The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-30-2017, 08:31 AM

Default More Carbon Fiber Picks

"Carbon Tones" by Timber Tones

http://www.timber-tones.com/carbon-tones-349-c.asp

Haven't tried any of them yet, but they're just like $5 to $7 each.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 AM

I've been making some CF picks lately (amongst other components). I have some 0.2mm picks which have the approximate stiffness of a 0.5mm nylon pick (I haven't performed any proper stress tests... I'm going purely by feel). I have also made some 0.4mm ones which feel like 0.8-1mm nylon. I love the way they look and there is definitely a difference in tone in my opinion.... (not necessarily for the better, but that is a matter of taste I guess)

I do worry about the damage caused to the strings though, Due to CF being so abrasive..... Also the 0.2mm picks are like little razors.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:47 AM

I mostly think of them as a novelty item, unless you need a pick that is both stiff and thin. As for being hard on the strings, I doubt it's as bad as using stone or metal. Still hard to believe that Brian May (of Queen) uses a sixpence coin as a pick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber