night.

Is all super glue equal?

Biggest question, placement of the high string transducer. Between e and b or aligned with the e?
I don't believe the real issue is how hard it is to do mechanically, as you've discovered it's not brain surgery. The real issue is knowing exactly where to place those 3 pads to minimize quack and excess low mids. The first one I owned was installed by a reputable luthier, but it never really seemed to sound right, sound men had a hard time dialing it in. The second one I'm using now was installed by someone who's installed hundreds and hundreds of them. This one has zero quack and seems to draw compliments heard through all kinds of systems.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM

They are really quite easy to install. Don't be intimidated. Piece-0-cake!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I "jumped in" and did several K&K installs a few years back. I was nervous, but it turned out to be easier-than-expected. Here is my experience The Frettech method works well but I made a few modifications.

You probably already have the K&K installation manual, but I found it helpbul. They say any brand of gel super glue will work just fine.

Around the time of my install, some folks reported trouble with the superglue not adhering properly. There was an issue because KK used to ship a tube of CA glue with the pickup kit and the glue would freeze in cold temperatures. Here's a post from their Facebook page. It's not too likely that superglue you buy at the store will have gotten frozen, but k&k recommends a quick little test:
Quote:
we recommend to test the 3M superglue gel that is in the package, by using it to stick a penny to a piece of wood and see if it works. The penny should be solidly adhered after holding it down for 30 seconds.
Tips - When you get to the glue stage:
  • Wear latex gloves and promptly take them off between each glue application
  • Protect the body of your guitar by masking and taping off, so you can't accidently get any glue on your guitar
  • Acetone is a good solvent for CA glue - just be extremely careful - highly flamable.

I couldn't find much on what brand is best. You might find this article helpful.

Have fun and post back with your results.

Steve
Old 11-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
They are really quite easy to install. Don't be intimidated. Piece-0-cake!

Piezo-cake? I’m sorry. I had to!
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-09-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
I "jumped in" and did several K&K installs a few years back. I was nervous, but it turned out to be easier-than-expected. Here is my experience The Frettech method works well but I made a few modifications.

You probably already have the K&K installation manual, but I found it helpbul. They say any brand of gel super glue will work just fine.

Around the time of my install, some folks reported trouble with the superglue not adhering properly. There was an issue because KK used to ship a tube of CA glue with the pickup kit and the glue would freeze in cold temperatures. Here's a post from their Facebook page. It's not too likely that superglue you buy at the store will have gotten frozen, but k&k recommends a quick little test:

Tips - When you get to the glue stage:
  • Wear latex gloves and promptly take them off between each glue application
  • Protect the body of your guitar by masking and taping off, so you can't accidently get any glue on your guitar
  • Acetone is a good solvent for CA glue - just be extremely careful - highly flamable.

I couldn't find much on what brand is best. You might find this article helpful.

Have fun and post back with your results.

Steve
Thank you kindly! That is some great info. And living in the far north it’s worth it to test my glue, even being shipped to a store it can freeze up here. Going to run and pick up some glue this afternoon. Probably unstring it and drill it now.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 PM

Status update:
I have to work on it while my toddler isn’t awake....he is great help restringing but this is a bit precise.
Decided my Walden will be the test run guitar, when my Guild gets a neck reset I should feel more comfortable putting one on there then.
I removed the strings and went to remove the end pin. It was flush with the block on the inside, and was rather small on the outside. I tried a pliers and it almost immediately broke with very little pressure (I swear I was being gentle). I drilled it out starting with a 1/16” bit and slowly working larger. I got it out and drilled the hole up to 1/4” for now. Had to cautiously vacuum the inside of the guitar. Have it a nice polish and oiled the fret board while it is a blank slate. Then proceeded to dry run without any glue or the pickups to get a feel for the holes. I will need to do this again later before attempting to glue them. It is quite a challenge finding the holes inside the guitar! I am understanding how to find them better after a few tests though.
Once my toddler is up we will head to menards so that I can get a fresh 1/2” bit so that I know it is sharp and a new tube of glue. Hopefully do the remainder of the work tonight.
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
I ended up getting a reamer from Sears and have been using that ever since. It takes longer to make the hole, but you can go nice and slow.
This the way to go. The first time I drilled one I took a chip out around the end pin hole. I also got the hole to big. No one likes to have to big of hole. It worked out. I also suggest covering the guitar so you don't drip glue on it. Use the gel glue.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Gloves. Wear latex or nitrile gloves when you start using the super glue. I didn't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification