The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM

I'd be curious on preamp quality between the two as well...
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 AM

Default Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
One pedal I sold off afterwards was the Zoom G3. Was happy to find a similar two channel parametric eq in the Helix. I see the Felix only has one. With the two channel capability of the Helix, the same can be done. Also, you can take one input, run it through a single path, and split that path with a crossover. I did this to copy Chris Squire's bass rig. Low frequencies go into an Ampeg bass stack, and the high frequencies go into a Marshall guitar amp. Again, amps and cabs could be taken out and you could additionally eq two paths of high and low frequencies and add compression as well in each path. The beauty of the Helix is all of this fancy routing is done graphically onboard the Helix's screen. Can also be done via your computer. Another cool feature is interfacing DAWs via USB. Pretty much takes out any latency issues. Somehow it takes over everything provided you run monitors out the Helix. Drawback is for eq I prefer more knobs which your Felix has. Yes the Helix does have knobs, but compared to other pedals, it's like driving a car without power steering vs one with power steering; takes more turns of a knob, but it is wayyy better than previous Boss effects I've had using buttons to get through submenus and then holding down another button to adjust.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
One pedal I sold off afterwards was the Zoom G3. Was happy to find a similar two channel parametric eq in the Helix. I see the Felix only has one.
You are mistaken. Felix has TWO paraEQ's, one for each channel. And Felix has a notch on each channel, that someone else in this thread said Helix can't do. So Felix was designed specifically for dual channel guitar rigs, whereas Helix is clearly much more flexible with a wide variety of applications.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-15-2017, 06:28 AM

Default Helix? on acoustic? Dual Source?

Quote:
Helix does not have a feedback notch filter like the Felix has, but going through QSC or Quilter gear I use takes care of that for me. If you have feed back issues Schultz, you might want to hang on to your Felix.

It has numerous eqs including parametric. So yes, it has a notch filter depending on your definition. I don’t know how the notch on the Felix works.

I actually have a 10 band eq in my acoustic chain that is normally off. I can quickly turn it on to fine tune for a room or to cut feedback. Someone with better skills could do better on the feedback with a parametric eq.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
You are mistaken. Felix has TWO paraEQ's, one for each channel. And Felix has a notch on each channel, that someone else in this thread said Helix can't do. So Felix was designed specifically for dual channel guitar rigs, whereas Helix is clearly much more flexible with a wide variety of applications.
In some applications I needed a two band parametric eq going through one channel. I had looked at the Felix but passed because it was just one per. I solved the issue by not using that particular amp. I had faced three frequencies creating feedback on my doubleneck,plus the melody side of my Stick had issues with a couple of amps. Problem solved via selling the amps and going with a PA. Feedback is a funny thing depending on both instrument and amp used. I have been able to cut feedback via the eq on the Helix, but having the notch filter in a good pedal saves time. If you can do it, hang on to your Felix if you get a Helix until you are comfortable with what it can do.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
If you can do it, hang on to your Felix if you get a Helix until you are comfortable with what it can do.

Absolutely. I'm getting a Helix mainly for electric. If it can handle my acoustics, either single pickup or dual, that would be the icing on the cake.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

From all I gather, Helix 'can work' for Acoustic guitar but does not seem to 'cater to acoustic guitar.'
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
From all I gather, Helix 'can work' for Acoustic guitar but does not seem to 'cater to acoustic guitar.'
I'm not sure what that means. It can cater to an acoustic guitar just fine.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I would hope the Felix is better quality based on the price.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'm not sure what that means. It can cater to an acoustic guitar just fine.
If you don't add an amp or cab or any pedals in the signal chain, it's essentially just a DI. Someone could test how this sounds compared to a plain DI or acoustic amp, etc.

Anyone?
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
If you don't add an amp or cab or any pedals in the signal chain, it's essentially just a DI. Someone could test how this sounds compared to a plain DI or acoustic amp, etc.

Anyone?
If you don't add an amp, cab or pedal then what are you using it for??

I wouldn't add an amp or a cab, but I do add a tube studio preamp. There's no cab needed going to FRFR.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
If you don't add an amp, cab or pedal then what are you using it for??

I wouldn't add an amp or a cab, but I do add a tube studio preamp. There's no cab needed going to FRFR.
Obviously the flexibility of adding all that stuff. I was just suggesting a stripped down basic test to see how it sounds to just plugging a guitar into an acoustic amp.

If the signal chain is empty, is there any preamp involved by default? I don't have one yet so maybe this is an obvious question... sorry.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-15-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Obviously the flexibility of adding all that stuff. I was just suggesting a stripped down basic test to see how it sounds to just plugging a guitar into an acoustic amp.

If the signal chain is empty, is there any preamp involved by default? I don't have one yet so maybe this is an obvious question... sorry.
If the signal chain is empty, what comes out is the same as what goes in. No preamp by default.

No sense going through the Helix into an acoustic amp since then you're hitting the preamp of the acoustic amp and getting the sound of that amp. Just plug in directly. Acoustic guitar amps are not full range flat response.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
If the signal chain is empty, what comes out is the same as what goes in. No preamp by default.

No sense going through the Helix into an acoustic amp since then you're hitting the preamp of the acoustic amp and getting the sound of that amp. Just plug in directly. Acoustic guitar amps are not full range flat response.
OK, thanks. And yes I agree.

So then comparing it to the Felix... it would be interesting to compare the preamp and controls of the Felix with an EQ and Gain module in the Helix.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
OK, thanks. And yes I agree.

So then comparing it to the Felix... it would be interesting to compare the preamp and controls of the Felix with an EQ and Gain module in the Helix.
I haven't paid much attention to the Felix but I'll take a look and see what I can add.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification