The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-19-2017, 03:58 AM

Sounds like it might be time to buy that pesky metronome
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 11-20-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
Well, I didn't mean to "start" something with this post, but...

It is a combination of things.

I have gone back to the recording of "After The Wind" and listened to myself really hard...ouch (again). O.K. from a purely critical listening perspective this is not as difficult for me to listen to as it is for [all] others because I can hear it in my mind as it should sound. But our minds can deceive us (or at least me).

My timing is on and off throughout this song. I know what I was trying to play so I hear it "correct" even though it is not "correct". Ouch again for that realization.

I had this piece written out in tab and have gotten it back out to work on the phrasing. This should be a snappy, toe tapping, groovy, melodic song, but although the skeleton for that is there, it falls short. I can work with that failure. Just know I am working on this!

It should fall into a 4/4 time signature...but I believe I am going to ferret out - 1. some poorly done triplets, and 2. some pick up notes (again poorly done). Does it change meter? Maybe, time will tell...I think the pick up notes could suggest a change of meter in a phrase, but I don't think I 'randomly' change meter, just inadvertently change tempo.

Definitely a drummer is on my Christmas list! Unfortunately I chose to do "solo guitar". If I would have know how difficult to put all the pieces together on that challenge I might have stuck to golf or some other more constructive pastime. Solo guitar is TOUGH! But I am working on it. It is the 'sound in my mind' I heard when I was young. Wow, where would I be if I wouldn't have waited till my mid 30s to start learning?

I never learned to tap my foot in time and have a difficult time counting past one.

Maybe after all this effort I will make one of those steps up to the next plateau...or run squarely into a wall. Ha!

Be well
D

If you're anything like I was, which it sounds like you are, you're anticipating what note comes next by remembering the melody in your head, rather than remembering where a note lands in relation to the underlying pulse. And because of that there is no underlying pulse as the gaps between notes are not consistent - it would be like having a conversation where the gap between each syllable varied (but we can actually talk fluently, because we have what they call "beat awareness" - it is fundamental to language).

Tapping your foot is a great help. But you have to be careful to follow your foot rather than have your foot follow your hands. So be sure to use a metronome!

None of this is easy if you've never put the time in to work on rhythm. Give it time. But you'll know when you're onto something, you won't just hear it in your playing. You'll feel it too.

Last edited by s0cks; 11-20-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:02 PM

Just to follow up on my earlier reply, I came across the following while looking for instructions on how to compose into Guitar Pro. Notice how this guy uses the same free flowing, but defined metering.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write