The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-29-2017, 03:32 PM

Default My personal Woodstock experience, weak, I'm so weak

So I have posted in the other Woodstock thread but I thought I would start a new one to share more of my personal thoughts.

As I mentioned it was a great weekend, hung out with Cigarfan a lot on Saturday got to meet some wonderful people including Bruce Sexauer, Steve Kinnaird, Ryan Middlebrook, John Kinnaird, Ben Wilborn, Paul Huemiller, Bill Tippin, Burton Legeyt, Jason Kostal, Bruce Petros, Tony Vines, and the list goes on and on. The guitars were amazing as are the people and the crowds. I had substantial conversations with all of these luthiers and all are entertaining, warm, and welcoming.

As mentioned with all this rain the parking lot on Sunday looked like it did in 1968 (or whenever it happened, I am far too young to know). Although as Woodstock aficionados are aware the concert was 20 miles or so away from downtown Woodstock.

I went Saturday and was able to restrain myself and did not purchase anything, felt good about that and felt bad about that at the same time. Weakness overcame me and I went back today and came home with two guitars haha haha. I will give you some pictures of those as well as a couple of other shots that I thought came out pretty nicely. I did not take pictures of all the guitars and builders as the place is so busy with people that is hard to even get space to take pictures like that. But I hope you enjoy what I have.

So the guitar on the right is a Ben Wilborn "Ellie Belle" named after his daughter. It is beautifully built, light, resonant, with a really cool set of EIR for the back. You can see that in the close-up, really different grain pattern. It has a Red Cedar top. Curly maple bindings. The guitars sounds as wonderful as it looks, I just sort of stumbled on it and purchased it in 5 minutes. When you know, you just know. It has a very quick attack, great sustain, nice, but not overwhelming overtones, plenty of bass, just the way I like em! Ben himself is a great, down to earth, friendly, humble guy, and it was great meeting him. He is also so generous, he built and donated a guitar to be auctioned off at Woodstock for a charity that helps local families in need. THANKS BEN. It was great meeting you and I came away with a new friend and a great instrument!!!!

The left hand guitar is Steve Kinnaird's new model, actually the first one built....some second finisher named Bob, has the second one, but I have the first hahahahaha! It is a take on the Martin 00 and is a wonderful little guitar with a big boy sound. Spanish Cedar back and sides (smells great) and a Sitka top. I think I saw this guitar being played more that any other at the show and I am fortunate that no one bought it before me. On kind of a sad and yet humerus note, 5 minutes after I bought it, a young lady came back to play it for the second time and it was gone. I did offer to let her buy it and I would wait for another, but she did not want me to do that, but hopefully she will have one built for herself. This is my first burst guitar and with the abalone it really pops. It is a Kinnaird so we all know it sounds GREAT!

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-29-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:35 PM

So here are a couple of other shots one is Cigarfan and Jason Kostal chillaxing on a bench outside of Woodstock exhibit hall. And the other is of the beautiful Creek that runs past the venue I don't know how it happened but I got a really cool light artifact coming in from right to left so I added that picture... it was an accident but it looks so cool I'm going to take credit for it.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-29-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Tom congratulations on both guitar purchases, excellent choices. It was good meeting you at the showcase.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous, Tom... not sure which is prettier, the guitars or the scenery! Congratulations on the purchases. I can't wait to hear more about them.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Tom congratulations on both guitar purchases, excellent choices. It was good meeting you at the showcase.
Thanks Doug, it was nice to meet you two as well. Good to know there are actual people behind these monikers! I bet you played this OO while you were there?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

And everywhere there was song and celebration... Congratulations, I look forward to your review. They are gorgeous.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Gorgeous, Tom... not sure which is prettier, the guitars or the scenery! Congratulations on the purchases. I can't wait to hear more about them.

Thanks Kerbie, I told you I am weak! I was not going to go back today, but I thought about how hard I have been working lately and looked at my upcoming schedule for this week, which is equally busy and thought, you know what, what is the point of all this stress and work if you can't treat yourself once in a while to make it all worth it....so back I went, and the pictures document the damage hahaha!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Yes I did play the 00 guitar. Beautiful sunburst and great sounding, a very nice new model addition to Steve and Ryan's lineup!
Old 10-29-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
And everywhere there was song and celebration... Congratulations, I look forward to your review. They are gorgeous.
Thank you, there are so many to chose from, but I feel good about it in that I found these two that were what I like aesthetically, tonally, built by nice guys, and within a price range that made me feel I was making a good deal!!!!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks for all the pics!

Tom. Congratulations on the TWO beauties, and thanks for all the pics, too.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Tom - Both STELLAR guitars. Being much stronger than you, I left empty-handed. Congrats anyway!...Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Tom. Congratulations on the TWO beauties, and thanks for all the pics, too.

Enjoy!!!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, your favorite guy had some STUNNING stuff for sale!!!! You know how good they are!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Both beauties are really something to behold. Congrats!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Tom - Both STELLAR guitars. Being much stronger than you, I left empty-handed. Congrats anyway!...Robert
Yes indeed, you are a strong one my kind sir....so much candy and hard to walk away!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I had the pleasure to audition them both...

Congratulations Tom...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop