The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Nylon Strings with a G (3rd) wound

So I just scored a Lucero LC150SCE with crappy strings on it.
I went on the net looking for info and I ended up with a headache, wow, so many ways to go, but not many with a 3rd wound G.

I would appreciated any input.

I read doing a search on the forum that D'addario sets come with both?

Also, any input on the tension would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM

Wound 3rds are out of balance with nylon trebles..if you want one try Savarez. A better choice to solve the "tubbiness" problem is Knobloch Active Carbon 3rd string.
Strings by Mail, the newest AGF sponsor sells both individually.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
Wound 3rds are out of balance with nylon trebles..if you want one try Savarez. A better choice to solve the "tubbiness" problem is Knobloch Active Carbon 3rd string.
Strings by Mail, the newest AGF sponsor sells both individually.
^^^spot-on recommendation^^^

I use a Savarez Alliance 3rd along with my J45s. No tubbiness at all.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

dogsnax, ct20 thank you for you input, but I feel like an idiot, what does "No tubbiness" and "Carbon 3rd string" mean? the last time I had a Nylon (lapatrie)
years ago I put on GHS Doyle Dykes "La Classique" that came with a 3rd wound and I thought they sounded good, but not great so I wanted to try a different brand with a wound 3rd.

Thank you so much for your patience.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:26 AM

I've always called it "the Elusive G" and felt like the gauge is wrong somehow. It never sounds very good to me. Plus it seems to be the one that gets out of tune more than the others.

Carbon Fiber, eh? Expensive?

Has anyone used the nylgut type of string there?
Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 AM

RRGGUITARMAN..nylon G strings often seem to sound "dead" compared to the brighter penetrating sound of B and high E strings and the full depth of bass strings. People refer to them as sounding tubby.
Regular nylon strings are thought by many to be a traditional/Spanish sounding trebles. Trebles made of carbon are brighter, more bell like sounding. Many people find the B and high E too bright. The carbon G string is bright enough to be a good transition form bass to treble sounds. Stings By Mail (the newest AGF sponsor) sells KnoblochActice Carbon MT G strings for $3.19. They sell a wound Savarez G string under Speciality Strings for $2.99 (527R). I used the wound G strings for a while, but decided they sounded too harsh and loud...out of balance with both basses and trebles
Harpon..I tried the Aquila Alabastro nylagut strings for a while. They are an interesting compromise between tradition nylon and carbon. I liked them, but prefer the more bell like or piano like sound of carbon trebles.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ct20 View Post
RRGGUITARMAN..nylon G strings often seem to sound "dead" compared to the brighter penetrating sound of B and high E strings and the full depth of bass strings. People refer to them as sounding tubby.
Regular nylon strings are thought by many to be a traditional/Spanish sounding trebles. Trebles made of carbon are brighter, more bell like sounding. Many people find the B and high E too bright. The carbon G string is bright enough to be a good transition form bass to treble sounds. Stings By Mail (the newest AGF sponsor) sells KnoblochActice Carbon MT G strings for $3.19. They sell a wound Savarez G string under Speciality Strings for $2.99 (527R). I used the wound G strings for a while, but decided they sounded too harsh and loud...out of balance with both basses and trebles
Harpon..I tried the Aquila Alabastro nylagut strings for a while. They are an interesting compromise between tradition nylon and carbon. I liked them, but prefer the more bell like or piano like sound of carbon trebles.

Thank you so much for that. Makes more sense.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Yes. A standard mono-filament G string can sound a tad "dead". The problem is that if you use a wound G it makes the B string sound a tad "dead".

My strings of choice are La Bella 860. These have standard bases (silverplated copper wound on nylon filament) but the G and B strings are nylon thread wound on nylon multi-filament. They are "brighter" than the normal mono-filament trebles. The 1st string is mono-filament. They sound great and are reasonably priced.

http://www.juststrings.com/lab-860.html

http://www.labella.com/wp-content/up...017Catalog.pdf

PS. IMHO - although many people recommend them - Savarez strings are silly prices and no better than many strings costing considerably less.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 AM

You can also try the Hannabach Goldin extra high carbon on the third string - on my guitar it works even better than the Savarez...
Old 10-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Thank you so much for all your input.
So much to learn and try.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

I am mostly a steel string fingerstyle player converted to playing hybrid nylon guitars for years.

While I like the tone, and honestly prefer, most of the "better" wound G string offerings, I find I wear them out in a matter of weeks. I have opted for Oasis GPX Plus+ HT Trebles and MHT Bass. The G is not wound but offers nice tone and blends to the wound Basses well.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM

What about "rectified nylon" I just got a set of D'Adario with rectified nylon trebles. They are slightly more cost than the normal nylon.

Also- with further wound trebles- do they squeak much? Or is the winding somehow finer ?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I had no idea that there would be so many ways to go.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Well, I'm just asking for someone's opinion: How about rectified nylon? Anyone with any experience playing those?

There ARE actually a lot of choices these days- more than a decade ago- probably a good deal, but it does leave us guessing!

Here's a "synthetic version of gut and silk"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquila-55C-...-/182788702137
Old 11-12-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
So I just scored a Lucero LC150SCE with crappy strings on it.
I went on the net looking for info and I ended up with a headache, wow, so many ways to go, but not many with a 3rd wound G.

I would appreciated any input.

I read doing a search on the forum that D'addario sets come with both?

Also, any input on the tension would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I use GHS Set 2510. Nickel coated with a wound third.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical