The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-29-2017, 06:50 PM

Yay Flickr... I started using it cause I needed a "host to post" on some CF guitar site from years gone by.... Handy with the quick access to various sizes ... and I have thousands of photos saved there.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Yay Flickr... I started using it cause I needed a "host to post" on some CF guitar site from years gone by.... Handy with the quick access to various sizes ... and I have thousands of photos saved there.
Yes sir! Flickr is a great choice. . Thank you.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I'm interested in how you like your x7 after having it for a while?
Old 11-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I'm interested in how you like your x7 after having it for a while?
I'm enjoying it. The size is what I wanted, the tone and playability are very good. And, the price was quite reasonable. It's a keeper. It does pique my interest in the X10, however. Just a little larger and likely offering just a bit more in sound and frequency response.

That said, I really don't need any more guitars! .

Between the RainSong CH-OM1100NS and the X7, I've got a very competent pair of temp/humidity impervious instruments. And if I had to give up one of these two instruments (which I don't want to do), I'd be keeping the CH-OM1100NS.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
I'm enjoying it. The size is what I wanted, the tone and playability are very good. And, the price was quite reasonable. It's a keeper. It does pique my interest in the X10, however. Just a little larger and likely offering just a bit more in sound and frequency response.

That said, I really don't need any more guitars! .

Between the RainSong CH-OM1100NS and the X7, I've got a very competent pair of temp/humidity impervious instruments. And if I had to give up one of these two instruments (which I don't want to do), I'd be keeping the CH-OM1100NS.

Thanks for your reply. Is emerald making x10's? I didn't see any on their website
Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Is emerald making x10's? I didn't see any on their website
I recently sent them an email asking whether they would make one and at what price. Haven't heard back yet.

As for myself, I think the X10 would really be the sweet spot in Emerald's line up. But apparently they think otherwise.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I understand an X10 can presently be built, but some of us are interested in the reintroduction X10 that Emerald plans in the future.

There were questions of the X10 about a year ago in the following thread,
a response from Emerald Guitars can be found in post #9 of that thread.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=447193
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 11-05-2017, 07:37 AM

I have an X 10 ... but an older center sound hole thingy
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Guest 928

I had the same "center hole thingy" mentioned by The Kramster and I have a new custom X10-OSN. For me the 10 is an ideal size.

I suspect that the 10 is not a current production model because Emerald has been busy keeping up with demand for the smaller 7, the larger 20, and numerous custom requests. I also suspect that if and when the 10 comes back on line it will benefit from innovations in material, build, shape and finish.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had the same "center hole thingy" mentioned by The Kramster and I have a new custom X10-OSN. For me the 10 is an ideal size.

I suspect that the 10 is not a current production model because Emerald has been busy keeping up with demand for the smaller 7, the larger 20, and numerous custom requests. I also suspect that if and when the 10 comes back on line it will benefit from innovations in material, build, shape and finish.
Evan, if you don’t mind, I’d appreciate it if you can please post about the specs of your X10, realizing that yours is a nylon model. My interest is in steel string and a 1.75 neck width, so I wonder what the best scale length would be for a steel string on that guitar. I’d like to try to compare to the published specs of the X7 and X20. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:19 PM
Guest 928

Acousticado;

Mine is as follows: 25.6" scale, Length 39", body length 17 1/2", maximum width 14 1/2", weight 3 1/2 lbs. In short, the perfect size.

We've just hacked one Emerald thread with another Emerald.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Acousticado;

Mine is as follows: 25.6" scale, Length 39", body length 17 1/2", maximum width 14 1/2", weight 3 1/2 lbs. In short, the perfect size.

We've just hacked one Emerald thread with another Emerald.
Haha, yep.

Thanks for the specs. Your X10 does seem like a nice size.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Guest 928

Tom;

If you wanted more information, the search function for Emerald X10-OSN Specifications brings up a thread that pretty discusses all aspects of the instrument.

To bring the thread back to some resemblance of where it started, I'm using the X7 as the basis of the electric instrument being crafted by Alistair. The electric will be a hollow body around 2" thick. I think that for the electric the 7 is a better size than the 10. Also, the electric will have a new fangled pickup that might also be used for a steel string acoustic/electric--I'm not sure about this so you would have to check in with Emerald.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:17 PM

I've had my X7 for about three weeks. It sustains for days...or so it seems.

I recently put new strings on it (Martin SP Lights, PB 12-54) They seem to give the guitar a bit more bass than the D'Addarios it came with from the factory. Still quite lively on this guitar.

For me, the X7 fills a niche. I want a guitar to take with me when I travel, or have out on the boat to putz around the lake I live on. I also wanted an instrument and that is suited to strummed or finger-style play;this one seems quite capable at both.

That said, it still sounds like a small guitar in that it does not have the deep resonate tone I get from my larger wood-bodied instruments. That's fine; I expected as much when I placed my order. I'll continue to experiment with different strings over the next several months to see if that beefs up the sound. Otherwise, I'm pretty satisfied with it as-is.

Prior to ordering the Emerald, I played Blackbirds, Journey and various Rainsong models. Of those, I was quite impressed with the RS Shorty. It's a somewhat bigger box with a more refined tone.

In the end I purchased the new Emerald, because it was more travel friendly, I could order it the way I wanted it, and get it new from the factory at a fair price. Besides, there was a lot of positive buzz in the CF forum about Emerald, so I thought I'd give them at try.

Glad to hear you're happy with yours. I'll look forward to further comments from you and others on this model.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Hey Blunote... we're definitely on the same page. The X7 fills a niche; and isn't expected to be all things for all needs. It has a very nice tone with a moderate volume which is exactly as one would expect from a guitar its size. I'm enjoying mine, too!

And, we agree on the RainSong CH-OM1100NS. It's a bit larger than the X7, but the volume and tone quality is stunning. If I HAD to live with only one acoustic guitar, given my arid climate, the CH-OM1100NS could easily be the one. And even if temp & humidity conditions were not a factor, the CH-OM1100NS could still easily be the one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber