The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 01:50 PM

I owned a double guitar stand from Hercules for several years and used it without any problems. Really liked it too. Then one day I went to use it and the mechanism that adjusts the neck up and down just fell apart in my hand. It was as if parts of the rubber or plastic had turned to a wet tar. Customer service treated me great and I received a replacement, only problem is one side of the stand that holds the headstock was assembled incorrectly and the arms that grab the neck are aligned improperly. I'm living with it.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:52 PM

six or seven years ago I had a Herc double stand fall apart at the "flippers". Emailed Hercules, and basically was told to pound sand because I hadn't saved the receipt. That was the last Hercules product I ever purchased. Been using Ultimate Stands S100 since. More compact, every bit as secure, and no moving parts to break ... much more road-worthy.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Could be quality control of the plastic composite used is periodically lacking leaving it susceptible to changes in temp or age deterioration. Tackiness in polymers is usually a function of poor QC and/or an aging issue. I must say, though, that I've never seen a guitar knocked out of any floor stand. I have seen the entire floor stand get knocked over with the guitar sitting properly in it. The locking device of the Hercules is more gimmick than a measure of security on a floor stand that, like any floor stand, might be left in harm's way. Moving to the wall mounts, again, I've never seen one without such a locking device that wasn't a safe design. But, people can be sold on safer, meaning, if something is safe then safer is pretty much hyperbole.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:39 PM

I ordered one so I'll see. I will print out and save the receipt.
I'm in the polymer business (PA6) and polymers can break down on a molecular level given the right conditions.
Sorta like a nitro finish softening whike in contact with some softer plastics however I have rarely if ever run across a true polymer doing this .
Rubberized mixtures can do it but even then it usually is added by some sort of solvent
Seems an easy enough issue to address
Wonder why it keeps cropping up

NW
Old 11-23-2017, 03:44 PM

Makes you wonder why these stands have such an enthusiastic following! I never saw the point of the flipper thing. If the stand gets knocked hard enough to tip, those flippers won't do a thing to protect the guitar, and I distrust anything that leaves my guitar dangling-unless it's a wall hanger and out of harm's way.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Makes you wonder why these stands have such an enthusiastic following! I never saw the point of the flipper thing. If the stand gets knocked hard enough to tip, those flippers won't do a thing to protect the guitar, and I distrust anything that leaves my guitar dangling-unless it's a wall hanger and out of harm's way.
So what do you use on stage? Those $20 tube frames are worthless, and the a-frame styles even worse. I agree and think that those "flippers" are just a gimmick, and really don't make anything more secure.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
The handles on two of my Hercules stands became tacky/sticky over the course of several years. I emailed Hercules and then sent 2 brand new stands no questions asked.

Not only are they the best stands available, but you can't beat that kind of guarantee. I would buy without a second thought.
Same thing here - the single kind w/grabby arms - it was 15-20 years old though. The plastic part in it recently exploded. I emailed them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

I own two 5 guitar stands, two 3 guitar stands and one single - all Hercules.

Top notch customer service. Buy with confidence.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-27-2017, 02:06 PM

In older models the plastic height adjuster can first get sticky then break up. I had one get sticky. Hercules sent me a new one. This was about a year ago. No receipt but did email pics.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM

I have seven Hercules wall hangers in three rooms (and one on the outdoor patio) plus two 414 single-guitar floor stands. I like how the single guitar stands lean back further than most, and how the flippers help keep the guitar in the yoke. Once in a while, a guitar might get bumped or the cord might get snagged, and I've found that having some extra security at the headstock can make the difference between falling off the stand or not. If you bump any stand hard enough, it will go over -- there is no stand that is infallible.

Some of my Hercules stands or wall hangers are nearly 20 years old now, and there have been zero issues with parts or damage to the guitars hanging in them. At this point, Hercules is the only thing in my house.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:23 PM

No problems with mine at all , great product
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Makes you wonder why these stands have such an enthusiastic following!
Honestly, I think it is because they are the only company brave enough to even remotely claim their stands are nitro safe. I will only use Hercules stands when a towel or cloth isn't available to use with a standard stand.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Same thing here - the single kind w/grabby arms - it was 15-20 years old though. The plastic part in it recently exploded. I emailed them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

I own two 5 guitar stands, two 3 guitar stands and one single - all Hercules.

Top notch customer service. Buy with confidence.
Yeah, I think they have a good design. We had a three guitar stand in our rehearsal room. Those guitars were always safe and sound. I have a three guitar stand and a single in my house. Never had an issue with functionality and they don’t corrode over time like the typical stand with rubber tubing.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:39 PM

I've got two Hercules 5-guitar stands, as well as two of the single Hercules acoustic stands.

No problems at all with mine.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
So what do you use on stage? Those $20 tube frames are worthless, and the a-frame styles even worse. I agree and think that those "flippers" are just a gimmick, and really don't make anything more secure.
I use Quiklok a-frame and have done for over 20 years. Never had anything break, fall off or fail on the several I own. Welded steel tends to be pretty tough stuff.

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=pr...3&sName=QL-633
Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I have four Hercules hangers on my den walls, two over my basement work-area, one tripod stand and two spares in boxes still.

I have never had a single issue with these ever.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion